Irreponsible Pet Owners!!!

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Since there is no "Pet Forum" on this website, and I don't feel the soapbox will give this maximum exposure , I am posting the following here:

Any pet owner that walks there pet dog UNLEASHED in a public place such as a truck stop is an irresponsible pet owner IMO! You truly cannot insure complete and total control of your dog no matter what you may believe. At least when leased, if your dog chooses to attack unprovoked another person or that person's pet, and when all verbal commands have failed, you could at least yank the beast back into it's senses or attempt drag it away. This irresponsible behavior of one pet owner proved fatal.

Today as I listened to "Pet Talk" on Sirius Radio 147, I sat horrified hearing the story being told by an obviously upset female driver. As she described, she and her husband recently pulled into the Pilot at Lake Havasu City,AZ to fuel. While her husband fueled the truck, she proceeded to take her two Yorkie dogs out for a potty break. No sooner had she put them down, out of nowhere came two UNLEASHED Bullmastiffs that immediately attacked her Yorkies and then herself as she tried in vain to save her dogs. Although she fought ALONE for all she was worth, she was unable to save one of the Yorkies and its neck was broken and it was then killed before her eyes by one of the Bullmastiffs. People stood by and watched as this was happening and did nothing to aid her, including the owner of these two dogs. the owner was a female traveling with her two young boys and a third Bullmastiff in a Penske rental truck according to the victim.

I personally probably would have gone postal and found a way to kill both of these dogs and most likely gone to jail, but Lake Havasu City Animal Control chose to do nothing more than write an "incident report" and allow the owner to leave with the offending dogs according to the victim. WRONG!!! Those dogs should have been impounded IMMEDIATELY!!!

From here on out when I walk my dog I will carry my tire thumpper and pepper spray. If a dog I don't know approaches me or my dog in what I feel a potentially threatening way and there is no owner attached to the end of a leash, I will first pepper spray the animal, then if needed I will use the tire thumpper in self defense! If I offend anyone in the process, I DON'T CARE!!! I don't let my dog run loose and I don't let her run up to a stranger and jump on them or their dogs.

The incident in Lake Havasu City,AZ should have never been allowed to happen!!! My heart goes out to this team for this senseless loss.

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If I read that right the woman was attacked along with her dogs. I don't see how the people would be allowed to leave if the dogs attacked a human. The yorkie owner will hopefully have civil remedies available if nothing else.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
If I read that right the woman was attacked along with her dogs. I don't see how the people would be allowed to leave if the dogs attacked a human. The yorkie owner will hopefully have civil remedies available if nothing else.

I totally agree with you Leo. In her narrative of the incident it sounds as if the attack was primarily on her two dogs, yet as she fought she herself became a target in an indirect manner. IMO, if the Bullmastiff(s) even threatened her while killing her dog(s), Animal Control should have impounded them for review to see if they were a danger. They did not. I am writting a letter to Lake Havasu City Animal Control to inquire about the alledged incident and question their handling of the event.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
When you write that letter, ask whether there is no law requiring pet owners to maintain control of their pet at all times - it seems to be a common sense law that every city has, it's hard to believe they don't have it.
I agree: unleashed dogs are uncontrolled, and should never be allowed in any public place.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
The biggest kick I get everyday is watching pet owner dogs taking them for a walk.Little dogs dragging their owners anywhere they want to go.These people spoil their dogs like their kids.I guess they just don't know how easy it is to train a dog.Dogs aren't dumb like horses.A horse doesn't have a brain any bigger than a pig.Horses are trained by repetition.Everything they learn is just by habit.Dogs are very intellegent,some breeds smarter than others,but are all trainable,You can even train a wolf,if you get them young enough.The person that owned the dog in this story is responsible ,and can have a lawsuit.Most states have a leash law

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
When I first started driving truck,I ran with a German Shephard.I quit taking him when they came up with the leash thing.This dog never needed a leash.was completely controllable by voice command.As long as I was around,he was a gentle as a lamb.If you broke in my truck or home,you would only have a problem if you tried to leave.You were going to be there 'til I showed up.If he needed to go for a walk,thats all he would do,other dogs wouldn't distract him.Writing about this dog,makes me sad,someone shot him, they would of had to come on the farm to do it,cause he would never leave the boundry of the farm.
Just remember,If your dog drags you around when your walking them,your doing them an unjustice by spoiling them

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Well....when I find a open area I let my dog run off his leash....he's been cooped up In the van forever....its his treat.....he's only 4# so I don't think he is too dangerous.....

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Well....when I find a open area I let my dog run of his leash....he's been cooper up In the van forever....its his treat.....he's o.ly 4 # so I don't think he is to dangerous.....

He's not too dangerous but there's an awful lot of dangers out there to him. Our little guys can take off a lot faster than what you'd think.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
He's not too dangerous but there's an awful lot of dangers out there to him. Our little guys can take off a lot faster than what you'd think.

This dog is not going anywhere....he loves to stretch his little legs..
It's his time to be a dog.....

Hightech_Hobo

Expert Expediter
Dog owners DO spoil their pets and I have to admit to being one of them. I travel with a 17 y/o Pekenese and I rarely use the leash. Even if I did I agree they need time off the leash "to be a dog"...Being a dog sometimes results in a fight...and unfortunatly some times dogs die in a fight...It happens.

If my dog is the aggressor in that fight and the owner of the other dog bashes her over the head with a tire iron to save his or her dog...I have to deal with that...mine and my dogs bad..the same goes for visa versa.

Larger dogs do require more regulation...but it all comes down to basic courtesy, common sense and allowance for the S&^t happens factor and responsibility.

In so many things Americans seem to want to be protected from any thing bad. Can anyone deny we have become so protectionist that all the regulations, rules and restrictions are choking us...

$5it happens!! Deal with it and move on....

HT Hobo

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Keep this in mind when running that #4 dog. He is a GREAT size for a hawk, eagle or other type of predator to have for lunch. Coyotes would take it too. Don't allow it to swim in certain waters either. I once saw a tiny little poodle get eaten by a rather large muskie. My wife's uncle's dog, about 4lbs was carried off hawk while he watched.

shadow7663

Expert Expediter
How about the people who let their dogs just crap anywhere and everywhere and look the other way like nothing ever happened. FOR GOD SAKES CLEAN UP AFTER YOUR PETS!!!!!!!!!!!!! ok rant over........:D

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I don't believe there are too many dogs at Truck stops leaving gallon jugs of Urine all over the parking lot.:rolleyes:

TheRebel

Seasoned Expediter
Since there is no "Pet Forum" on this website, and I don't feel the soapbox will give this maximum exposure , I am posting the following here:

Any pet owner that walks there pet dog UNLEASHED in a public place such as a truck stop is an irresponsible pet owner IMO! You truly cannot insure complete and total control of your dog no matter what you may believe. .

I totally agree with you.

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
I've never seen the dog I couldn't kill with my bare hands in about 5 seconds flat.

Not saying I wouldn't be injured in the process, but the dog will always come up short in that exchange.

I love animals but I won't hesitate to kill them when necessary.

fired at you from my Droideka

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
What timing for a subject like this. My folks will be getting a dog when they get back from vacation next week. There's a hawk outside, which my dad really enjoys watching. How big would a dog have to be to be safe from the Hawk? I don't know what kind they're going to get. I know my dad is partial to poodles though, so there's a decent chance that might be it. My mom is getting it as a suprise for my dad.

On the OP, my condolances to the owners of the yorkies. I'm floored by the crack addicts who can't or won't control their pets. I can almost see it now as those people are probably off laughing & bragging about how tough their f'in dogs are. Sometimes in those cases I don't think it's the dogs who should be put down, but the f'in owners.

Keep this in mind when running that #4 dog. He is a GREAT size for a hawk, eagle or other type of predator to have for lunch. Coyotes would take it too. Don't allow it to swim in certain waters either. I once saw a tiny little poodle get eaten by a rather large muskie. My wife's uncle's dog, about 4lbs was carried off hawk while he watched.

jw-bama

Seasoned Expediter
this very thing happened to me at the wilco in latta,sc. it was early morning maybe 10 trucks in the whole parking lot. i was walking my pit bull dog on a leash,even though he is a perfect gentlemen,i raised pits for 40 years and do know that even the calmest dog (any breed) can get out of hand,anyway a guy pulls in and parks right in the middle of the parking lot and opens the door and a huge black pit bulldog jumps out and makes a bee line for my dog. now he is about 100 yards away which gives me time to tell ole Mudflap to lay down and there just happen to be a pallet someone threw out of their truck laying on the grass.to make a long story short i tore a 2x4 off the bottom and when the dog arrived i hit him between the eyes .which knocked him out.the owner came running across the parking lot begging me to spare his dog.i did not kill the dog but scolded the owner very harshly and he carried his dog back to his truck. ole Mudflap never moved he just laid there knowing i wasnt going to let any thing happen to him.