questions. Enjoyed attending MATS this year and
meeting several expediters there too.
Any folks out there want to post
their first few months experiences??

Reactions: 1 person

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Welcome to the Forum. Your analogy about having kids is a good one, in normal times. It's different right now. I REALLY hope things will pick up by the end of the summer. But, if they don't, it will be very tough to come into this business and be successful.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Welcome to EO! Are you planning to drive for a fleet owner or buying a truck? Have you chosen a company to drive for?

TeamTLC

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for the welcome aboard Pelicn! We bought a truck
and we'll be another one of those much loved FCC
uniformed couples..............Gotta love it!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
TeamTLC has been doing a lot of reading, a lot of research, and then attended MATS to also network with even more people. They are going into this with their eyes open and if anyone can make a go of it I believe these two can. They are as prepared as you can be to jump out here. To top all of that off they are a really nice couple and FCC will be very lucky to have them. They will also look very nice in "PURPLE"!

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Hello everyone. We will begin our career later this
summer if all goes well. We have been researching,
reading and learning about expediting since last
summer. Of course there are many that say
now is not the time, but I think it is like having
children if you wait for the perfect time does it
really ever arrive? Now is our time and we look
forward to what lies ahead!
Thanks to those who are willing to share and
make our experience a little less painful in the
beginning!!!! Many thanks to TeamCaffee as
they have been answering tons of
questions. Enjoyed attending MATS this year and
meeting several expediters there too.
Any folks out there want to post
their first few months experiences??

I can smell success here, even in tough times. Get stubborn on Survival and Excellence. :)

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
Hi Jack. Straight Truck, 2006 Sterling 960 express cruiser.

ahh the sterling gambit nice move most inexpensive used truck out there. going cheap becouse people don't understand freightliner is backing them for ten years longer than you will own it nice move been thinking that way myself

TeamTLC

Seasoned Expediter
You bet! We got a fantastic deal. All the bells and whistles,
96" bentz sleeper, apu, automatic...Feel we are lucky to
find a truck like this to get started in. Leaves us more
funds for those unexpected breakdowns on the road.
Heard there are problems with the EGR on Sterlings,
but it has been replaced so 'maybe' we are in the clear!

Dghnc4

Seasoned Expediter
Team TLC,

My wife and I have also been doing our homework... We were wondering why you chose Fedex verses another co? We also are on the same path as you guys but have a roadblock, found out wife can only drive intrastate, due to vision... Still going to go with anyways, just solo, with spouse as rider. Any info you have that will help us would be greatly appreciated.

TeamTLC

Seasoned Expediter
Dghnc4, sorry to hear about your inability to drive as a team but sounds like you are still ready to go!! Sent you a PM
with a few of our "newbie" views on things.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Please don't take this wrong, TLC, I really hope the best for you but as one has tagged me as the in house pessimist, I am concern and I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but if you have all of this knowledge, what makes people think that they will make it under these conditions? People who are determined to make it wait for the right time or find something else.

Having children is a completely different issue, when you have kids there are ways to get help, in this business you are on your own and you can lose everything in a second or spend money just with insurance and other costs while sitting.

A lot of people are struggling right now and I feel that we will feel a lot more of a pinch in the near future due to a collapse of one of the auto companies or some other industry, maybe in the summer time we will start seeing the result of all the negitive political talk. We may have a bad July and august, so deal or no deal on the truck may not matter unless you are setup with the company to make money right out of the gate, you may have a very hard time if there are problems struggling by thinking within a box with the one company.

TeamTLC

Seasoned Expediter
Yes, I do sense you are a bit of a pessimist. Please remember that "making it" means different things to different people.
We all have different levels of what "success" means to each of us. Glad we are all different or this would be a very boring world we live in. I can respect your experience and comments, and we don't believe it is going to be easy. Thanks for hoping for
the best for us because that is what we are going to give it,
OUR BEST!!!! And yes, I am an optimist and will always take
the lemons and make delicious lemonade..........

youngsamuel

Seasoned Expediter
Hey Tlc, You asked for first experiences and I found out very quickly if I kept my food expenses to a minimum life was pretty good. You seem to have a good attitude that doesn't have "lofty" hopes. Does FXCC let you run ltl loads under their authority. That will be a great benefit if so.