Installing Fan-Tastic Roof Vent on GMC Vans

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Re: Installing Fan-Tastic Roof Vent On Cargo Vans

Already is, unless its been recently un-stickied. Not always easy to see what's stickied or not, I know, on some devices.

Yeah, right after I posted I noticed the pushpin on the thread name when I went back to that page :sheepish:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Mines going in as I type. Obviously I'm not doing it.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

Yeah, I do NOT want this thread to disappear. At least all the instructional stuff. 

It's a Sticky Thread. Like other Sticky Threads, it'll disappear if you only sort by 'new posts'. But each forum's Stickies will always be stuck at the top of each form when looking only at that forum.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Excellent tutorial JP! I found the most difficult part of my installation was cutting a hole in the roof of my brand new van. I have screens for my side windows which allow the windows to open about 4 inches. I usually run the fan on "exhaust" drawing air through the screens.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Where did you find screens for your van?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

The ones I have are made for big trucks and are called Breezeway Truck Screens. I got mine at the Oak Grove Petro sometime prior to 2004. At that time there were at least 3 different models to fit different trucks. Breezeway #3 looked the easiest to adapt to my Chevy so I bought it and customized it.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter

Excellent tutorial JP! I found the most difficult part of my installation was cutting a hole in the roof of my brand new van. I have screens for my side windows which allow the windows to open about 4 inches. I usually run the fan on "exhaust" drawing air through the screens.

Thanks, Moot. I realized after you suggested Adohen that I had been on their site before, ages ago and with another van, and was glad to see it again.

Yeah, cutting a big square hole in a perfectly good roof gives one pause, to be sure. Once I had my materials lined up, had done proper research as to how others had done it, and personal experience in cutting out even bigger sections of van roofs (for high tops), it was an easy step to cutting out.

I'm interested too, in what you've done for screens for front door windows. I've thought about cutting nylon window screen (repair screen from typical hardware store) to fit the entire window, then using hook & loop to keep it in place. Then I can roll my window up or down as far as I might want.

I already have the folding type windshield reflector cut to size for each door window, angle and all. I often put it in place even on overcast days, but with a lightweight black fabric on the outside, between it and the glass, then clip both to the top of the glass. I can then lower the window as much as I want and press the inside of the reflector into the door recess to fit.

Those, along with black side out on my windshield discs, makes it look like an empty van to a casual observer either driving or walking by, and does not have the tell tale silver often crumpled shine.

Having simple but effective window screens would add a lot.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Here's a link to Breezeway screens Home

21cExp

Veteran Expediter

I'm going to go up to the RV yards around Elkhart sometime, as I think Guido has mentioned in another thread recently, and see what I can find for good looking louvered type vents that will work in solid rear doors. Something I can use as is or modify to allow air and be screened.

As an experiment, sit in the heat sometime with no roof vent going and open only the front window(s) a bit, then open the rear door just an inch. The flow through you can create is pretty dramatic. Having rear door louvered vents will increase the air flow options I have in a wider variety of weather.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter

Here's a link to Breezeway screens Home

For a hands on look, they have them at the Iowa 80 Truck Stop too, west of Davenport:

ImageUploadedByEO Forums1369358872.204201.jpg

Priced at $39.99 & $58.99 for Breezeway #1 & 2 respectively. No #3's in stock at present, or I might've grabbed it to work on over the weekend.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Don't you worry about security while your sleeping? Seems like someone could just push or pull them off.

guido4475

Not a Member

Don't you worry about security while your sleeping? Seems like someone could just push or pull them off.

They lock in the upper window track and on top of the window.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter

They lock in the upper window track and on top of the window.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app
They are plastic...very, very plastic.

I'm with billg, I just don't trust people that far.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter

You could do what one of my drivers did years ago. He put a simple sticker on the sides of his van like the one attached. ImageUploadedByEO Forums1369412817.103126.jpg

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

You could do what one of my drivers did years ago. He put a simple sticker on the sides of his van like the one attached. View attachment 6890

Nothing like drawing the attention of dot or police. Did he have pot leaf stickers too?
:)
Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

If I had some 1/8 aluminum window vents made for GM vans that fit right where the glass is, would anyone want to purchase a set?? I'm thinking having it the same thickness as the glass, roll down the window, insert vent, close window tight against vent. I'd use aluminum channel along the bottom to "lock" onto the glass window. The top would lock into the existing window moldings. I believe it would be as strong or stronger then the glass that its replacing. I'll build a wood prototype this weekend and take pictures. The aluminum flat stock will cost about $50 alone, then whatever they need to cut them to match my template. If I could get more built at the same time the price should go down. Let me know if anyone is interested. Also will use bug screens on the actual vents. Airflow without the bug flow! lol