Installing Fan-Tastic Roof Vent on GMC Vans

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Re: Installing Fan-Tastic Roof Vent On Cargo Vans

I might. But I'll have to see these plastic ones first. The Breezeway ones.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter

I have considered doing something like that bill. I would be more interested in something along the same size as the Breezeway. I like the Breezeways fine...except for being plastic.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter

Rolling thru Joplin. Just bought my putty tape and Dicor and wifey bought the fan locally this week. Looks like its coming together!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Rolling thru Joplin. Just bought my putty tape and Dicor and wifey bought the fan locally this week. Looks like its coming together!

Just something to watch out for. My fan was wired with black as the hot lead. Your may not be but double check before connecting it

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter

Wow!' Thanks!! Hopefully there's a diagram or schematic or something if that's the case.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter

Wires on mine were marked that way too; black as hot, white as neg

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter

Isn't that kinda like A/C wiring? I'll make sure I'm somewhat sober when it's time to wire it up.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

Standard 110/120-volt AC electrical wiring is Black (+) Hot and White (-) Ground or neutral (or white is used to connect a switch to a circuit).

In automotive 12-volt chassis installations, and for things that run off the chassis electrical system, Black (-) Ground and Red (+) Hot. We all are familiar with that.

But in an RV installation where circuits service living quarters, White is always the Ground (or to a switch), and some other color, Black, Red, Blue is always the Hot wire.

The reason for RV living quarters being wired the same as household current is because when they build RVs they have the same electricians wire the 12v and the 110v living quarters circuits at the same time. That way there's no confusion when it comes time to connect shore power, and can be critical when using auto-switching power sources. The chassis wiring, which is like automotive wiring, will use the standard 12v red (+) and black (-). The vent fan may be 12-volts, but it's still living quarters.

So, generally speaking, in a two-wire connection, if the wires are black and red, that's obviously chassis wiring and black is (-) and red is (+). If the wire pair is black and white, the black becomes the (+) because the white is always (-).

Ground or (-) is usually never any other color but black or white. So, if a white wire is present it's usually the (-).

The one common excdeption to this would be automotive audio speaker wiring, where white and white/black are usually one of the speaker pairs, but that's really neither living quarters or chassis wiring.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I have the original, basic 3 speed, hand crank, intake/exhaust model. I ain't no fool. I knowed a black ground wire when I seen one. The only problem I had with using the black lead as a ground was reversing the polarity of the motor. The exhaust mode drew air in and the intake mode exhausted. Reversing the polarity on the fancier models with the rain sensor and other goodies could cause problems.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I will attempt to post some pics of my Breezeway screens. Ragman support team please stand by.

The Breezeway screens come with scored black plastic panels that you can cut or break off along the scored lines for a custom fit. Being that these are not made for vans I improvised a whole lot. I got the best fit I could by cutting the plastic panels and then using construction adhesive and bonded it to the screen. I used duct tape on the panels to prevent the scored lines from eventually breaking.

Attachments

• DSCN0145.jpg
    DSCN0145.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 26

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Wow! I'm on a roll. I"ll try another one. This is a pic of the screen in place. There is a channel on the bottom of the screen frame that fits over the window glass. Just raise the window and the top of the screen snugs up and into the window gasket. Note the side window visor that allows the window to open about 1" without letting in rain when the screen is not in place.

Attachments

• DSCN0147 (540x381).jpg
    DSCN0147 (540x381).jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 46

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

In conjunction with the Breezeway screens I cut a piece of 1" foil backed insulation board to cover the window below the screen. I bent an old hacksaw blade to use as spring tension to hold the insulation in place.

Attachments

• DSCN0149.jpg
    DSCN0149.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 37

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Breezeway screen with insulation, installed and ready to use.

Attachments

• DSCN0150.JPG
    DSCN0150.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 102

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Thanks! I wish I could post pictures without going the thumbnail route. Last year I had "some posting privileges" suspended for using the "N" word in a post, um, maybe it was the "I" word. Since about that time I haven't been able to post 640 pixel wide pics.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter

Yeah, absolutely, Moot, cool contribution to this thread, which maybe should be re-titled "Van Ventilation" or similar.

The images show up just fine on my phone and iPad, and I can stretch the image size on both. Not sure how they show up on a regular monitor or laptop screen. I've posted some directly from my phone's camera roll before that end up tiny when viewed on the laptop screen but are okay on the EO forums app.

I thought I saw that the max longest side is 600 for these forums. What I did for the how-to on the roof vent was choose all my images, resized all to 600, then uploaded them. They appear bigger on all devices. I believe.

Anyway, I like your Breezeway mod and wish they'd had the #3's at Iowa 80 yesterday; I'd be sitting here at the state park picnic table modifying a pair of those instead of posting ;) . Sizes 1 & 2 are way too big, too tall, to effectively mod for CV's.

I have those same window rain visors, that fit up into the window gasket instead of mount on the door itself. Love them.

I'm also inspired by what you've done to make some insulation board window pieces to replace my cut-to-fit folding reflectors, which are nice and easy to stow but not as rigid, or effective, I'm sure.

Last edited:

21cExp

Veteran Expediter

If I had some 1/8 aluminum window vents made for GM vans that fit right where the glass is, would anyone want to purchase a set? ... Airflow without the bug flow! lol

I may be interested, Bill, depending on cost and how your prototype ends up looking and working. Sounds interesting, for sure, and who knows...maybe you'll design something that will take off and next year you'll be sitting behind a desk overseeing production orders at Bill's Very Nice Vents...