I'm a total noob, need help!

poondog

Active Expediter
Let me start by introducing myself, I'm Larry. I'm getting ready to take early retirement from a state job, and am thinking about trying expediting, but don't really know where to start.
I can afford to buy a new truck of some type, probably a van or sprinter. I live in the Reno area and would like to run the western states, however most of the ads for trucks seem to be mid-west or east coast. What companies run the west?

So where do I go from here?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
So where do I go from here?
East of the Mississippi River, mostly. There's a reason why most of the ads are for the Midwest and east coast, it's because that's where most of the manufacturing is located.

zack100

Active Expediter
Listen to Turtle, he's been in the game for awhile.

I'm sure your research will show a great deal of expediting companies are HQ'd in Michigan, Ohio - for good reason. The industry (from my little bit of knowledge) revolves around the auto industry and other manufacturing.

Also research the lifestyle, to do that one has to find where sprinter/van expediters tend to congregate. My little bit of experience takes me to the Flyin J, Pilot, TA and Petro. Meet them, ask questions, listen and talk with them, see how they live ....... it'll open your eyes to a unique lifestyle.

As far as straight trucks expediting out west ........ something else to research.

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
Hey Zack the members are looking for you in the First load ever thread you started... I think they have an "over under" on where your first load took you.

Monty

Expert Expediter
I only have two thoughts on possible carriers, Ryder and CEVA Logistics .... not much expediting happens out your way ...

Ever thought of moving to Tenneesee, where there are trees and stuff! :D

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I only have two thoughts on possible carriers, Ryder and CEVA Logistics .... not much expediting happens out your way ...

Ever thought of moving to Tenneesee, where there are trees and stuff! :D

Trees are nice, but Tn is full of hills, too - all things considered, I'd rather run the flatlands, myself. [Reminds me: ever see those front lawns in Pa that are nearly vertical? How the blue blazes do people cut the grass?!]
And where you live matters only when you want to go home.....

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Do you research here, drive for someone the first year or buy a nice used van to start off with, why spend 30 to 50 grand on something you may not like.

poondog

Active Expediter

That's surprising, I would have thought the west coast, particularly California, would have a lot of freight to move.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
That's surprising, I would have thought the west coast, particularly California, would have a lot of freight to move.

CA may have some LTL freight getting moved but not expedited freight. A straight truck could work well out there if you drove for yourself.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

poondog

Active Expediter
Anyone heard of Golden State Overnight? They are advertising for owner operators (cargo vans/PU with shell) in Reno.

Camper

Not a Member

There's a lot of activity in the LA Area and to a lesser extent, the San Diego and Phoenix areas. Within that triangle, you can actually carve out a nice niche for yourself.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Trees are nice, but Tn is full of hills, too - all things considered, I'd rather run the flatlands, myself. [Reminds me: ever see those front lawns in Pa that are nearly vertical? How the blue blazes do people cut the grass?!]
And where you live matters only when you want to go home.....

We tie a rope to the mower and stand on the flat area at the top of the hill, lowering the mower then pulling it up to do the next pass. Gotta watch your feets though! :eek: :D