Illinois 55 limit debate

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
I know OOIDA has covered it some but thought some might like o read what the local press is reporting and what people have to say

Peoria Journal Star article

I particularly like the one person who said "if a truck is driving at 55 in the right lane he's not going 10 miles an hour slower he's going 20"

Lawmakers renewing effort to raise speed limit for trucks
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FRED ZWICKY/JOURNAL STAR
Truck traffic streams across the Murray Baker Bridge as Illinois legislators work to raise the interstate speed limit for semi-trailer trucks up to 65 mph.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SPRINGFIELD — State lawmakers are renewing their longtime push to boost the speed limit to 65 mph for trucks traveling on Illinois’ rural interstates, an idea that former Gov. Rod Blagojevich vetoed three times.

With Blagojevich out of the picture, the proposal might stand a better chance of becoming law because he won’t be around “to strong-arm the bill,” preventing legislators from overriding his veto, said Rep. David Reis.

It’s not clear what new Gov. Pat Quinn would do with the bill if the General Assembly passes it. Quinn hasn’t taken a position on the issue, spokeswoman Libby White said Wednesday.

Reis, a Willow Hill Republican, is sponsoring a bill in the House of Representatives that would raise the maximum speed for semi-trailer trucks from 55 mph to 65 mph in non-urban areas. If signed into law, the bill wouldn’t apply to Cook County or the five surrounding “collar” counties, and it wouldn’t apply on interstates with lower speed restrictions, such as I-74 through Peoria.

Sen. John Sullivan, D-Rushville, has introduced a similar plan in the Illinois Senate. Both speed limit bills advanced in legislative committees this week. To become law, they would have to pass in the House and Senate and be signed by the governor.

The bills are House Bill 3956 and Senate Bill 1467.

Supporters of a higher speed limit for trucks say it would improve traffic safety on highways where the speed limit is 65 mph for autos but 55 mph for large trucks.

But opponents say if semis are allowed to go faster, then traffic accidents would be more frequent and more severe because semis are larger, heavier and cannot stop as quickly as smaller vehicles.

“Most drivers already go 65, and we give them a lot of leeway,” said Illinois State Police Sgt. Tony Halsey. “If you raise the speed limit to 65, they’ll go 75. That means it will take even longer for them to stop if they need to, which is already hard enough for an 80,000-pound truck to do.”

Central Illinois lawmakers who were contacted Wednesday mostly said they support proposals to raise the speed limit for trucks on certain roadways.

“It makes common sense,” said Rep. David Leitch, R-Peoria. “I find it ludicrous this hasn’t been enacted a long time ago.”

A uniform speed limit will result in fewer accidents because motorists won’t weave in and out of traffic as much, said Sen. Dale Risinger, a Peoria Republican and former district engineer for the Illinois Department of Transportation.

Traffic also is less likely to back up if autos and trucks are moving at the same speed, said Rep. Raymond Poe, R-Springfield.

Rep. Jil Tracy, R-Mount Sterling, said she frequently finds that traffic doesn’t flow smoothly on downstate roads because of the speed limit difference.

“In the evenings, if you’re driving these rural downstate four-lanes, there’s virtually no one on those roads except semis,” she said.

Besides improving traffic safety, a uniform speed limit for semis and autos would benefit the trucking industry, said Don Schaefer, executive vice president of the Mid-West Truckers Association.

With the 55 mph speed limit, truckers cannot legally complete a round trip between St. Louis and Chicago in a single workday, but they could do it with a 65 mph limit, Schaefer said.

Two Morton-based truck companies have contrasting views on the proposed legislation.

“I’m happy with where the speed limit is right now,” said George Svob, vice president of operations at Star Transport Inc. “I’m against raising it to 65 mostly because of fuel economy and safety concerns. If truckers need to stop suddenly, that’s a lot easier to do at 55.”

But Dennis Brasch, safety director at G&D Integrated, said the measure would “level the playing field.”

“If they made a law that said everybody has to drive 55, I would be an advocate for that,” he added. “But they won’t make cars go that slow, so this is how you get everyone to drive the same speed.”

Adriana Colindres can be reached at (217) 782-6292 or [email protected]. Erin Wood can be reached at (309) 686-3194 or [email protected].

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
The story I heard why the former Gov. Rod Blagojevich vetoed three times was that he had the law passed, his son was killed by a semi wreck. Is this true?

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
Contrary to what most of them (lawmakers) think, today's trucks are turned down to where they can't run over 70. Most of them do good to do 65. And that is due to companies getting a tax break to comply with that law. So it will be interesting to see the outcome.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Contrary to what most of them (lawmakers) think, today's trucks are turned down to where they can't run over 70. Most of them do good to do 65. And that is due to companies getting a tax break to comply with that law. So it will be interesting to see the outcome.

Oh..factory speed limiters? *LOL* Just pokin ya...

“Most drivers already go 65, and we give them a lot of leeway,” said Illinois State Police Sgt. Tony Halsey. “If you raise the speed limit to 65, they’ll go 75. That means it will take even longer for them to stop if they need to, which is already hard enough for an 80,000-pound truck to do.”

Just have fines excessively expensive and constant enforcement like Slohio...

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
Our truck is limited to 65, which is no problem for us. 60 to 62 is the most that we go. We get 9 mpg at 60 mph and it starts dropping drastically at higher speeds.

The thing that bothers me the most about the difference in truck and auto speeds in IL is that the auto's are constantly weaving in and out of the truck traffic which presents a much higher safety hazard than if trucks and auto's were traveling the same speed. There has been so many times that a 4 wheeler has passed me only to cut back over in front of me again within inches of my front end. I think a lot of those drivers either forget what their rear view mirror is for or they are incorrectly using their passenger side mirror and forgetting that "things in this mirror are CLOSER than they appear".

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hate to say it ..but there is quite a few TT jockeys that cut in front of us with feet to spare and the air shakes us up good...as well...its not a 4 wheel only issue....they don't make TT drivers like they used to....

mypie

Seasoned Expediter
Home for us is IL and I can tell you that the speed limit for trucks, campers, etc., has been around a long, long time. I must have been only 10 or so, when my mother was pulled over while towing our camper. IL collects an awful lot of revenue from speeding tickets because of this rediculous law.

m2106dunit

Seasoned Expediter
Well, so far no one has come up with a logical, reasonable explaination why the speed limit is 55 in Ohio and Illinois and right across the border in Kentucky and West Virginia it's 70 for trucks. To make it more puzzling, these high speed limit states have more mountains, curves and grades than the slow states. Ohio had to raise the truck speed limit on the turnpike to 55 because truckers were falling asleep due to the sheer boredom of driving across this state at 55. Does anyone have any good explainations (just make one up if you have to!)?:confused:

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
I read somewhere that the speed limit for trucks on the OH turnpike was raised in an effort to get the trucks off of the other highways and back onto the turnpike after the state had raised the tolls. When the toll price went up, trucks started avoiding the turnpike and residents of the cities and towns that the alternate routes went through were not very happy about the increased truck traffic.

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
Home for us is IL and I can tell you that the speed limit for trucks, campers, etc., has been around a long, long time. I must have been only 10 or so, when my mother was pulled over while towing our camper. IL collects an awful lot of revenue from speeding tickets because of this rediculous law.

Found this on the internet.

Illinois Vehicle Code - 625 ILCS 5, Section 11-601

1. 65 miles per hour upon any highway which has at least 4 lanes of traffic and of which the roadways for traffic moving in opposite directions are separated by a strip of ground which is not surfaced or suitable for vehicular traffic, except that the maximum speed limit for a bus on all highways, roads, or streets not under the jurisdiction of the Department or the Illinois State Toll Highway Authority is 55 miles per hour; and 2. 60 miles per hour on any other highway, except that the maximum speed limit for a bus on all highways, roads, or streets not under the jurisdiction of the Department or the Illinois State Toll Highway Authority is 55 miles per hour. (g) Unless some other speed restriction is established under this Chapter, the maximum speed limit outside an urban district for a house car, camper, private living coach, vehicles licensed as recreational vehicles, and any vehicle towing any other vehicle is 55 miles per hour or the posted speed limit, whichever is less.

Plus I thought this was interesting reading, just seeing how much speed laws have changed and why.

National Maximum Speed Law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well, so far no one has come up with a logical, reasonable explaination why the speed limit is 55 in Ohio and Illinois and right across the border in Kentucky and West Virginia it's 70 for trucks.

There is no logic in a state's right to do what they do. Look at Michigan, we had a 55 mph for trucks until a short time ago. The idiots in Lansing raised it up to 60 but then raised the minimal speed up from 45 to 55, thinking that it may be too dangerous to have slower traffic on the freeway with the high speed traffic.

AND to beat all, how many times have you seen a greyhound bus pulled over? I think all busses should be treated just like trucks, including ticketing them for speeding. My cargo on my truick isn't 40 people who depend on my safety. It is like that bus accident in Atlanta, if you ever driven down that way, there is no way you could make that mistake but a bus driving at high speed in the left lane is asking for trouble. When I started this work, I was leaving Michigan with a load in my van doing 75, I was passed by a greyhound who was on my a** for three miles trying to intimidate me out of his way. I lost him when my speedo hit 85 after I moved over.

mypie

Seasoned Expediter
That's what I said, it's all about collecting the almighty dollar from us. How difficult is it to drive 55 when the traffic is moving 65. In both OH and IL the cops line up in mass right at the borders and these states also have some of the most expensive and numerous toll roads in the country. All the more reason for a Federal Law on all interstate roadways. Only lowering speed limits where local traffic or road conditions would warrant it.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I heard from a reliable source that Greyhound has an arrangement with most, if not all states, to pay any speeding tickets without quibbling, long as the bus isn't stopped.
Inky: I was the one who described the Ohio speed limit on the turnpike, because I live there, and it was an ongoing story in the papers at the time.
Split speed limits are unsafe, but it IS all about the money, as usual.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
I'd like to see split speed limits go away, but what I would really like to see happen is the speed limits ENFORCED equally for all.

I hate driving in CA because the speed difference is so great that 4 wheelers are zipping around your truck like ants on pie.
55/70 mph is DANGEROUS!

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
Inky: I was the one who described the Ohio speed limit on the turnpike, because I live there, and it was an ongoing story in the papers at the time.
Split speed limits are unsafe, but it IS all about the money, as usual.

Thanks Cheri, I knew I remembered reading it somewhere. lol :D

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
originally to get the trucks back on the turnpike,prices were lessened,and the speed was moved to 65.this was suppose to be a trial bases on the speed.
now the toll prices are about tu change from weight to number of axles.The heavy haulers will see a break in cost ,but the tractor trailers hauling light loads will will see a big pay increase.You wont find me on the ohio pike much longer

flattop40

Expert Expediter
Nope, I don't recall ever having seen a commercial bus pulled over anywhere, and a lot of those drivers definitely need to slow down!

Back in '82 our senior class went to florida for our senior trip. We had 2 greyhounds. Our bus was pulled over a total of 3 times. twice on the way down and once on the way back. We were in the lead bus and this driver must have had a better driving record because I heard the drivers talking and our driver told the other driver just stay far enough back and they won't pull you over.