If you had a wish?

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
If you could be ANYONE in any time? Who would ya wana be or do?

What date in history would you want to relieve and be anyone you have ever dreamed of?

Being on the recieving end of a Joe Montana throw?

Discover the cure to Aids?

Be like the Donald?

Want to drive the ultimate Indy car, and beat Tony by a tire length?

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I would like to be myself as a 50 year old in the year 2050. I'd like to arrive with a suicide pill in the event I don't like it.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I would love to be on the B-24 Liberator that flew out of Italy and bombed German sites in WWII. I would love to be the side gunner or top gunner.

Preferably on George McGoverns B-24 since it did do 32 missions one of only a few that completed all the missions to be sent back home.

Serving in the Military, winning the last war we were in, and I love those planes. B-24 was considered the strongest defensive plane ever built, could be shot to pieces and still fly its mission.

The B-17s had twice as much offensive in firepower, but was bigger and much more fragile to enemey fire.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
If I had a wish,I'd like to go back in time to the 1880's,would have loved to drove a six up,you know a wagon or stage coach pulled with 6 horses,of course in 1966 I had my chance to be a stuntman in the movies,i was in Los Angeles and they were looking for guys that were horsemen and motor cycle riders,since i was both,I blew my chance.
At the time I was a horse trainer,taking care of my dads horse farm,and for fun was racing motor cycles,and drag racing cars

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
A Team your reply to BroomPilot was totally uncalled for. This was a lighthearted topic and you attacked the guy for expressing his views.
No need to do that ,if you didn't care for BP's wish,why not keep your thoughts to your self.

Jayman

Expert Expediter
Good point, Rich.

I dont think anybody here wants to kill anybody. But, when you are talking about a regime that killed, raped, and generally terrorized a helpless group of people...serious action MUST be taken. Plus, more than Jews were affected as many of you know. Not to detract from the suffering the Jews experienced. People who were Gypsies and Jehovas Witness also went to the camps. Hitler also experimented on the handicapped and mentally ill which normally resulted in their death. Or...they was just outright murdered in an effort to produce his pure and perfect race.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I served three years active duty in the U.S. Army and several years in the national guard. Active duty, I was a radio operator. In the guard, I went to the infantry school at Fort Benning, Georgia, earned a commission, the 11B MOS (Combat Infantryman) and served an infantry batallion in various capacities. I understand the need for a military force and have supported the same.

I do not understand a fantasy to kill other people, no matter how evil one's target of choice may be defined to be. While I was well-trained and got to play with many of the toys (machine guns, hand grenades, land mines, assult rifles, pistols, indirect fire, plastic explosives, armored vehicles, etc.), I was never sent to serve in actual combat. Of the many people I know who were, I do not know of a single one that found joy in killing other people.

Thinking about the original question in this thread, I do not have a fantasy about being someone else in another place or time or even having other powers in this place and time. It took five decades on this earth to figure out that being a team expediter with my wife is everything I need and want to be.

I do sometimes daydream about bringing people from the past into our time to see what they think. I would love to drive around the country for a week with a notable passenger like Benjamin Franklin, George Washington or Thomas Jefferson. It would be fascinating to hear what their expectations were for the country in their day and their reactions to what they see today. It would be equally fascinating to listen to their questions, and learn from those what their inner interests are, and then re-read their historic writings.

Jayman

Expert Expediter
"I would love to drive around the country for a week with a notable passenger like Benjamin Franklin, George Washington or Thomas Jefferson. It would be fascinating to hear what their expectations were for the country in their day and their reactions to what they see today."

They would probably be sick to hear people whine about this war and how bad they think they have it. (compared to how things were in their day)

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Who would I want to be or do? Hmmm...

I'm with Terry on this, but I would want to go a couple of hundred years ahead. As for the who I'd do part, I'll stay in the present day. The names that come to mind would probably be obvious to most.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Phil,

Fantasy ≠ Daydream

?

Indeed … Fantasy = Daydream

Don’t mean to take this off topic, I and many others who study the evil during the first half of the 20th century have one problem that has been slowly changing; we try to visualize events through grainy black and white films and photos. This gives us a two dimensional experience trying to gain knowledge. Until I saw someone's personal photos of the German leadership that he took in real sharp color, they were not real to me. Since then, I take a different and serious perspective on the things I read and heard about those people. The only exception to this for me is an unpublished photo I was given from the Bourke-White collection of Stalin, which even in black and white, it is a scary up close and personal photograph.

Many of us want to know what it was like to see things as an observer or even take part and experience things first hand. But with that said, sometimes people take pride being involved with something historic and for others who have missed out on things, many wish they could have been there, like Broom’s wish which is acceptable.

We are/were the victors against an evil régime at that time and many of us today only read about the history that others made, again as a two dimensional experience through photos and writing.

I would recommend reading McGovern’s book for a real look at what Broom is talking about. I also recommend another book, Enemy at the Gates (not the movie).

For what it’s worth, there are many major world events I would like to be a bystander at to remind me that I live in the best country that this world has ever seen, how d*mn lucky we all are to be here and what our great country has done to eliminate as much evil in the world as possible.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would like to be a weird guy that drives around the country in a van making money. The year would be 1997. Or else a professional hit man.

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
I've never considered that before because I tend to live in the moment I happen to be in... and savour every moment I have. I don't even fanticize about being someone else because I'm appreciative of what I am and have.

Right now I am thinking of how pleased I am that colour computer screens were invented and that I'm lucky enough to have several to use.

I am also thinking that I'm a very lucky guy to have a loving, affectionate, sexy and smart woman like Nicole to be my partner.

Darn, she didn't walk by and peer at the screen as I had hoped! :+

Life is good.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
>I would like to be a weird guy that drives around the
>country in a van making money. The year would be 1997. Or
>else a professional hit man.
I am with Moot unless I could hit the lottery and be like that guy from Happy Gilmore calling everyone a jackass..

Mike and Cyn

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Gunny Carlos Hathcock - Marine Corps sniper. A legend to all Marines, he took out an enemy sniper who was hunting him, by shooting through the sniper's scope. The NVA placed a bounty of $30,000-50,000 when most other snipers were $50-100. Hathcock took 3 days to crawl 100 meters to hunt an enemy general. Just an awesome character!

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!