If you could splurge on anything...

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
sure it is, anything that promotes better fuel economy, no matter how small has an ROI and to get back the cost of a set of rims for a small cube truck would be doable. cost couldn't be much over 600.00 bucks. plus there are other added benefits to the wheel end weight reduction. such as less wear and tear on breaks and bearings. if he drives it a year he will get his money back !!!!!

Last time I checked on sprinter rims, 16lb difference at the cost of a Sprinter buck ($1000.00). No way to get an ROI on that even at 500k miles. Maybe, break even at best.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using EO Forums mobile app

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I priced some once on eBay that were about 550.00 if memory serves me right they were rated at 2800 lbs each might have been 2300. I just really don't feel comfortable buying them there if they don't fit your stuck with return shipping cost.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Well Guido's truck cost about a forth of what our sprinters did. He might think we are the stupid ones. I think he has room for spending a little on rims.

It's not about affordability. It's about ROI. Are you gonna get your money back? Can you use that money some where else to improve your business or comfort.

Do you have enough put away for the slow period? Do you have enough to replace your vehicle now? Do you have enough in your retirement account. ETC..

Answer no to any of those questions, IMO, fancy wheels is not a good investment.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree to a point. We are all wired different and the unmesuarable return on investment is the mental part of expediting. For some its just a work truck for others investing in the apearence of their vehicle puts them in a better place mentally just like for some its taking that vacation a couple times a year. That part of expediting is hard to measure in roi terms but can go a long way towards some peoples success.

guido4475

Not a Member
Nope, never had a roller deck. $450, is that for good look rims or work truck payload rims?

Fridge is fine if gotta have for creature comfort.

I don't need one. I just eat out everywhere.

That is for Alcoa heavy duty rims.rated at 3,500# per wheel. Ziggy- try looking on or calling summit racing. That is a awful light payload for a van wheel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
That is for Alcoa heavy duty rims.rated at 3,500# per wheel. Ziggy- try looking on or calling summit racing. That is a awful light payload for a van wheel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

That's a pretty good price for Alcoa rims. Especially if they're new and 3500#. Hmmm, how much did you contribute to your 401k this year? Doesn't really need an answer.
Just pointing out differences of priorities for others that may read this.

IMO a truck is a disposable tool with a shelf life. When depreciation runs out and repairs start to increase keeping the owner off the road it's time to replace it. By not being frivolous with disposable income, you can have that new truck at the end of it's shelf life. Order the new one with shiney wheels if you gotta have them. But make sure you have the cash in hand to buy it. Now if you have the cash already, splurge away. You'll get a better tax advantage off of depreciation than you will shiney wheels.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
You do realize that you can just put the rims on your new vehicle? Right? The fuel and maintenance savings will continue beyond the life of the van you first put them on.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
You do realize that you can just put the rims on your new vehicle? Right? The fuel and maintenance savings will continue beyond the life of the van you first put them on.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Yep, good point as long as they match up. Let's say you have a Ford cargo van now and purchase a Ford Transit. Will they fit? At this point, don't know. Certainly won't go from a Sprinter to Chev, Dodge or Ford. Ford to Chev? Don't know. No telling what they will be changing in the next couple of years. Hopefully ya get lucky.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
why replace, why not just rebuild and reuse. the roi on rebuild and reuse is much quicker than replacement with a new vehicle.

guido4475

Not a Member
why replace, why not just rebuild and reuse. the roi on rebuild and reuse is much quicker than replacement with a new vehicle.

I enjoy the paid for vehicle way of life. I am very fortunate to have this. But, referring to what you said, I can replace the engine, transmission and rear end, installed, from Ford,for less than it cost to replace a Sprinter engine. Already priced it all. Will I go that far? Most likely not.It runs perfect the way it is and there is no reason for it, with 325,000 miles on it. If I get 500 k out of it I will be happy, and at that time decide whether or not I want to continue in this business. But I will continue to keep up on the body and paint as needed during this time. Just because it is old, doesn't mean it has to look old, imo.I already have another job lined up in another field if I ever want to give this up.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter

Well, I guess if that was true, Schneider and JB wouldn't be buying new trucks. They certainly have the resources to do rebuilds. Seems like something is missing from the equation. Perhaps overall rebuild costs exceed the cost of new somewhere in the chain. Perhaps with downtime, suspension, body, frame, air systems, metal fatigue, rubber parts and all the other parts that are going to wear.

I don't know. I suppose on a singular basis you could it. Don't know what the longevity would be. Then you might run into the the problem of some carriers not wanting that age of vehicle reguardless of condition.

I keep thinking of my 57 chevy I used to have and what it cost to rehab. While it was a head turner, it lacked fuel performance technology and compared to the newer vehicle chassis technology is was a beast to drive. It certainly lacked creature comforts and gadgets found in new vehicles.

Me personally, I go for new. The depreciation and warranty is worth it. Don't know if you can depreciate a rebuilt vehicle. Don't know the tax code on that. For me, the tax savings in depreciation puts me in a new one pretty close to the cost of rebuild. Donate the old vehicle after depreciation and get further tax benefits. In the end, I end up with new and warranty with very little out of pocket when it's all completed the cycle. So now ROI is greater than on a rebuild. Thank you mister tax man.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
And beside that. Who are you to ask who posts what?
This thread is about answering the question posed, for the purposes of obtaining some quotes suitable for inclusion in the Expedite NOW Magazine, not about confronting someone over how they choose to spend their money. The very context of the question posed is about splurging on something, and the actual definition of splurge is to indulge oneself in some luxury or pleasure, especially a costly one, so to try and discuss the ROI of a splurge is just stupid.

If I had the money to splurge, I'd splurge on chroming my entire truck, and wouldn't give a crap whether it ever paid for itself or not, or what anyone else thought.

No one needs to justify indulge oneself in splurging on some luxury or pleasure, especially a costly one, if they have the money to do so. And any further comments in this thread really, really need to be on topic.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
you are rite about justification when spending money. when it comes down to it we can all do as we see fit. as far as the rest of it, there is always going to be discussion on topics and posts, although this did go a little far. this was bound to go this route as not all read the very first post to see that this was meant for publication. so, the discussion on ROI was not STUPID as you stated and you simply just needed to inform everyone what the original post was for.

now that we know, if i could splurge i think i would do it on a 150" sleeper and just roam hauling enough freight for fuel and spending money.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
This thread is about answering the question posed, for the purposes of obtaining some quotes suitable for inclusion in the Expedite NOW Magazine, not about confronting someone over how they choose to spend their money. The very context of the question posed is about splurging on something, and the actual definition of splurge is to indulge oneself in some luxury or pleasure, especially a costly one, so to try and discuss the ROI of a splurge is just stupid.

If I had the money to splurge, I'd splurge on chroming my entire truck, and wouldn't give a crap whether it ever paid for itself or not, or what anyone else thought.

No one needs to justify indulge oneself in splurging on some luxury or pleasure, especially a costly one, if they have the money to do so. And any further comments in this thread really, really need to be on topic.

Off Topic and confrontational posts removed for content flow purposes......Ken aka OVM

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
now that we know, if i could splurge i think i would do it on a 150" sleeper and just roam hauling enough freight for fuel and spending money.

That would be epic! But I've never been in a ST or TT only cargo vans and compared to some of the "custom sleepers" ive seen that people driving around have my air mattress on the floor aint cutting it lol. So I'd splurge on a 170' Ext Sprinter with a factory sleeper with all the gadgets of my earlier post

guido4475

Not a Member
Guido wants a Sprinter!

As awesome as a vehicle as it is in the ways of space, ride, quietness, MPG,and HVAC, I would have to say no to a Sprinter..It's the cost of maintenance, ownership, and repairs that scare me.

Besides, This Ford van is paid for, ultra dependable, and super duper cheap to fix if needed. Parts available everywhere, and anyone can work on these things. I enjoy my low cost per mile...

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
As awesome as a vehicle as it is in the ways of space, ride, quietness, MPG,and HVAC, I would have to say no to a Sprinter..It's the cost of maintenance, ownership, and repairs that scare me.

Besides, This Ford van is paid for, ultra dependable, and super duper cheap to fix if needed. Parts available everywhere, and anyone can work on these things. I enjoy my low cost per mile...

As I consider the next one, I feel I'll probably end up with a Chevy 3500 chassis with one of those narrow boxes like yours. But I'd love to get about 12.5'-13' inside the box. I can get a FULL 12' in my van and would NOT step back into a shorter cargo area. It's just helped pay for this van many times over again. Many.
And I'm way partial to gas burners, Chevys, van chassis, etc.
Mainly, I'm sure, because I know nothing else.