ID on Equipment

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Years ago my husband used to put an ID on all his tools and equipment. He used his SS# (back when it was safe to do so - an old Navy habit) then he used his last name and phone number for a long time.

We realized we have no identifying marks on our truck tools and equipment now and it seems like a good idea to have it all identified in case it gets accidentally left somewhere or lost. We almost left our pallet jack at a delivery the other day and it was a reminder that no one would have identified it as ours.

Do you have your tools and equipment identified in any way? What are some ideas? I almost hate to put our name and address on them but I wondered about something like a luggage tag with a name and phone number. What do you think?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We put red duct tape on all of our large stuff, load bars etc. We starting this when a shipper accused us of stealing load bars off his dock. We pointed out to him that his bars were too big for our truck but he was still mad. Ever since we mark everything. As to the hand tools we have not marked them but I think it might just be a good idea to do so. Layoutshooter

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The problem with a tag or anything removable is that if you leave and return later someone can easily have removed the identification and claimed your property as their own. Some form of permanent marking is the only almost foolproof method. Given time they could even eliminate that probably but it would be a bigger challenge.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Good point Leo. I had not thought of that. I guess it is time to break down and by an ingraver to mark stuff. I think I would still use the duct tape on the big stuff in addition to ingraving, just to make it easy to spot. It might help me see it on the dock better. Layoutshooter

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think the duct tape is a good idea as it shows a pattern between what's in the box and what's in dispute on the dock and certainly makes finding your stuff easier. I just looked at a worst case scenario I guess and figured what if they really wanted to keep your stuff. The easier it is to mark it the easier it is to do away with the markings.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
India, you an my hubby are on the same wavelength it seems...we were talking about this just yesterday. He mentioned possibly putting the last 6 digits of the trucks VIN number and a phone number. I would think that etching in the information would be the most permanent way to mark it.
A paint pen would be another option, but as Leo said, it might be easy to remove.

We left a pallet jack on a dock...realized it 300+ miles down the road when hubby said "oh crap" as we were drifting off to sleep.

ihamner

Expert Expediter
I like the idea of the red duct tape to quickly identify our load bars and such. Great idea.

What do you think of etching our last name (Hamner) and our phone number? That doesn't seem like too much information and if the dock guy was honest he could call us and tell us we left something. What do you all think?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I like the last 6 of the VIN and a phone number since the VIN is pasted on the side of the truck anyway. Last name probably wouldn't hurt either but I guess I'm just leery of giving out any more info than mandatory.

Scott101

Seasoned Expediter
I think bright tape and engraving are both good ideas.

Might as well engrave your cell phone number if the engraving is in hope of getting the tool back. The phone number would double as proof of ownership too.

If I were going to engrave a number other then a phone number I think I would use my CDL number before using the VIN. Your VIN is likely to change more often then your CDL.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter

Something that could be bolted, screwed, or riveted. (my choice would be a blind rivet)

Go to the local pet store for dog Id's.

Put it someplace on your equipment that is not totally in plane site.

Along with the red duct tape.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We had an extra set of VIN numbers made for the truck and put them on our pallet jack. Good ideas on the load bars.

copdsux

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Local police tell everyone to engrave their driver's license # on everything: NCDL #0000000, for example.

Mike

Reactions: 1 person

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
As does nail polish, which is what I use on small items. I like the duct tape on load bars, thanks for posting it. :)

PalletJack

Expert Expediter
Put business cards everywhere they will fit. In battery cases of phones and other elec devices, tape or glue to underside of anything including palletjack. put them inside showerbbag, laptop bag, suitcases, etc. You might even tape them face down under the red duct tape.

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
cool idea ,now i'll be the odd one at walgreens

"yes i need a bottle of nail polish to match these two rolls of duct tape"

that will give them something to talk about on break