I sure hope I know what I'm doing....

Jumbuck

Seasoned Expediter
:eek:Ladies and Gentlemen. I am getting ready to either make a great deal of money or I am going to make the biggest mistake of my hard working life. Now I know that every expediter out there has the same goal I do, to make money, but I have read SO many posts and forums etc that I must admit, I am scared S@#Tless!
I know I'm no different (or better) than anyone else, but please, you experienced people....am I getting ready to mess up big time by entering the expediting business?
I read so much about how so many people are losing so much money because of the economy, or the cut-throat competition, and all the other negative aspects of expediting, I have have to admit, I am really, really scared.
I know all about the logistics of the business and all that, but please, should I do it?
I have almost bought a fairly new sprint van, and I am almost ready to jump in with both feet, but Ijust don't know if I should do it or not. Please anyone, sucessful or not, please tell me what you think. I sure would appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
:confused:

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
:eek:Ladies and Gentlemen. I am getting ready to either make a great deal of money or I am going to make the biggest mistake of my hard working life. Now I know that every expediter out there has the same goal I do, to make money, but I have read SO many posts and forums etc that I must admit, I am scared S@#Tless!
I know I'm no different (or better) than anyone else, but please, you experienced people....am I getting ready to mess up big time by entering the expediting business?
I read so much about how so many people are losing so much money because of the economy, or the cut-throat competition, and all the other negative aspects of expediting, I have have to admit, I am really, really scared.
I know all about the logistics of the business and all that, but please, should I do it?
I have almost bought a fairly new sprint van, and I am almost ready to jump in with both feet, but Ijust don't know if I should do it or not. Please anyone, sucessful or not, please tell me what you think. I sure would appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

If I were u, I have 6 months of current expenses saved up just incase, and a sprinter can be costly at times and there are plenty of threads on Sprinters to make decisions over. Im n a cargo van they are cheap to run compared to a Sprinter. Some folks advise to start with a cargo van to get ur feet wet, but to each his own. I would find as many Sprinter drivers and PM them on operations and cost.IMHO

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My advise to you would be to drive for an owner before making an investment in a van, sprinter, or whatever you plan to drive.

This way you can get your feet wet, learn as much of the business as you can, and make an informed decision weither or not this is the career for you.

And of course, everything Sky said. ;)

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Are you making a mistake? Should you or shouldn't you do this? I don't know ...When i got into this business almost 4 yrs ago, I was told that I would go broke, the business is slow. There are too many caro vans..etc etc...Today I have 2 units doing this...

I am like you, no better then anyone else here...looking for the same thing eveyone else is looking for. But I am willing to do what it takes to be successful and work at it and I also set myself up before I took my 1st load to be ok financially until I had a positive cash flow strictly from this business and not having to use money from my pocket.

Other then making money, what are your expectations? Which carrier is gioing to be the best match for you to allow you to meet those expectations?

What are your plans to set your truck up so that you can be comfotable out here on the toad for weeks, even months at a time....its important that you are comfortable not only physically, but also mentally...this is a lifestyle change for most people....

Do you have the support of the people in your life? Iss your wife/girlfriend, kids ok with this?

Look, this is not something that most anyone can't do and be successful at...so chances are better then not that you will be ok....but maybe look at it for the point of, "what is the worse that can happen?? Then decide if the risk is worth it...It was for me....

Oh and being scared is pretty normal when you move into the unknown...while this is all new to you and there is risk, you have researched this, asked questions. made moves to start and backed away to make sure..Is it really that much of a total unkknown?....

Go for it, you will be ok...

Oh and as to driving for someone rather then buying a unit, can you make ends meet by "slitting' the income from van/sprinter with an owner??? If you are paying more bills then just what the unit has, I'd bet not.....tarting out in a sprinter will be more expensive then starting in a van, but if you can't afford to make the payments that the business will incur....then by all means, do NOT do it....

Last edited:

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
You are likely to get out of "it" what you put in to "it". If you are struggling going in, then you most likely will continue to struggle. You will reap what ye sew! Stay positive!

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
:eek:..... I am getting ready to either make a great deal of money or I am going to make the biggest mistake of my hard working life. ....... I must admit, I am scared S@#Tless!
....am I getting ready to mess up big time by entering the expediting business?
...... I have have to admit, I am really, really scared.
.......should I do it?
I have almost bought ..... and I am almost ready ..... but Ijust don't know if I should do it or not.......

You are obviously having cold feet.... so why don't you slow it down a notch, do some more research, do some more number crunching, do some more talking to drivers of the company you're signing on with... until your feet aren't cold any more?

What is the rush? There is so much to know in advance that could benefit you... more research might lead you to take care of some things beforehand, and make you feel confident in your decisions. Learn from others' mistakes. Get rid of as many outside commitments/debts as you can. Don't just number-crunch for the business itself, but figure out how your business numbers will work with your outside-commitment-numbers (other debts, household, living, family expenses).

It gives me an uncomfortable feeling for newbies when they seem to be in a hurry to jump in before they seem to be ready.

Last edited:

Jumbuck

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks everyone for your much welcomed advice. I very much feel a little better, and I do need to do more research. I know no one has a crystal ball and I know there are NO guarantees, but getting advice and input from someone already in the business can sure make it easier to make a decision.
Some will say, "Go ahead!" "it's only money!" and I think "Okay! I guess they are right when they say the journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step, so, I figure I'll do it!"
It is SO nice to hear intelligent advice from you guys instead of nasty, know-it-all criticism. I think I am going to like it here!
Thanks again, I will watch this forum like a hawk now.
Sure do 'preciate it!
Jumbuck...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If you want to get into this to make money, you should be aware that the success rate is well under fifty percent. Especially those who go out and buy a new vehicle and jump into already behind the eight ball with a significant van payment. Many will tell you to drive for an owner first, to see if you even like the lifestyle and how it all works. That's very good advice, but I'm not so sure I'd give it to someone who wants to get into this in a van. Driving a van for an owner is a proposition where you will make little or no money and it becomes a de facto internship.

In my opinion, you're much better off buying a cheap used van, like an E-350 for about $5000 or so, cash, and then putting another two or three thousand cash into it to make absolutely sure it is road ready. Keeping three to six months of expenses in reserve if possible, but at a minimum having $5000 in the bank before you take your first load. Then drive your own paid-for van for a year or more, saving money all the way, and learning whether or not you like expediting, and learning along the way what you want and don't want to do as far as outfitting your next van.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I am getting ready to either make a great deal of money or I am going to make the biggest mistake of my hard working life.

Well what's a "great deal of money" to you?

Now I know that every expediter out there has the same goal I do, to make money, but I have read SO many posts and forums etc that I must admit,...

Not all of us have that goal, some have paying off the truck while others have running around in perpetual vacation mode.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Now I know that every expediter out there has the same goal I do, to make money,....

It is not true that every expediter is out there to make money. It may be true that many expediters will say they are out there to make money but if they were serious, they would not be doing over and over again the things that do not make money. They would change their behavior to do the things that do make money.

When you say you have a goal to make money is that just something you are saying, or are you backing up the desire with committed action? When you say you want to make money, do you know how much exactly? Do you know what you need to do and will do to make it?

If not, do not enter the business until you figure the money part out.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
My boyfriend makes a decent living with expediting. The pay isn't union scale labor, but he does well. He knows he cannot have a scheduled life in this line of work, he has to sacrifice birthdays, holidays, family functions at times.

Why do it? It satisfies his wanderlust while allowing him to pay his bills. Being O/O affords him freedom, but it should be noted when he started in expedite 7 years ago, he did not go out of the gate as O/O, he learned the business first.

He also has a second business which brings income to him also, all of his eggs are not in the expediting basket. Once again being O/O allows him to do this as well.

You need guts, patience, stamina, lots of coffee and night vision.

And a "Plan B"

Good luck.

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If you are asking the question, then you probably aren't quite ready. Take your time and really read and follow some of the advice presented. The biggest downfall of new folks is undercapitalization and lack of commitment.
Really pay attention to finances and remember "cash is king".
Payments on a van isn't a good idea unless you know what you are doing or have a secondary source of income which was mentioned.
Take your time and good luck in whatever decision you go with.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
If your going to go straight into owning a van, I would suggest something you can pay cash for, as others have. You need to be stable financially to be able to get through the slow times, the mistakes that your sure to make and cover any major repair bills that you might see. Don't think buying new will be the answer to no repair bills. That payment will be most likely be more than the repairs on an older van and they will be due each and every month.

Alot of people are telling you not to get in a rush and their right. Whatever deal your looking at on a new van, it will be there later. Once you've pulled the trigger, you've got a payment to make...whether your successful or not.

As far as timing goes. Historicly, this isn't the busiest time of year either. It's not like your going to miss out on the "busy season" by not jumping in right now. The second half of the year is usually busier than the first.

If your financially stable and can afford to jump in, go for it. If your not, spend some time making sure you have your ducks in a row....or better yet, spend some time getting youself financially stable before you jump.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
:eek:Ladies and Gentlemen. I am getting ready to either make a great deal of money or

I can almost guarantee you that this statement won't come true. It would depend on what you call a great deal of money I guess and what kind of gig you have lined up.

flattop40

Expert Expediter
My advice is this. You are NOT going to make a GREAT DEAL of money any time in the near future. It takes time "learning the ropes". As others have said, try not having a van payment when you jump in. I bought an 07 e-350 when I came in. I still have payments to make and it has over 400k miles on it. Also, when I am asked about expediting the first question I ask them is "Do you have children at home?" If so I say its not for you. You will be away from home too much and your children need their father even if it means flipping burgers. The advice of driving for someone first is very sound. You won't have any initial expenses other than your bank roll to cover your expenses of a bare minimum of 3 months which is a must. You also have to be able to budget your money. One week you may have a really good week. Don't go out and buy a 50" tv with it as you will need it for next week which could be just the opposite. Then ofcourse are the unexpected breakdowns, which inevitably will happen. All of these things have to be considered. Can you make it in this industry? Sure, but you have to be finanacially wise about it. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Also, when I am asked about expediting the first question I ask them is "Do you have children at home?" If so I say its not for you. You will be away from home too much and your children need their father even if it means flipping burgers.

Good point. Jeffman and I have had this discussion, there is no way we would be doing this if either one of us had children.

Another note on the money, if you own your own van: 33% of your gross take for you, 33% put up for Uncle Sam, 34% for the van. Don't forget, fuel and repairs are not the only expenditures; given the miles you can log, oil changes, tire replacement, windshield wiper blades, brakes, serpentine belt,transmission flushing, coolant flushing, etc. will all be required more frequently than a standard daily use personal vehicle.

So if you're running a load at 109cpm, YOUR personal take at best (given the recent spike in gas prices) would be roughly 35 cpm; so a 600 mile run would net $210 into your pocket. Can you make it on that? Note that this business is ALL based on the availability of emergency freight. If the cargo isn't available, then the loads can't happen.

You will see posts of people running 3,000 miles per week. It can and does happen in a cargo van. However, one 3,000 mile week can and often will be followed by a 0-500 mile week.

Another thought to mull over: Dry vans and Straight trucks and supposedly Sprinters have more loads available to them, given their ability to haul more freight. The van my boyfriend owns is extended wheel base with a raised roof, so he can carry Sprinter-type loads and get paid Sprinter rates.

Remember: on the road, your van is your home. Maybe for 6 weeks at a stretch. You will sleep in truckstops and WalMart parking lots. You need food, clothing, bedding, auxiliary heat and cooling, but still have to travel lightly because you need room for freight. It is advised to have auxiliary batteries and an inverter installed so you can run small appliances and not idle your vehicle so as to save wear and tear and the main battery.

Not trying to talk anyone out of this line of work if they have their heart set on it...but are you REALLY ready?

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

Jumbuck

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks again for your input. I guess what I mean when I say "a great deal of money" is more than the measley $820.00 per month pension I'm on. I have given the advice you guys (and Ladies) have given me a LOT, LOT of thought. I'm not TOO worried about having what it takes to actually "DO" the job becasue I have a background of 30 years experince both driving and delivering, but NOT in expediting and NOT on my own. Any time I had a breakdown or flat tire, I simply called the company and they came out to fix it. I, myself never had to worry about ME being the one who had to make sure I had another load. In fact, it was mostly just the opposite. Sometimes, I literally had to run to my car at the end of my tour of duty becasue the dispatcher would try to chase me down with a bill in his hand with another load that "was hotter than the hinges of Hell!"
I suppose what really worries me and this is the part I actually worry about the most, is not wheather I can life the life of an expediter, but wheather or not there exist enough "expeditable" freight around to make a living at this. That is what is driving me bonkers. I just have never had to be my own load finder.
Well, I'll get off here and let someone else talk, so again, thanks so much for your help, and I certainly do have more research to do. I don't mean to whine or cry at you guys, because I am not the only one who has been through this, I know there are probably a lot of expediters who have been or are going through this same problem. I think I'm going to quit agonizing over this and just "Do IT!"
Thanks...
Jumbuck.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Sign on with a carrier that will locate your loads. You will learn the business and make mistakes that while my cost you a few bucks now and then, but not as bad as they would if you are on your own....once you are comfortable with how things work, then research running independent for more then one carrier and then possibly getting your own authroity....

No way, i'd run out and buy an new truck that has payments and try to run under my own authroity until i had a decent handle on the business...

jpcourtney

Seasoned Expediter
Well, I can tell you a few things you need. First off, you need a business head on your shoulders. You need some capital in the bank to start. You need to know how to deal with people in a business sense. You have to be able to weather the ups and downs as they come your way. You need a lot of luck also. One bad accident can put you out of business. One major mechanical can drain your reserves. One slow pay/no pay customer can hurt. One lavish owner (you) can bankrupt the company. Now, are you still interested?