I may get hate for questions/comment but wtf

Hustelandflow

New Recruit
Driver
Ok so I won’t mention the company name because the advertise on here. But I just got off the phone with they recruiter and it for a fedex straight truck. Ok so they said they pay 40% witch is not the problem. They said my wife and I will avg. 850-1150 per week each. so that 1600-2300 together as a contractor. Ok so now where I see the problem as company driver team my wife and I make 900-1100 each a week that 1800-2200 take after taxes. They are offering what we make after we pay taxes heath insurance and Aflac and we go home every weekend what is not a necessity but it a perk. I’m starting to think that this who thing is not worth working for someone. Might as well just saving to buy are own truck. (Side note my wife and I have 15 otr between us) idk am I wrong for thinking that it’s a bad deal and poor financial decision to even entertain there offer?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I second going to the Expo. Timing is right, and you'll be right there with more than enough drivers to get real ansswers to your questions.

Hustelandflow

New Recruit
Driver
I second going to the Expo. Timing is right, and you'll be right there with more than enough drivers to get real ansswers to your questions.
To be honest I don’t see a reason to go to the expo because if the numbers are not right when I talk to some of these companys these the driver work for The number will not change just because you talk to a expo. Y’all act like the expo is some magic dragon that going solve everyone problem.

Hustelandflow

New Recruit
Driver
Before giving up your position as a company driver, my i suggest you go to the Expedite Expo.

There you will meet representatives from the carriers, as well as many fleet owners. Ask questions to your hearts content.
To be honest I don’t see a reason to go to the expo because if the numbers are not right when I talk to some of these companys these the driver work for The number will not change just because you talk to a expo. Y’all act like the expo is some magic dragon that going solve everyone problem.

Reactions: Fisherman

sanbomi1

Expert Expediter
Researching
US Army
Hustelandflow,

Although not expediters yet, my wife and I have been preparing with a goal of getting started in August. We can't speak from expedited experiences yet as we have none. I have had two brief stints at OTR tractor trailer (many years ago), owned my own straight truck delivering furniture in Michigan and northern Indiana and was a company chauffeur for approximately 4 years (half ton passenger vans).

In researching this industry for over 12 years, it wasn't until now that the time was right for us to pursue this new and exciting career. People have all sorts of reasons for wanting to get into this industry. For us it is the love of travel, the call of the road, working together, an opportunity to make good money and continue to save for retirement along with so much more. Some decide to get into this industry to make as much or more money while working (driving) less. Some do it as the type of vehicles (straight trucks and vans) afford the opportunity to get in and out of places that a tractor trailer combo do not allow (sightseeing, resturaunts, camp grounds and more). The comfort of the larger sleepers allows for a more enjoyable experience while staying out for extended periods of time. Whether an owner/operator or driving for a fleet owner, you are essentially your own boss, you are the one making the decisions on what loads you accept, you are the one who decides where to position yourself to better increase your opportunity for success.

We will be attending the Expo this year, my third, Carrie's second. It is a great opportunity to network, talk to those in the industry to get their perspective on so many different issues. There are also some great You Tube channels out there that provide a tremendous amount of information such as The Trucking Couple, The Crafty Trucker and The Expediter Boogie. All of these industry experts will be at the Expo and are all doing a Q&A session on Friday morning, a great opportunity to learn from these teams.

Hey, we even have a You Tube channel in it's infancy

Carrie and I wish you well in your research into this industry.

Best regards,

Mike

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok , first off I as an Owner/Operator drive a Sprinter type Van. I have been in Expediting since 2003 . First 6 years Driving a Straight truck as O/Op .
That said " The Expo " is Not That Great . The Experts standing up on the Stage will tell you how to do this and that . How they succeeded and made money.
In the last Year Expediting has changed alot . Over Population of Van's and Straight trucks along with Bad Brokers has driven Rates Per Mile down drastically. There is people leaving this Business and Forced to file Bankruptcy.
If you have done your homework and say the Money is not enough Then Don't Do It .
Call all the Advertising Companies that are going to be at the Expo and ask "Are You Putting On Trucks " at this time . A high percentage are Not . As you stated above the Money is not enough , then do your Wife and You a Financial Favor .
Stay Out Of Expediting .... .
That said is based on My Opinion and Others who are too Scared to tell the truth on this forum.

" LOAD 1 "

Hustelandflow

New Recruit
Driver
Ok , first off I as an Owner/Operator drive a Sprinter type Van. I have been in Expediting since 2003 . First 6 years Driving a Straight truck as O/Op .
That said " The Expo " is Not That Great . The Experts standing up on the Stage will tell you how to do this and that . How they succeeded and made money.
In the last Year Expediting has changed alot . Over Population of Van's and Straight trucks along with Bad Brokers has driven Rates Per Mile down drastically. There is people leaving this Business and Forced to file Bankruptcy.
If you have done your homework and say the Money is not enough Then Don't Do It .
Call all the Advertising Companies that are going to be at the Expo and ask "Are You Putting On Trucks " at this time . A high percentage are Not . As you stated above the Money is not enough , then do your Wife and You a Financial Favor .
Stay Out Of Expediting .... .
That said is based on My Opinion and Others who are too Scared to tell the truth on this forum.

" LOAD 1 "
I appreciate you honestly and this is the type of reply I was hopping to get someone who not trying to blow smoke but will give the hard truth and real answers. Thank you.

Hustelandflow

New Recruit
Driver
Hustelandflow,

Although not expediters yet, my wife and I have been preparing with a goal of getting started in August. We can't speak from expedited experiences yet as we have none. I have had two brief stints at OTR tractor trailer (many years ago), owned my own straight truck delivering furniture in Michigan and northern Indiana and was a company chauffeur for approximately 4 years (half ton passenger vans).

In researching this industry for over 12 years, it wasn't until now that the time was right for us to pursue this new and exciting career. People have all sorts of reasons for wanting to get into this industry. For us it is the love of travel, the call of the road, working together, an opportunity to make good money and continue to save for retirement along with so much more. Some decide to get into this industry to make as much or more money while working (driving) less. Some do it as the type of vehicles (straight trucks and vans) afford the opportunity to get in and out of places that a tractor trailer combo do not allow (sightseeing, resturaunts, camp grounds and more). The comfort of the larger sleepers allows for a more enjoyable experience while staying out for extended periods of time. Whether an owner/operator or driving for a fleet owner, you are essentially your own boss, you are the one making the decisions on what loads you accept, you are the one who decides where to position yourself to better increase your opportunity for success.

We will be attending the Expo this year, my third, Carrie's second. It is a great opportunity to network, talk to those in the industry to get their perspective on so many different issues. There are also some great You Tube channels out there that provide a tremendous amount of information such as The Trucking Couple, The Crafty Trucker and The Expediter Boogie. All of these industry experts will be at the Expo and are all doing a Q&A session on Friday morning, a great opportunity to learn from these teams.

Hey, we even have a You Tube channel in it's infancy

Carrie and I wish you well in your research into this industry.

Best regards,

Mike
I get the is money in it. But if I am making more then what these companies are quoting me as a company driver then what’s the point in. Loosing money. If I am gonna change jobs or companys I should be making the same or more the I am now. And that is not the case who the people I have talk to. My wife and I are trying to better are Financial situation and also better are life and making less not gonna do that.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Nobody is blowing smoke..... i gave what i thought was the best answer i could give.

What is a good deal for you, and what is a good deal for me are two totally diffrent things. That is why i said dont give up your company job just yet.

I still feel that someone in your positon, not knowing much about the Expediting segment of trucking, would benefit going to the expo and talking to the carriers and owners in person for answers to their specific circumstances, instead of waiting for some random person on an internet forum to tell them what to do.

Hustelandflow

New Recruit
Driver
Nobody is blowing smoke..... i gave what i thought was the best answer i could give.

What is a good deal for you, and what is a good deal for me are two totally diffrent things. That is why i said dont give up your company job just yet.

I still feel that someone in your positon, not knowing much about the Expediting segment of trucking, would benefit going to the expo and talking to the carriers and owners in person for answers to their specific circumstances, instead of waiting for some random person on an internet forum to tell them what to do.
I understand what your saying but I have talked to 4 company and 2 owner for straight truck positions my wife and I do not wanna drive a sprint van. And just like going to work for them would be a bad business and financially for my wife and I. we also feel like taking time away for the job we have right now to go to an expo where recurring is going to try to blow smoke at you. is not worth the time or money that have to be put out to attend an event like this. Look I don’t fought that there is people that think 850-1150 as a 1099 is good money. But for my wife and I it is not we make more where we are and we get the perk of going home most weekends witch is not a must but is nice. So after everything is said and dune after taxes heath dental exc. is taking out we clear 130k a year as company driver. If we are not making that after all expenses as 1099 it’s just not worth are time. It be a bad business move. As 1099 if we don’t clear 150-160 a year after expenses it not worth are time. We don’t work for penny’s here.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I understand what your saying but I have talked to 4 company and 2 owner for straight truck positions my wife and I do not wanna drive a sprint van. And just like going to work for them would be a bad business and financially for my wife and I. we also feel like taking time away for the job we have right now to go to an expo where recurring is going to try to blow smoke at you. is not worth the time or money that have to be put out to attend an event like this. Look I don’t fought that there is people that think 850-1150 as a 1099 is good money. But for my wife and I it is not we make more where we are and we get the perk of going home most weekends witch is not a must but is nice. So after everything is said and dune after taxes heath dental exc. is taking out we clear 130k a year as company driver. If we are not making that after all expenses as 1099 it’s just not worth are time. It be a bad business move. As 1099 if we don’t clear 150-160 a year after expenses it not worth are time. We don’t work for penny’s here.
Then i guess you answered your own question.

Just out of curiosity........ if you are happy with the money and bennies as a company driver, why are you looking to change?

Reactions: Moot

Hustelandflow

New Recruit
Driver
Then i guess you answered your own question.

Just out of curiosity........ if you are happy with the money and bennies as a company driver, why are you looking to change?
We love to try new thing and lean new parts of the business that my wife and I are in. And we don’t believe in settling. We believe that you can always take that next step to better yourself. We believe that with god all thing are possible and that he doesn’t want you to settle he want everyone to push to be the best and get to the top. My wife and I believe if you settle you have given up on your greatness and your full Potential.

Reactions: ntimevan and Ragman

sanbomi1

Expert Expediter
Researching
US Army
I get the is money in it. But if I am making more then what these companies are quoting me as a company driver then what’s the point in. Loosing money. If I am gonna change jobs or companys I should be making the same or more the I am now. And that is not the case who the people I have talk to. My wife and I are trying to better are Financial situation and also better are life and making less not gonna do that.
Hustelandflow,

I certainly understand. There are probably as many reasons for people getting into, getting out of and doing research on the expediting industry as there are members of this forum. Each person/team has their own wants, desires and reasons for doing so. Whether it be financial, an opportunity to travel, an opportunity to work with your significant other, ready for a change in careers, whatever the reason is, it's good to do as much research about the industry as possible. Seems like your research is pointing to this may not be the right move for you. I think it is fantastic that you are doing your research, you certainly don't want to make a move that isn't right for you. That's part of what the forum is here for, that's part of what the Expo is for, to help people make an informed decision on such a major issue. Wishing you and your family the best.

Regards,

Mike

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Were you thinking about settling in driving someone else's straight truck for the rest of your life? Or just a stepping stone to see if you like the expediting side of trucking? It might be required to take a pay cut for a few months and then if you like it, buy your own truck and make the big bucks.

But I agree, if your heart is not in it, don't do it.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Moot

Hustelandflow

New Recruit
Driver
Were you thinking about settling in driving someone else's straight truck for the rest of your life? Or just a stepping stone to see if you like the expediting side of trucking? It might be required to take a pay cut for a few months and then if you like it, buy your own truck and make the big bucks.

But I agree, if your heart is not in it, don't do it.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
No disrespect but that is the most asinine thing I’ve ever heard. I’m sorry but that sounds like the worst person suffice I’ve ever heard. You expect someone that is trying to better themselves or get a better financial Position in their life. To go backwards and make less than what they’re making at the position they’re at now. I’m sorry but that is not how progressing forward works and I am not going to lose my home or other investments that I have I making less money to move forward. Any smart business person knows progressing forward in your career don’t go backwards if I want to lose money and make less money then I’ll just go buy my own truck and lose money in the beginning to make money on the end I’m not gonna make somebody else more money while I’m making less. I know are worth as drivers. And why would I take a worse position financially wise and company wise to go 1099 and make less money that I’m making now as a company driver after taxes health insurance etc. May have worked for you because you had nothing to lose but I have built a pretty good empire for myself and my wife and to go backwards would cause us to lose what we have and possibly my marriage and I will not do that for anybody or any company so unless we are achieving more in our path we will not do it my family is more important. And also the goals we have set for ourselves are more important than taking two steps backwards to take one step forward. I could take what I’m losing out of my wife and eyes paycheck each week and save it for a year and would have enough money to put a down payment on a truck. That is a better financial decision and business decision and what you’re proposing thank you for your time but I could not take your advice.

Reactions: ntimevan

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Bottom line, this is almost assuredly not for you. Stay where you are with known results. The only certainty in expediting is that nothing is certain. One week is fantastic and the next week couldn't stink any worse. And you've gotten some pretty good and sincere responses here that you've turned around and been very rude and condescending about. Maybe not your intent but that's how it comes across. Not a good way to start out anywhere, including with a new carrier and fleet owner.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
As long as the brain remains in Employee Mode, Independent Contractor / Small Business Owner is not for you. Moving from general rucking into expediting is enough of a shock as it is, without dragging employee mentalities along with it.

Hustelandflow

New Recruit
Driver
As long as the brain remains in Employee Mode, Independent Contractor / Small Business Owner is not for you. Moving from general rucking into expediting is enough of a shock as it is, without dragging employee mentalities along with it.
This is not my first time running a business I sold my last one. It has nothing to do with employee most or business owner has nothing to do with it. And if that what you got form what I posted you may wanna thing again. What I am saying is if I can mke more at the end of a day as a company driver then there is no point in me going to work for someone as an independent contractor. That would be a bad business move. And if you think a loss of 1200 dollars in revenue each mouth is smart then you may wanna Reevaluate your idea of o a “business owner”