i have question .should i stay or should i go

alfosk

Expert Expediter
hi,i have been watching this forum for sometime now, and i previously drove for 3 years about 10 years ago,i was a company driver in a tractor trailer.i have been working in tucson az as a shipping receiving clerk at an automotive parts distributor for 7 years,i have a wife and 4 kids and we have been discussing me trying expediting.it seems like a great group of people i could see myself with, i made 31000 gross last year and worked very hard to achieve that ,and theres not much left over for the good things in life if you know what i mean when bills are paid so how much can you make realisticly in exp.i know there is no set figure here but a good ballpark figure would be nice,and should i risk it and just go for it .any help would be greatly appreciated .thanks.... Allen

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The question is too vague to answer - what size unit [cargo van, C or D truck, t/t?] and would you be the owner/op, or drive for an owner? A bit [ok, I'm downplaying that] of research would show many discussions of the same topic, you just have to look.
But - with 4 kids at home, do you really want to consider being away for weeks at a time?!:confused:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You don't say what age your 4 kids are but most likely your wife and kids need you home being husband and father more than you being out on the road most of the time for maybe a little more money. As to money, the most common arrangement is a 60/40 split. The simplest arithmetic is the 40% side with no operating expenses out of that. At $1.20 per loaded mile for a straight truck, a fairly common rate in the industry, that's 48 cpm (cents per mile) to the driver. That would be 65,000 loaded miles. If running team that means splitting with the codriver and needing 130k loaded miles to make $31k. More than that is certainly possible and should be expected however at how much expense to your family. Good luck with your decision.

I should add that I don't see $31k as a van driver at 40% and most companies require recent experience for tractor operators.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You don't say what age your 4 kids are but most likely your wife and kids need you home being husband and father more than you being out on the road most of the time for maybe a little more money. As to money, the most common arrangement is a 60/40 split. The simplest arithmetic is the 40% side with no operating expenses out of that. At $1.20 per loaded mile for a straight truck, a fairly common rate in the industry, that's 48 cpm (cents per mile) to the driver. That would be 65,000 loaded miles. If running team that means splitting with the codriver and needing 130k loaded miles to make $31k. More than that is certainly possible and should be expected however at how much expense to your family. Good luck with your decision.

I should add that I don't see $31k as a van driver at 40% and most companies require recent experience for tractor operators.

Not highly likely...that would translate into about $80k gross...
Most van drivers can eeck out between 50-70k gross a year. At 40% would be about 20-28K.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That's why kids need 2 parents: one to talk the other out of choking the little darlings, esp when they're toddlers, & again when they're teens, doncha know.;)
Just kidding. Mostly.

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
If I Were You, I would stay Right where you are for Right Now! I Don't Know if you have benefits or not, But there sure aren't any Out Here Unless You Pay for Them Yourself. Then you have to consider Living on the Road Expenses Which Include Food/with or without a Refrigerator! If You Have a Refrigertor It Still Costs Money to keep it Stocked Up With Limited Space. Truck Stops are Not Cheap for anyone Especially Truckers, Seems that you Pay almost double for the Same thing at Walmart! They do have the Fueler Cards That Give you a Free Shower after buying Fuel,But if you need/want a Shower and haven't bought fuel then expect to Pay around $10.00 for One.
If you are running a Team and Your Company can Keep you Moving,then you can make some decent Money,If Not???? No matter how you cut it,You still have the Road Expenses and will probably be Much Better off Staying Home with your Job, wife and Kids! I Can do this Ok Cuz I am a Widower and Have No-One at Home and Have a Pension check that Pays my Bills at Home with some left Over, But I Feel sorry for the One's who Have to Depend on Expediting for a Living Right Now as the Economy is Still in the Toilet! Don't Take this wrong, I am NOT In Anyway Slamming Expedite Companies, Owners, or the Drivers, I am Just Pointing out Some things that you should give a Lot of Thought To! Good Luck with whatever You Decide. :D

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's why kids need 2 parents: one to talk the other out of choking the little darlings, esp when they're toddlers, & again when they're teens, doncha know.;)
Just kidding. Mostly.

Mark Twain had it right. He said that all children should be put into a barrel at age 12, the bung hole closed and not allowed out again until they were 25!!!

alfosk

Expert Expediter
thanks for responses to my question.i know i probably should just stay put for now.my benefits are basically 3 weeks off a year and the insurance is so expensive i cant afford it .i was just looking at options available in case something happens,my company took away all overtime and just laid off 3 people out of a crew of about 20,so with no overtime i may not even make what i made last year,the economy is affecting everyone and i just want to have options available.i was thinking on going to louisville in march to talk to people,do you think this is worth the money and effort,and would pan out for leads ..thanks again Allen

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The leads wouldn't matter if they are good or bad. With four kids and a wife, my opinion would be to stay put as others have suggested. I think you and your family would be better served by you finding something part-time locally than doing anything over the road.

lugnut1

Seasoned Expediter
OMG – Keep your job. Anyone with kids at home and has a paying job should stay away from trucking period. Not only should you stay away from trucking, I would stay even further away from expedite trucking. It’s shrinking and shrinking and shrinking and sinking and sinking and gone.

Darmstadter

Veteran Expediter
Have you looked at trucking outside of expedite? There are other sectors of the industry that would not keep you close to home.
I would imagine that somebody out there (airlines, freight forwarders, regional carriers, etc.) has runs between Phoenix and Tuscon. My point is just to not cut your options short.

Good luck to ya.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I have 4 grandsons, and tried to help raise them for a 2 year period and it takes a lot of attention to get them to school, doctors , sports, etc, we never had anytime to do much while looking after 4 little boys. I think u need to stay home and ask your boss for some other responsible position to move on up in ur company or look around or go to nite school. It takes a lot of money to raise 4 kids. I ve been there ,,,don't know how u do it on the money ur making.:)

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have to agree with what most posters here are telling you, do what you must to stay off the road. My best days in expediting are the ones spent at home near my 16 y/o daughter.