I hate my headlights

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I hate my headlights, when I first bought my truck, freightliner m2 series, I loved my headlights, but lately they have gotten that faded plastic skin disorder, i have polished them till my arms are sore and on fire. I also hate the fact that you can see the small vertical lines that are in the plastic lens on the highway in the light, causing a streaked look.
I'm looking for some sort of driving light/fog lamp to add to the front bumper, any suggestions, fleabay has tons of led fog lights, however I hate to buy stuff, and have to return it, cause it's junk. So I'm reaching out to see what others are using, what opinions of these led driving lights are etc...............

thanks
tk

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
You try using like a 2000 grit sandpaper and some type of rubbing compound to take off that haze layer. They sell kits that has all sandpaper and compound you will need

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Next time your at walmart get the 10 dollar turtle wax headlight kit. Its worked wonders for me on yellow headlights.

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Tapatalk

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I replaced the headlights on my Columbia for the same reason. I never could get them completely clear. I think some of it was on the inside. They weren't sealed well at the back. I got both headlight assemblies off Ebay for about $250 best i remember. It was well worth it.

Have you checked FL to see what new assemblies would cost?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Like you, Diane and I loved our headlights when we bought our truck new. We've never before had lighting that good. It was great. Over time the lenses yellowed until we had enough and replaced the headlamp assemblies. It was not cheap but was money well spent.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Try cleaning um up with the products suggested earlier. If that does not work, looks like you can get them online for about 150 a side.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Headlight restoration only works on the lenses. Over time, the reflective interior of the lamp gets oxidized, blackened and less reflective. The inside of the lens can also cloud up from oxidation. With most modern headlamp assemblies, that reflective interior cannot be (easily or cheaply) replaced or restored.

I've restored my lenses a few times, and they do look considerably better. But eventually you just need to replace them.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
There are a few writeups about how to do the Volvo lens right on some of the RV sites. Most of what people miss to complete the 'restoration' is not to put anything on the lens that protect is from the UV. 3M makes a good kit but lacks that coating. I think a good UV clear paint is needed.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
My son works at a auto parts place and he said that people are tickled with Rain-X's restoration kit.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would recommend replacing your headlights. I had my van headlights professionally buffed and while the results were impressive, there is no comparison to new lenses. Six months after the buffing, I hit a deer and had to replace the passenger side headlight assembly. Dramatic difference between the new headlight and the buffed out headlight.

I've got a pair of small round driving lights mounted low in a spoiler under my front bumper and also a set of rectangular fog lights, all are protected with X-Pel http://www.xpel.com/products/headlight.asp I ordered a sheet and cut my own to fit. You can also order pre-cut to fit your particular make car. Not sure about big trucks.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This makes the old-style sealed beams seem not too bad. They're large and that makes it hard to store spares, but on the flip side it seems glass lenses don't get the crazing that plastic lenses do, and it's not nearly as expensive when you have to replace one.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This makes the old-style sealed beams seem not too bad. They're large and that makes it hard to store spares, but on the flip side it seems glass lenses don't get the crazing that plastic lenses do, and it's not nearly as expensive when you have to replace one.

Yup. And they're less than 8 bucks.

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
BOUGHT 2 BRAND NEW FOR 270.00 SENT TO THE HOUSE WITH BULBS IN THEM INCLUDING THE TURNS THERE ON LINE ILL LOOK FOR THE BILL AND GET THE COMP. NAME THESE WERE FOR AN M2 106 SO BRIGHT IF I HAD TO DO THIS EVERY 2 YRS ITS WORTH IT 15 MINS. TO CHANGE OUT .:cool: