I am ANGRY....and do not know where to direct it.....

guido4475

Not a Member
Well, they CLAIM to be a premium vehicle. I would not consider a vehicle that needs it's butt kissed on a regular basis to keep it running, premium. There is a HUGE difference from needing proper service and coddling. If one wants to expedite, buy a truck. Trucks should be tough, reliable and simple, built to run for many years and many miles with a minimum of problems and simplicity of maintenance. THAT is a premium vehicle.

IF I were going into a "little expediter" I doubt I would be looking at a sprinter. There are, at least in my opinion, better options out there.

Once again, can I hear a loud "AMEN" in the house this morning???????

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You can get help for phobias. Just be careful how you go about it. Some may consider a sprinter phobia enough of a mental illness to take away your right to own a gun.

penalty.jpg

15 yards for introducing politics into a thread about Sprinters.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Just friendly advice. I would hate to see someone's life messed up by a silly phobia like yours!
It's not a silly phobia of mine. My comment was a satirical commentary on the phobia of others. A phobia is a persistent, irrational of something, a fear so powerful that it causes one with the phobia to avoid it (see above). Since I have a Sprinter, and you know that, I'm not sure what the purpose of your comment is, other than mindless banter designed to derail the thread. Please try a little harder to stay on topic. Thank you for participating in the EO Forums.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's not a silly phobia of mine. My comment was a satirical commentary on the phobia of others. A phobia is a persistent, irrational of something, a fear so powerful that it causes one with the phobia to avoid it (see above). Since I have a Sprinter, and you know that, I'm not sure what the purpose of your comment is, other than mindless banter designed to derail the thread. Please try a little harder to stay on topic. Thank you for participating in the EO Forums.

Wake up on the wrong side of the shell this morning? Bit short on the humor side of life? I was NOT being serious. GEEZ, touchy, touchy! I was not trying to derail anything, this ain't even a train.

Yeah, I know you drive a sprinter. I saw people expressing valid interest in the possible problems that sprinters may have, exploring other options and stating why they may prefer those options. Some, those without humor,could taken the "scare of sprinters" remark as an insult. Some could even feel that you may have been trying to ridicule their questioning of the mighty sprinter.

I just thought it was funny and cracked a joke back to what I thought was a joke. HEAVEN FORBID!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, they CLAIM to be a premium vehicle. I would not consider a vehicle that needs it's butt kissed on a regular basis to keep it running, premium. There is a HUGE difference from needing proper service and coddling. If one wants to expedite, buy a truck. Trucks should be tough, reliable and simple, built to run for many years and many miles with a minimum of problems and simplicity of maintenance. THAT is a premium vehicle.

IF I were going into a "little expediter" I doubt I would be looking at a sprinter. There are, at least in my opinion, better options out there.

and YOUR truck has been a ball of joy?......LOL

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think Mercedes should do an competent ownership test before selling one to an American....
I am sure they would not sell very many....Americans just are not that consumer smart....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
and YOUR truck has been a ball of joy?......LOL

Nope, which is EXACTLY why if I ever decide to look for new truck I would look at other than Freightliner first. I can say that my MB engine, a knock off of a Detroit Diesel, has been good so far. So has the transmission. It is the "truck" part that is a pain in the neck.

I would look at Freightliners again, but NOT at the Business Class trucks, only the Class 8.

I am, however, NOT happy with Freightliners lack of attention to customer concerns. That is another reason I would look at other options to Freightlner first.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
770,000 miles almost $1 million in revenue for a $40,000 investment....about $50,000 in mechanical stuff.....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nope, which is EXACTLY why if I ever decide to look for new truck I would look at other than Freightliner first. I can say that my MB engine, a knock off of a Detroit Diesel, has been good so far. So has the transmission. It is the "truck" part that is a pain in the neck.

I would look at Freightliners again, but NOT at the Business Class trucks, only the Class 8.

I am, however, NOT happy with Freightliners lack of attention to customer concerns. That is another reason I would look at other options to Freightlner first.

That is 1 reason IF I were in the market for a new van I would not buy a another sprinter....I don't want to deal with FL or an uppity Mercedes dealer....AND they still have problems with the DPF system....
AND to top it all off....2014 they will introduce an all NEW redesigned Sprinter....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
770,000 miles almost $1 million in revenue for a $40,000 investment....about $50,000 in mechanical stuff.....

What do they cost now? How does that cost compare to other comparable vehicles? How do the repair costs compare? Is it possible to get the same, or more, miles out of another vehicle that may cost less?

I just think that the sprinter is only one option out there. It may, or may not, better better or worse. It strictly depends on the needs of the owner. Just because someone is not comfortable with the sprinter does not make that person a "lessor expediter", it only makes that person an expediter that prefers Acme trucks to sprinters.

The whole thing kinda reminds me of the arguments I used to here in high school over which was better, Ford, Dodge or Chevy. It's all SO NASCAR! :p

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
What do they cost now? How does that cost compare to other comparable vehicles? How do the repair costs compare? Is it possible to get the same, or more, miles out of another vehicle that may cost less?

I just think that the sprinter is only one option out there. It may, or may not, better better or worse. It strictly depends on the needs of the owner. Just because someone is not comfortable with the sprinter does not make that person a "lessor expediter", it only makes that person an expediter that prefers Acme trucks to sprinters.

The whole thing kinda reminds me of the arguments I used to here in high school over which was better, Ford, Dodge or Chevy. It's all SO NASCAR! :p

Yes...It is all up to the individual who may chose to own one....the level of responsibility and level of time and care they chose to put into it....
most I find just want to turn the key and go....if that is the case...buy a North American slop bucket, step on the gas and go for it....LOL

guido4475

Not a Member
I think Mercedes should do an competent ownership test before selling one to an American....
I am sure they would not sell very many....Americans just are not that consumer smart....

Let me guess.....you're sitting in an easy chair, in front of the television with rabbit ears antennas on top of it, watching t.v., while at the same time you're computer is on a t.v. tray in front of you. with you monitoring E.O. forums, already bored out of you're gourd....in Bison, S.D........am I correct??....lol...

I was getting the feeling from you're post about Americans not being so consumer friendly that you are bored, and trying to stir things up for you're entertainment.....lol..

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's not a silly phobia of mine. My comment was a satirical commentary on the phobia of others. A phobia is a persistent, irrational of something, a fear so powerful that it causes one with the phobia to avoid it (see above).

People that read about the troubles people have with Sprinters end up with valid concerns, not irrational fears. There were a few years where Sprinters were fairly decent, and if you have one of those you're going to be happy. But, Sprinters before and after that are a different animal. Hobo's got the finicky repair and up-keep to deal with, without the mid-20s fuel mileage to off set that.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That is the thing Joe.....we are talking Mercedes here...a premium vehicle that requires at times premium service.....and the guys that bought them SHOULD have known this....these guys are suffering "buyers remorse"...for they knew nothing of what they did....

A work truck should NOT require an act of worship as part of the ritual. Sprinter loses here, big time. Sorry, way too expensive and way too fussy for any but the rich-- who just might be inclined to make deliveries in a Jaguar.

guido4475

Not a Member
Yes...It is all up to the individual who may chose to own one....the level of responsibility and level of time and care they chose to put into it....
most I find just want to turn the key and go....if that is the case...buy a North American slop bucket, step on the gas and go for it....LOL

And have more time and money to spend on you're wife and kids because you're American slop bucket won't need to go into the dealership for a DPF filter, or something like that, that has thrown the poor thing into limp mode, limping you to the dealer, only to find out that the part is still on the assembly line in Germany, and it won't arrive in the United States for another 2 weeks, so you take a Greyhound bus home, and ......and....well, you know the rest.....lol....Sometimes more simpler and less complicated is a lot better!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

If it works, GO FOR IT! Take care of that "slop bucket", run your business right, and one can do as good as a sprinter once the bottom line is figured. It is all a matter of choice.