I 94 shutdown kalamazoo Co. MI MM 90

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
What is it that state and counties can't clear the highways? 75 up past exit 75 is slick. M59 seems to have been bypassed by even the plows. Umm... what are our fuel taxes going to again? Besides politicians' pet projects and corruption, I mean.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It is more difficult in these colder temps. Rock salt alone is not very effective when the temps are below +15. Blowing snow also hinders efforts.

Much of the road tax money is going to subsidize buss rides in Detroit, Flint, all big cities. The "New" fix, the additional 1% sales tax is NOT all going to roads. It is just more of the same of what we have, which is why I am voting no on that in May.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
131 sb south of gr is closed...
eb m6 in gr closed
80/90 south Bend area closed

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
AAA says when in a pileup to stay in your vehicles until Emergency personnel arrive. After seeing the video above, and the cars/trucks sliding out of control and slamming into the back of other vehicles, I'm not sure if that is always wise. I don't blame them for wanting to get to a safer location up the road.

AAA spokeswoman says stay in car during pileup

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
AAA says when in a pileup to stay in your vehicles until Emergency personnel arrive. After seeing the video above, and the cars/trucks sliding out of control and slamming into the back of other vehicles, I'm not sure if that is always wise. I don't blame them for wanting to get to a safer location up the road.

AAA spokeswoman says stay in car during pileup
And yet when you are broke down on the side of the road they tell you to get yourself and your family out of the car it up on the shoulder as far away from the road

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I-94 is a terrible highway to travel on in the winter time. They never salt the roads and there is always ice on the road. I hate that highway. No one will slow down either. They just zip on through until the cars start to spin and pile up. It's ridiculous that this same thing happens every year and they haven't figured out a way to prevent it yet. It's absolutely mind boggling. Are the fire departments really that slow in the winter time? I mean dang. Someone should have done something about this road by now. I guess not. They're too interested in giving away free water in Detroit.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A combination of a few bad weather conditions last Friday--
Previous day heavy snow fall. The roads weren't clear of snow and ice due the extremely cold weather. (Salt not sufficiently melting the ice) You had heavy winds blowing snow back on the roadway. You also had pockets of snow squalls pop up here and there. Recipe for disaster.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Usually. .....94 closes down by my house..I'm 1.5 miles north of mm 63 ...and we have 5-6 of these pileups a year...not this bad...but there always happening...

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I have always wondered if those new cable fences have something to do with it?? Seems now that there installed pileups are more frequent. .is it because it keeps the cars closer to the travel lanes ...so they pile up quicker???

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
People driving far too fast for conditions and tailgating is the primary cause. Too many just see "70" on the sign and believe that they have to drive 70. There is no need for them to pay attention to conditions. Then, the "stuff" hits the fan, and you have the real recipe for disaster.

It's winter, it's Michigan. It is not a secret that salt is not effective below certain temps. It is not a secret that the western side of the state is subject to lake effect snow. It is known that, as the road conditions are "less than perfect", one needs to slow down. Too many believe that road conditions, and physics, for some reason, don't apply to them.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I have lived on the same road Red Arrow Hwy. for 35+ years...Red Arrow is 3/4 of mile and runs parallel with 94 ..its where the divert traffic when 94 is closed down..so i know every time because of the thousands of cars going by the house..when its shut down...and sure been an uptick in the last 5 yrs or so...same as the cable fences existence ..just a thought..

Also am sure cell phones have alot to do with it too..

all i know is the pileups in the last 5 years or so are more than i have ever seen..

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I agree with LOS: driving too fast for the conditions - it seemed pretty clear in the vid I posted, people were just zooming into the wrecks.
People seem to believe that when cars can go from 0-60 in mere seconds,with antilock brakes, stabilizer technology, & all wheel drive, what's to worry? They forget that basic physics have not been overcome, and traction is not guaranteed, especially at higher speeds.
The automotive & advertising industries aren't helping, with an emphasis on speed and "infotainment" over the need for the driver to actually drive according to conditions, especially when that means slower and with 110% focus on the road.
OTOH, maybe everyone [else] just has a hot date...:rolleyes:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
10933935_815498965194264_3558501398132359417_n.jpg

........................:p

rjthetightway

Seasoned Expediter
Everyone keeps saying cars are causing these accidents in the winter but in actuality it's the semis that are causing them, just like in this accident which was caused be semis. What semi drivers need to realize just because your driving a big rig doesn't mean you can drive 60-65 in white out conditions or slick roads so you can get to your next stop on time, what you need to realize is you're a man-made whiteout rolling down the road and the ones behind you are paying for it so my advice is slow down and you might just save a pileup like this one or better yet-a life...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It does not seem to matter what people are driving, cars, trucks, vans or whatever. Far too many drive way to fast for conditions and tailgating is common, regardless of weather conditions. These sort of accidents will continue to occur as long as people choose to ignore the laws of physics and the weather.