Humidifer

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do you have a hydrometer in the truck?
A hydrometer is used to measure the specific gravity of a liquid. It comes in handy for testing engine coolant or acid in a battery. For measuring moisture content in the air you want a hygrometer.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A hydrometer is used to measure the specific gravity of a liquid. It comes in handy for testing engine coolant or acid in a battery. For measuring moisture content in the air you want a hygrometer.

You are right, I got it mixed up. Thanks.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Walmart sells these little units designed for a bedroom made by VICKS, it hold a gallon of water, I buy the water at Walmart and it works great. Last year due to being up north so much and the extremely cold temps I started having Nose bleeds, the humidifier really stopped thats and left me breathing allot easier...its a small round unit and runs on 120V, will sit on the floor and works great.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This is what I have in the truck. It's got a magnet on the back for mounting, or you can use double-sided tape. AcuRite Digital Humidity and Temperature Monitor $8.94

This is the hydrometer I have in my van. It is mounted to the wall next to my bed, in easy reach, in case of an emergency. It doesn't have a magnet mount or even Velcro. It is stuck to the wall with a chunk of duct tape. It was free with the purchase of a gallon of Prestone.

I've only used it twice in emergency situations. Once, years ago while sleeping outside a mine in Sudbury, Ontario. I woke up with burning eyes and lungs. I looked outside. It was raining and the paint on my van was dissolving. I grabbed my handy hydrometer and sampled some rain. It showed concentrations of acid. Sure enough, acid rain. I ate some Tums and went back to sleep.

The second time was in Houston, near a polyglycol plant. Again rain, but this time green rain. My hydrometer indicated that I was good to -50°F.

Attachments

• hydrometer.jpg
    hydrometer.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 20