how would you expect this relationship to end

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
I am not a party to this just looking for opinions the story goes like this.

drivers respond to add of team wanted around the 15th of dec.

they are contracted to tri-state and agree to operate truck on a 65/40 split with them getting 65% and paying for fuel and gets 100% fsc

after 3 weeks of 0 loads and carriers suggesting they dont move from the home board because they are number 1 team and there just aint no freight x-mass time one driver gives up one driver remains.

remaining driver stays and agrees to operate truck as a single.
remaining driver runs for about 4 more weeks.
when the third week rolls around remaining driver is told he didnt get a check because owner deducted $150 for co-driver leaving without 3 weeks notice.

but next week he will get a check for $175
mind you 6 or seven weeks have gone by at this point,But forrest being forrest says ok he deals with the $150 charge.in hopes that freight will pick up and it will all work in the end.
owner says they will try to find a co-driver to put with him.
another week 1 run 100 miles delivers on monday up by cleveland driver sits all week and on friday morning says screw it and moves to toledo arrives before noon and is number 3 out friday passes no load sat,sun no load monday 500 mile run to PA delivers tuesday
number 1 out sits tuesday nothing moves to harrisburg wed,thursday nothing friday.owner calls him friday and says he found a team to take over truck and wants him to wait for a load back to oh.he agrees and sits till today and gets a load back to ohio.

whats wrong with this picture?
I would have gave up at the same time the co-driver did myself but forrest is homeless at the age of 63 his home burns with no insurance so with no home to go to he has no reason to go anyplace other than where the company offers loads to.in service 24/7

when the owner told him that if he stayed in service and got the truck back to ohio they would make sure him and everything he owned got back to IL.now the days arrived and he is calling me wanting me to come get him.why should i drive 800 miles round trip seems to me if your a fleet owner and have a single decent bone in your body you would get him here or at least square up with him now since you kept all his fsc for a co-driver quiting.what kinda crap is that and susan and andrew the guy took every load offered paid for every dime of fuel you can at least square up and i know you told him you would only charge him for a half a tank of fuel when the truck was returned but if he pays for the fuel back to toledo and there is even 1/4 tank of fuel in the truck I think you should be happy to call that even cause I sure aint got no call from you offering me any fuel money to drive 800 miles to pick him up and bring him back to live with me.and you are the ones that replaced him without 3 weeks notice.

its a sad day for that old homeless man.didnt your mom raise you any better than that.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think only speaking for me, I would be honest with the guy and tell him that he can't remain profitable running as a solo in that particular climate. With that said, I wouldn't "throw him to the wolves". In my case I would put him up for a period of time depending on where I am at. Actually, we have done this twice.
Loyalty carries a lot of weight with us. I would pay him what he is due and help him secure employment that is more suitable to his needs.
Just my take on something like that.

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
Davekc's got the right idea, but its all to often that there are owners out there that do not care about what happens to the drivers...and its those that leave a bad taste in others mouth when it comes to looking for a job elsewhere.
Good luck to your friend, maybe there is a silver lining to his grey cloud.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Dm#@@#@ it,
I just knew i was getting shafted.
I get paid 60/40 when in reality some are on 65/40!!!!!!!
Billionaire owners pocketing that extra 5%, the secret is out, fess up.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
A hunnert ten percent?? Now, what would we know about giving a hunert ten percent??

Hey Hawk, jew ever have a moderator after ya?? Seems the Caffee has got a fix on my number. May hafta get banned some day I guess. Sooo.. if I go away sometime sooner or later, i'll jes say to all of you have a g'day each day forever.

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
as the dramma unfolds

spoke to owner last last after the end result from susan was she went to wal-mart and sent me $115 to rent a car and come pick forrest up.

but keep in mind she deducted a fee of $115 from this homeless guy because his co-driver quit.even when they signed seperate contracts

now its not clear to me if this $115 will be deducted from his final settlement or if shes just keeping andrews word to forrest that as long as the truck was returned to tri-state lot his mom susan would make she he got home.

it cost $143 for the one way rental to get this driver home plus fuel.

now in our conversation the owner expects the truck to be brung back with a full tank of fuel.

after questioning forrest about this I asked him does your each of your contracts say that the truck has to brought back with a full tank of fuel and he says yes.

so i guess the way her contract reads is your responcible for the debt of your co-driver and your each responcible for the cost of a full tank of fuel deducted from your final sttlement.

now how should that be dealt with when the driver is put in a spot like this.he didnt quit the owner just decided to go another way.why should he be expected to pay for fuel used to be let go dont you think in all fairness the owner should at a very minimum should pay him his 65% of the cheapest loaded rate of $1.05 per mile for all miles from last drop to terminal plus fuel surcharge.

you know last night I was talking to this lady and I said why dont you just let forrest bring the truck back to the terminal and square up to date with him and if you dont want to get him home then at least this poor fellow has the funds available to take care of his self and get to a home he doesnt have.I am sure a 60+ single fellow really wants to come stay with a married couple in a 3 bedroom house that has 4 kids.

to me forrest deserves better than this.to me he has been a true road warrior out over 30 days without maken any real money he cashed out his card and to put $176 dollars in his pocket and had one deposit to his bank from owner of I think $150
and even though he stuck it out in the slowest time of year he is now jobless and homeless.

he is about 30 miles out of toledo if you meet him there please show him where to turn in his paperwork and help him figure out his log so he can get everything done on his part

bludragon13

Seasoned Expediter
kwexpress, this post is confusing. you start by saying " i am not a party to this...." and then go into a detailed discrepition that clearly shows you ARE a party to the situation and deeply involved. this brings up some questions-how is this 60+yr old man related to you and why are responsible for him? did you introduce him to expediting as a way to better himself? yes a good owner would not tie two drivers ,not from same household, to a single contract.drivers who are contracted to an owner , are seperate people and should not be responsible for each other. drivers come and go and with your involvement you should have reviewed the contract before he signed it ,also if you continue this involvement and bring him into your home you could be putting undo stress on your own family. if he is not a relative then maybe you should rethink this before bringing him into your home and your childrens lives.