how much room

cj6350

Active Expediter
:cool:Looking to get three pallets add a sleeper to the sprinter had 185" about 60" hope it will still work. what are the pallet sizes

Last edited:

Monty

Expert Expediter
With a 170" extended, you should be able to do a 30" sleeper behind the seats, and still have 12' of cargo space.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Personally,I put 13 ft of e track in figuring 12 ft for cargo and 6 inchs on each end for freight bars and or straps to secure frieght....

and yes most automotive "bins" are 48x45, alot are 48x48 and more then a few of the "steel bucket bins" are 48x52....

My 2nd load in my new van that has a 14 ft load floor was a "Speciality Automotive Rack" that was 13.5 ft long...

Keep in mind, nothing is 'normal" in expediting...

My "sleeper area" is 6 ft long, but it can quickly be converted back to a 13 ft load floor....

shmekeru

Active Expediter
Personally,I put 13 ft of e track in figuring 12 ft for cargo and 6 inchs on each end for freight bars and or straps to secure frieght....

and yes most automotive "bins" are 48x45, alot are 48x48 and more then a few of the "steel bucket bins" are 48x52....

My 2nd load in my new van that has a 14 ft load floor was a "Speciality Automotive Rack" that was 13.5 ft long...

Keep in mind, nothing is 'normal" in expediting...

My "sleeper area" is 6 ft long, but it can quickly be converted back to a 13 ft load floor....

Here is my question: How do you guys get the load the the front end of the cargo. I see you are talking about some type of bars. Do they do the trick? How do you use them?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I think your question is, "How do you guys get "TO" the load "IN" the front end ,,,,of the cargo...

Ok, to get a skid up ft, the highlo driver uses the last skid to be loaded to push the 1st one loaded to the ft..then to unload the FRONT skid, there are several ways...I personally have a 12 ft long chain with a automotive tow truck hook on it and a small hook on the other end to hook onto the higlo rack so they can then pull the skid back to the end of the van..

There are also "pallet-pullers' available that you use with a chain. Then there is always a loang nylon strap that can be used...

shmekeru

Active Expediter
I think your question is, "How do you guys get "TO" the load "IN" the front end ,,,,of the cargo...

Ok, to get a skid up ft, the highlo driver uses the last skid to be loaded to push the 1st one loaded to the ft..then to unload the FRONT skid, there are several ways...I personally have a 12 ft long chain with a automotive tow truck hook on it and a small hook on the other end to hook onto the higlo rack so they can then pull the skid back to the end of the van..

There are also "pallet-pullers' available that you use with a chain. Then there is always a loang nylon strap that can be used...

Thanks chefdennis. Now, what if you have one 3000 lb skid and a 158'' long cargo and you want to get that skid passed rear axle of the van so you don't have all this weight right on the axle and they are not able to push it that far. I may be asking stupid questions, but I am still new in this type of business.

guido4475

Not a Member
Thanks chefdennis. Now, what if you have one 3000 lb skid and a 158'' long cargo and you want to get that skid passed rear axle of the van so you don't have all this weight right on the axle and they are not able to push it that far. I may be asking stupid questions, but I am still new in this type of business.

As a precautionary measure, to prevent the possibility of snapping the pin in the transmission that holds the vehicle in "park", put the trans in neautral, set the parking brake, chock the wheels, and then, the towmotor driver should use and empty pallat to push the load forward to the desired position, then bar and strap until comfortable..Same with unloading...most of the skids I've hauled have been on the average of 48x45...

A freind of mine has a setup that I will be doing in my new replacement vehicle to make the best use of floorspace.That is, to have a removeable bed behind the seats, sidewall to sidewall, and it can be used along the sidewall as well, when unloaded, waiting for a load to stretch out..Make sure to have e-track, 2 rows, on the floor, the whole 12 ft, to be able to properly secure the freight..

guido4475

Not a Member

As a precautionary measure, to prevent the possibility of snapping the pin in the transmission that holds the vehicle in "park", put the trans in neautral, set the parking brake, chock the wheels, and then, the towmotor driver should use and empty pallat to push the load forward to the desired position, then bar and strap until comfortable..Same with unloading...most of the skids I've hauled have been on the average of 48x45...

A freind of mine has a setup that I will be doing in my new replacement vehicle to make the best use of floorspace.That is, to have a removeable bed behind the seats, sidewall to sidewall, and it can be used along the sidewall as well, when unloaded, waiting for a load to stretch out..Make sure to have e-track, 2 rows, on the floor, the whole 12 ft, to be able to properly secure the freight..

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
As Guido said, push it with an empty skid...and guidos precautionary ideas are also excellent and something even alot of us doing this daily just "shortcut" and one day will pay the price...Just like loading while pointed downhill on a ramp, always use the parking brake...

shmekeru

Active Expediter
Make sure to have e-track, 2 rows, on the floor, the whole 12 ft, to be able to properly secure the freight..

I do not have the e-track, and I would like to get it installed. I would greatly appreciate if anybody know the do it yourself steps or should I get them installed by a professional ? And where do you buy this two 12 ft rows from. I hate to see my Sprinter floor scratching every time I get loaded/unloaded.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I do not have the e-track, and I would like to get it installed. I would greatly appreciate if anybody know the do it yourself steps or should I get them installed by a professional ? And where do you buy this two 12 ft rows from. I hate to see my Sprinter floor scratching every time I get loaded/unloaded.
You should have a plywood deck put down (screwed or bolted) on top of the factory deck. A lot of people just use the factory deck, but if the plywood gets chewed up it is a lot easier to replace.

As for E-track, most trailer places have those, some will install it for you. Or you could order them from someplace like Truck n Tow

To install E-Track is pretty simple. You just use self-tapping screws.

If you use 1/2" plywood decking, the plywood will sit just slightly above the E-Track, so as not to have skids get snapped and hung up on the E-track when loading and unloading.

Here's some decent threads on E-track, flooring and other stuff:
http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/truck-talk/22505-e-track-installation.html

http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/garage-beta-test-forum/38451-help-plywood-floor.html

http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/newbies-paradise-forum/42193-e-track.html

http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/truck-talk/38726-van-plywood-floor-how-other.html