how much is fudged

jrgibbs1

Seasoned Expediter
I just got my fedCC packet today and the per year and per mile averages seem a little fudged. If these numbers were real I might just have to go trade my B lic. for an A lic. and run a E unit. First time I have seen those numbers from anyone:eek::confused:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
When we see those numbers we just laugh. Those numbers are a two year average and we have found them to be low for our size truck.

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
I just got my fedCC packet today and the per year and per mile averages seem a little fudged. If these numbers were real I might just have to go trade my B lic. for an A lic. and run a E unit. First time I have seen those numbers from anyone:eek::confused:

Unfortunately, a lot of things in trucking are "fudged". :)

It becomes a minefield for those new folks entering into the industry to the point that it is pretty much mandatory to seek out mentoring from someone with significant experience to avoid the pitfalls along the way.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
When we saw those numbers, we thought.. OMG they are WAY low.. I guess they don't like to make false promises there (like the others).. but I'm surprised anyone is signing up with them, when they see those numbers!

jrgibbs1

Seasoned Expediter
what got me was the milage average. I would like to see an Over the road guy drive only 70k miles a year. The comapny that I used to work for ran small transit buses and they would run almost 100k a year

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
The numbers presented by any trucking company are a median average. This means that 50% make more and 50% make less.

So here is a little lesson in averages:

You have a ten truck fleet just for easy numbers

Truck
1. 200,000.00
2. 200,000.00
3. 200,000.00
4. 100,000.00
5. 80,000.00
6. 80,000.00
7. 50,000.00
8. 50,000.00
9. 40,000.00
10. 10,000.00

So here you go this is what I paid my hypothetical trucks for the year. Now when I tell you my trucks average

$141,000.00

I am not fudging numbers or lying I am just stating facts.

But as you notice only 30% of my fleet met this number, so when they talk averages there are so many numbers to consider. How many guys really hustle never takes a day off run consistently and how many are just playing at trucking just looking to make enough to make the payments and feed themselves?
These are the guys that really skew the numbers, some over work and some under work. No matter the reasons it really messes with the numbers.

Also when it comes to and E unit the expenses are much greater than with a smaller unit.
:)

Last edited:

jrgibbs1

Seasoned Expediter
after you do the math, yes the numbers are really low, after factoring in fuel, truck, and other expenses, the owner or contactor doest really make that much, I mean when you factor in roughly 50 cents per mile just to operate the truck just in fuel, and an average of say 1.15 per mile, that doesnt leave a whole lot of wiggle room

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Well I havent seen the figures,and Ive had a lot of time off this year,but right now I'm at $150000 and 80000 miles,with the best quarter to come.Ive bought 12000 gallons of fuel

jrgibbs1

Seasoned Expediter
i would venture out on a limb and say you are doing ok, nightcreacher, 50 grand in fuel is pretty good for 3/4 of the year so far:cool:

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Well I havent seen the figures,and Ive had a lot of time off this year,but right now I'm at $150000 and 80000 miles,with the best quarter to come.Ive bought 12000 gallons of fuel

Nite, would you mind sharing how much of that went to your co-driver?
Do you keep him running when you are off?

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Just went back to one of my previous co drivers,as hes very familiar with the dispatch system.He is going to run solo til' i get back to work,about 3 weeks.My co driver averages about 900 a week,and we work about 22 days a month.Not sure what the income will be solo,but he will be getting a third of it before the fsc.Usually when im home ,truck is in garage for service.We stay home 1 day for every week gone,sometimes a little more

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The excuse line must read that junk as all he does is hollar.

I can hollar back.

U got to spend money to make monie.

IF you in the business to make monie then U gots to spend the monie as well to make it.

Would you spend 400 bucks to make 6000 bucks???

would U DH 700 miles to drive a load 1400 miles for 6000 bucks?

Would U Dh 15 miles to take a load 2040
for 6000 bucks?

I have.:)

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Just went back to one of my previous co drivers,as hes very familiar with the dispatch system.He is going to run solo til' i get back to work,about 3 weeks.My co driver averages about 900 a week,and we work about 22 days a month.Not sure what the income will be solo,but he will be getting a third of it before the fsc.Usually when im home ,truck is in garage for service.We stay home 1 day for every week gone,sometimes a little more

Steve if you stay home one day for every week gone
I was out since May so give me 2 weeks for may and then
all of june July aug and Sept 10 I am home. Still home so how much more time I got then if I bee working under your
rules?? Just wondering .
:)

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
being out and being productive,is different than sitting out of hours,cause running solo

Steven I had a team May June July till the last part of Aug

Never mind I say somthng u gona say somthing else.

Just note this while u were home I was out and when My partenr was home I was out. haven a load.

I can see with you your never satisfied. Reguardless

I was told by Tom out 4 weeks in a week. out 4 weeks in a week. Home time.

I suppose that would too much for you.

But I was out May June July Aug and shut down on the 9th of Sept. My last load.

Renewed my license now Im sitting at home. Tomorrow is my B day Last year I missed it and the year before that as well.
Now if they give me a good load hey Ill jump.

Thanks for your Non imput Steve....

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I always thought to get an Average you totaled the figures/items and then divided by the amount (total) as in ten lines of figures should be divided by ten to get the average.