How many is too many?

in-Transit

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How many miles "grace" do you give in event of discrepancy? Case in point our carrier goes zip code to zip code, our current load is 48 miles off but they are covered in zip to zip part of our contract.. Having a "fit" this morning I figured out I've given them nearly 1000 miles so far this year... How does everyone else compare to that ?

Sent from my flying circus

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How many miles "grace" do you give in event of discrepancy? Case in point our carrier goes zip code to zip code, our current load is 48 miles off but they are covered in zip to zip part of our contract.. Having a "fit" this morning I figured out I've given them nearly 1000 miles so far this year... How does everyone else compare to that ?

Look and see how many times you won that game. We notice over the years things kind of evened out.

in-Transit

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Unfortunately this year is 1000 me vs 280 them! We aren't winning lol

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Unfortunately this year is 1000 me vs 280 them! We aren't winning lol

You know what they say, sometimes your the windshield, sometimes your the bug! LOL
I don't miss it, I can tell you that!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What's that saying? Oh yeah, the house always wins. And we aren't the house. When your carrier chooses to be one that everyone has to chase and hope someday to be that good you come out pretty close. Like Fedex used to be several years ago. When they choose to be one of the gang then you find the big discrepancies and all in their favor, like now.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Ask Panther how they feel about using the Zip to Zip method of paying loaded miles.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Is that the Eubanks vs Panther deal?

No. That was tied to other issues. With regards to Panther mileage variances, they have gotten better over the years but do still occasionally need to be challenged. Especially when nautical miles are used verses practical.

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
Is the mileage difference from what your GPS says? Because we all know how well the GPS systems are. Most places pay PC miler practical miles. But it usually boils down to the GPS is picking a different route than pc miler. I know this because i ended up buying PC miler and compared it to my GPS unit on runs.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
That's why our dispatchers run miles on PCMiler before bidding on loads from certain people. A lot of folks like to list their loads with shortest distance, or borders open on loads from New England to MI. We base our bids on the miles we come up with. That doesn't mean we still don't occasionally come up with discrepancies, but it limits it somewhat.

in-Transit

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Regarding GPS we use a " connected" TND 720 and Google maps using the 2 I can usually route to match or gain mileage...our carrier does use pcmiler. But I swear gps/iPad/ map book I still can't figure some of these out !

Sent from my flying circus ....

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hate to say this, but, this has been going on since before I came into trucking in early 93. Companies were using HHG for miles some still do some now you zip to zip and others use real miles.

Now for myself, I don't complain because I signed the contract with my company, then again, most of my loaded miles are booked as if I was on the big road. Heck, I even had a couple of loads that paid me for long miles and there was a shorter way to go that saved time.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I pretty much will fight for miles when they are off more than 20 or so, I usually win but get screwed other ways sometimes like waiting time, and Liftgate a few times. I just love the "oh yea by the way" calls a few hrs into a run. $$$ to me then or I won't do it, no one ever gives me a discount on fuel or tolls so tough turds to them...

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
depends on rate per mile loaded
The company he is running for pays all miles less the first 50 DH and they pay all tolls so i think its pretty fair and im looking at switching to them not to mention im betting the GPS settings is the reason for the additional miles. Ive seen this so many times when at other companies. Thats why i got pc miler.

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
I've noticed that running in high freight areas and auto loads that the miles always come up short so when going to certain areas I always add 20% to cover in and back out and certain company's that a load is from I add as much as 30% because I've found them always to be short.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
to the original question, i dont have a hard rule. even if it was zip to zip, and in the contract, and i had something close to 50 miles off of reality, i would call to verify that i was going to the right place. fifty miles can very easily equal an hour in time too. they might not mind short changing you, but how about being late. i calculated at my last carrier that i lost about 12% on every load. i just took that as part of doing business with them and reminded them of the fact when they wanted a favor. at current carrier i still keep track of the miles difference on all loads, but it is rarely off by much. not enough to even have a general rule to follow.

eb

Last edited:

in-Transit

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So as an added tool in my arsenal I know have Pcmiler's mobile app "copilot".... By goodness if I can't figure it out with 3 connected devices I'm screwed!! :)

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So as an added tool in my arsenal I know have Pcmiler's mobile app "copilot".... By goodness if I can't figure it out with 3 connected devices I'm screwed!! :)

I downloaded Copilot to my iPhone, the free version. I have PCmiler on my laptop for routing and mileage. All I really wanted from it was a quick mileage quote. After downloading the Copilot app I tested it. The mileage that came up was air miles and was stated as such. WTF! I'm not Flyingvan, I'm just Mootvan.