How long do you Stay out?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I don't profess to know it all, and i am sure most of you have forgot more then i know at this oint. And yea i know that screaming and burning up phone lines does nothing other then allow the screamer to vent. I am sure Longer wait times are coming, and I'll deal with them i the needed way when it happens, but from the way the post that draw that statement came across, it sounded like he was dealing with it on a "regular to semi regular" basis. A week wait i'd thunk would be few and far i between, maybe im wrong, but since i am "green", i guess i just don't see it, especially since less then 40% of my loads have been automotive related, bolt seems to have diversified themselves enough to not simply rely on auto freight, which may be why i don't see those types of waiting.

Only time will tell......

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't profess to know it all, and i am sure most of you have forgot more then i know at this oint. And yea i know that screaming and burning up phone lines does nothing other then allow the screamer to vent. I am sure Longer wait times are coming, and I'll deal with them i the needed way when it happens, but from the way the post that draw that statement came across, it sounded like he was dealing with it on a "regular to semi regular" basis. A week wait i'd thunk would be few and far i between, maybe im wrong, but since i am "green", i guess i just don't see it, especially since less then 40% of my loads have been automotive related, bolt seems to have diversified themselves enough to not simply rely on auto freight, which may be why i don't see those types of waiting.

I hope my useage of "green" didn't offend you...It was not intended as such...maybe I should've used "newbee"?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
OVM wrote:

I hope my useage of "green" didn't offend you...

Naaaahhh not in the least! You all have been nothing but a help and offered nothing but hionest opinions, its all good!

Besides, i have "pretty thick skin!" so no problem at all!

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Sure that couple days extra expereince helps us ovm. A good load or two extra a month (that are hidden in the fog) make it a excellent month instead of an mediocre month. My point simply wuz, that the "line burners" diminish their opportunitys each minute of time they use of the dispatchers load hunt. Providing they are hunters in the first place.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I stay out 3 to 4 months at a time.

The reason I dont make the monie i need to stay out 4 weeks then come in a a few days then back out.

In talking with another person. Its not me that the problem its the person Im driving for.

The Equipment also has a lot to do with it. I got asked how many service failers I have had. I said 0 right now. I was informed it dont have to be me.

They go off the Man I am driving for. Well that puts things into perspective.

finaly some one said it them selves its not me.

Thanks Paul Ill take that as word given.

SJMagic

Seasoned Expediter

To be honest, it's only happened once in the past six months that I didn't have one load off in a week. I've had several low mileage weeks, but a lot of times the next week is triple that so it works out.

I don't mind, but obviously I'd rather be driving down the road than sitting anywhere, but at least I can sit there and enjoy my video game on the laptop :D

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
I am in a tractor but o go "home" once a year i do go visit my kids every 3 to 4 months though for 2 to 3 days.

davelees1

Seasoned Expediter
We have a D unit and are out 6-8 weeks, then home 2-3 weeks. We did take all of July off since it is a slow time anyway.

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Living in the suburbs of Chicago, I usually take a run and turn around and deadhead home. Not really by my choice though; 1. The carriers I work for primarily specialize in one way freight and do not dabble in loadboard stuff! 2. The wife is happy with me knowing I'll be home ASAP.....she misses me.....and she is the breadwinner currently!

Do I make alot of money? Depends.....on if I can run the freight in my car and make my $1.45@mile. *(with one customer of mine). Generally the 72% with one carrier, and the flat rate $1.10@mile with the other carrier I make decent money. I never turn down a trip except for a few times ie, Wedding anniversary, Wife's Birthday, vehicle in the shop for repairs, etc. Usually the only way I've missed a load is when I missed a phone call from my carriers.

The next question I have............I believe I joined EO before Chef Dennis and How did he get to be a Senior Member and I'm still a lonely Junior Member? How can I get to the elite elevated membership?

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
The next question I have............I believe I joined EO before Chef Dennis and How did he get to be a Senior Member and I'm still a lonely Junior Member? How can I get to the elite elevated membership?

Redbird,
Our current software bases 'Junior or Senior' on the number of posts instead of join date.

Less than 30 posts = Junior Member
30-100 = Member
100+ = Senior Member

Tho.. I must admit, with the number of posts some of our regulars have, I need to create some new ranks.. LOL.

Dale

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Well then I better get to typing away here!!!!! but then when will I find time to drive if I'm on-line all the time! LOL.

AmericanLaw

Seasoned Expediter
My work week tends to be Mon-Fri. That's the time I alot for me to work. I come home every weekend. Every once in a while if it is a 1,000+ mile load and they are paying layover I will work the weekends, but rarely. The last time I took a weekend load was July to Texas. Now with gas so cheap it costs next to nothing to dead head home from any where within 800 miles. And most of the time on the way home I end up getting a load anyway. I have been in a cargo van expediting for 4 years now and haven't grossed less than $49k a year yet. May not sound like alot to some of you, but considering I work 2/3 of the year it's not bad. Plus it doesn't cost me anything to sit at home.

Oh and I haven't been out of service since March, and I have an 83% acceptance, so I am not just cherry picking, couldn't make it nowadays if I did.

The Law

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Redbird,
Our current software bases 'Junior or Senior' on the number of posts instead of join date.

Less than 30 posts = Junior Member
30-100 = Member
100+ = Senior Member

Tho.. I must admit, with the number of posts some of our regulars have, I need to create some new ranks.. LOL.

Dale

Ultra-Member.......maybe even Super-Hero member?*LOL*

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
My work week tends to be Mon-Fri. That's the time I alot for me to work. I come home every weekend. Every once in a while if it is a 1,000+ mile load and they are paying layover I will work the weekends, but rarely. The last time I took a weekend load was July to Texas. Now with gas so cheap it costs next to nothing to dead head home from any where within 800 miles. And most of the time on the way home I end up getting a load anyway. I have been in a cargo van expediting for 4 years now and haven't grossed less than $49k a year yet. May not sound like alot to some of you, but considering I work 2/3 of the year it's not bad. Plus it doesn't cost me anything to sit at home.

Oh and I haven't been out of service since March, and I have an 83% acceptance, so I am not just cherry picking, couldn't make it nowadays if I did.

The Law

It's not the gross that counts, it's the net.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
It's not the gross that counts, it's the net.

That is not entirely true. The net is different for everyone, I'll promise you that my net is higher on less gross if you are making a van payment! I don't owe a dime to anyone on anything to do with this business, this business does not have to net a dime, it does but i'll net more on less gross then most, so Gross IS also what counts!

If you ain't grossing it, you ain't netting it!! Unless like me you also enjoy screwing the IRS for every dime you can!! :D

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
That is not entirely true. The net is different for everyone, I'll promise you that my net is higher on less gross if you are making a van payment! I don't owe a dime to anyone on anything to do with this business, this business does not have to net a dime, it does but i'll net more on less gross then most, so Gross IS also what counts!

If you ain't grossing it, you ain't netting it!! Unless like me you also enjoy screwing the IRS for every dime you can!! :D

So that I don't hi jack the thread I will post my thoughts in the "Post you can use" thread.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Now with gas so cheap it costs next to nothing to dead head home from any where within 800 miles.
Yeah .... well ..... fuel isn't the only cost of course - but it is a big one.

Plus it doesn't cost me anything to sit at home.
Of course it does .... you have fixed costs that don't go away even if the truck isn't moving and earning (insurance, vehicle payment and Qualcomm possibly), and the cost of deadheading to get back home .... not to mention you're losing that per diem every day you are at home.