How Important Is To Get Hazmat Endorsement?

armin88

Expert Expediter
I'm currently studying for the hazmat test but I would like to know what's the % amount of hazmat loads that Panther Expedited Services hauls?And is it a must to have it if I go into the expedited field?Any inputs would be great.Thanks

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Depends on the company, with Panther I'd say yes. But with the one I run for, its of no use.

Sent from my DROID X2

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
at ceva you don't need it
when it came to renew it this time i did not get, also with ceva don't need cdl so did away with that
as they don't require it in sprinter van
to me was not cost effective as all money you have to spend to get it

armin88

Expert Expediter
I'm going go out without it to see how it will effect not having it,the company i'm may drive for wants you to get it after 90 days I believe.As far I know its not a Panther requirement unlike Fedex CC that does.Ill just see how it go's I guest.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm going go out without it to see how it will effect not having it,the company i'm may drive for wants you to get it after 90 days I believe.As far I know its not a Panther requirement unlike Fedex CC that does.Ill just see how it go's I guest.

Do you own your own truck or drive for an owner?

BigCat

Expert Expediter

Fedex cc doesn't require it unless you are wg/tval. I don't have hazmat and I drive for panther. I'd like to have it but haven't been home during the week to go apply. May never get it but I don't know if it will help or hurt not to.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines

Well, you will want to have it when you lose out on a load of Paint that is going from Chicago to LA. We had a truck that missed a nice load like that last week because both drivers didn't have Haz Mat. More and more I get phone calls asking if we have a haz mat team if I post the truck on the load board I use. I will even give our drivers the money back after they are with us six months. Some of the longest loads I have hauled was Haz Mat loads. Most of the time it's either Paint or Battery's.

I would say if your getting your Haz Mat, your doing a smart thing.

charlies1gal

Seasoned Expediter
You give yourself an opportunity for more loads with a Hazmat endorsement & can get loads out of places others can't generally....example, Houston, TX. Panther doesn't pay any extra for hazmat loads though whereas Fedex CC does. I hope that helps.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I'm currently studying for the hazmat test but I would like to know what's the % amount of hazmat loads that Panther Expedited Services hauls?

Good luck, it is of course an easy test and there are a lot of easy clues on the answers.

And is it a must to have it if I go into the expedited field?Any inputs would be great.Thanks

Don't know about panther but 100% of my loads are hazmat and it has paid off for me. But then I would have the endorsement anyways, not because of the "loads" or the enhancement that it allegedly gives you (because that idea that the qualifications gets you the work is somewhat of a bunch of BS) but because it is something else I can easily pass while making me a bit more educated about the job I do.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Take the easy way out and regret it later. Or, get your HAZMAT endorsement and be glad you did.

- HAZMAT may get you moving while others sit.

- HAZMAT may make the difference between a long sit or moving earlier.

- The HAZMAT fingerprinting and background check sets you apart from drivers who do not have it, and from the increasing number of those who are unwilling or unable to get it. Even if you never haul a HAZMAT load in your life, the credential signals people who appreciate the signal that you have cleared the background check.

- Knowing HAZMAT increases your industry knowledge. You will understand better what those placarded trucks that you share the road with are doing.

- If you change carriers (a common event in expediting), your options are greater if you have the HAZMAT endorsement and can demonstrate HAZMAT experience.

Layoutshooter spoke of low rates for HAZMAT at his carrier. When we were with that carrier we noticed the same decline and that was a contributing factor in our decision to leave. Low HAZMAT rates are not the case at all carriers. Some of the best paying loads we now haul are HAZMAT.

There are downsides to HAZMAT including the risks presented by the freight itself, additional diligence and compliance requirements when you have a HAZMAT load on, additional expense and effort required to get and maintain your HAZMAT endorsement, and additional training required (and the deadhead and down time to get it) to haul certain kinds of HAZMAT.

In our experience, it was no longer worth the trouble to get that additional training at our former carrier. At our new carrier, we would not dream of being without it.

Bottom line for us. HAZMAT endorsement and additional training is well worth the effort and expense. It's a money maker.