How Far To Far

Jeff35

Seasoned Expediter
How far is to far to dead head to pick up freight with out being paid? Does any one have standards that they go by? Is 100 miles to far?

(For Cargo Van)

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
It all depends, If it 150 miles of deadhead for an 1800 mile load at your regular rate going to an area that you can get a follow up load, then it would be okay

greg334

Veteran Expediter
It is all relative to the load. I have dead headed 600 miles to pick up before and I have never left the parking lot of where I dropped to pick. I look at the overall amount of the offer more than anything else.

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
It is relative to how long one wants to sit waiting for another load as well. I do not get paid to sit.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There's no hard rules to go by, but generally speaking most cargo vans will want to keep their deadhead percent of all miles in the 20-30% range. Less than 20% and you're probably not moving often enough to where the freight is, and more than 30% and you're probably chasing freight and moving when it's not necessary. That, or you're taking too many loads that take you too far away from the freight.

So, using the 20-30% deadhead as a guide, if you get a load offer that is x-loaded miles and x-deadhead, if the deadhead is more than 20% you need to take a close look at where the load is taking you, and will you have a lot of deadhead on the backend, as well.

If you have a 100 mile deadhead and the loaded miles is 300, that's 400 total miles and the 100 DH is 25% of total miles, so that's in the ballpark. But it's not in the ballpark if it takes you to a place where you'll have to deadhead another 100 or 150 miles after you drop off in order to get to the next area for freight.

fastrod

Expert Expediter
My deadhead is always 50% because I deadhead home after every run. All my customers are located within 75 miles of where I live. This system works great because I write my own rate and it is high enough to cover all the deadhead.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Just depends on what the total compensation will be,I one time dead headed 3150 miles,but the load paid 14000 bucks,had total of 5600 total miles,was well worth the dead head,but if load would have canceled ,then it would have been a terrible move

paid vacationer

Seasoned Expediter
I'm trying to think of a (any) reason someone (anyone) would deadhead a TT 3150 miles. Help me understand that one...... Seems like there would have been 1000's of trucks closer. And for that money, any number of trucks with much less deadhead would have jumped all over that load.... weird

Falligator

Expert Expediter
I recently deadheaded from Dallas, Tx to memphis, Tn to wait on a load. Of course; you may get loaded out of Texas and you may not. I think the dh from Texas to Memphis was something over 300. not sure b/c i don't have my Nav unit w/ me. I managed a load once I got to Memphis going to Greensboro, NC for 677 miles. Then didn't move from the cons and p/u a load a few hours after dropping going to Lebanon, NH. Then again....I dh home from NH since It was Friday and usually I do good when in the Northeast, but I was already out for 3 weeks and needed a break. I think the dh home was 612 miles from NH. I'll have to eat that one.:(

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I'm trying to think of a (any) reason someone (anyone) would deadhead a TT 3150 miles. Help me understand that one...... Seems like there would have been 1000's of trucks closer. And for that money, any number of trucks with much less deadhead would have jumped all over that load.... weird
it was a flatbed radioactive move,back in the early 80's there werent many qualified to do these kind of moves for Roberts Express

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
depends where in texas you were,dallas is 460 miles to memphis,not wise for just a 677 mile move

Last edited:

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I feel it depends on the size of the truck. I can move my Van 100 miles for under $20.00, there are many people here where I live that commute over a 100 miles a day round trip to get to work, & there not getting paid for the drive to and from work . Dead Heading is part of the business. It would seem to me it depends on what your expenses are that determine what is reasonable for each vehicle.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
I feel it depends on the size of the truck. I can move my Van 100 miles for under $20.00, there are many people here where I live that commute over a 100 miles a day round trip to get to work, & there not getting paid for the drive to and from work . Dead Heading is part of the business. It would seem to me it depends on what your expenses are that determine what is reasonable for each vehicle.

Excellent point bearcat......hadn't thought of it like that but some of my kids 'dh' pretty far to work and back every day!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Dallas to Dallas, 460 miles. :) Too funny. (Obviously, Dallas to Memphis). Did you know that Brownsville to Brownsville is 788 miles? Ran that one the other day. :p OK, it was a round-tripper. Picked up parts in Brownsville, took them to north of Austin where they machined the parts as I slept, reloaded 3 hours later, and took the parts right back down to Brownsville.

I like it when people DH out of Texas, because, of course, you can't get loaded out of Texas. When you're the only game in town down here, you get stuff, like bonuses. ;) Let's see, this past week I've run a total of 2013 loaded miles, every one of them in Texas. All on less than 100 miles deadhead.

It's reeeaallllly hot down here, tho. And humid. Reminds me of Memphis in August.
Without deadheading there, of course.:D

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
Dallas to Dallas, 460 miles. :) Too funny. (Obviously, Dallas to Memphis). Did you know that Brownsville to Brownsville is 788 miles? Ran that one the other day. :p OK, it was a round-tripper. Picked up parts in Brownsville, took them to north of Austin where they machined the parts as I slept, reloaded 3 hours later, and took the parts right back down to Brownsville.

I like it when people DH out of Texas, because, of course, you can't get loaded out of Texas. When you're the only game in town down here, you get stuff, like bonuses. ;) Let's see, this past week I've run a total of 2013 loaded miles, every one of them in Texas. All on less than 100 miles deadhead.

It's reeeaallllly hot down here, tho. And humid. Reminds me of Memphis in August.
Without deadheading there, of course.:D

That is good if you can get it. I sat for 10 days in Laredo, and did not get a load until I dh to Memphis. Yes I know that is not a good deal. Should I have waited another 10 days?

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I saw that Brownsville to Brownsville for 788 miles on the Panther bid board the other day. I was wondering who ended up with that load and why it showed as that many miles. I just got done fueling in Waco and I'm headed up to KC for a morning drop. It was in the mid 90s yesterday in Laredo, but you know what they say. It's a dry heat. Dry heat is still heat.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That is good if you can get it. I sat for 10 days in Laredo, and did not get a load until I dh to Memphis. Yes I know that is not a good deal. Should I have waited another 10 days?

Another 10 days? Probably not. That's where good communication with your dispatch is important. I woulds think that, at the worst, deadheading to Dallas would have been the way to go, but again each company and where they get freight makes all the difference. If your carrier rarely, or never, gets loads out of Laredo, then don't take a load down to there unless it pays enough to cover the deadhead back out.

Laredo is a place where you can sit for a week, then get a week's worth of loaded miles in one whack. Getting a 1500 mile run on a Friday for Monday delivery will make up for sitting there all week. There are precious few loads that will make up for deadheading to Dallas or Memphis. Even if it's only from Laredo to Dallas, I'd much rather get paid to drive to Dallas than do it on my own dime.

There are exceptions, of course, but as a general rule I won't deadhead in the same direction that paid freight will also take me.

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
Another 10 days? Probably not. That's where good communication with your dispatch is important. I woulds think that, at the worst, deadheading to Dallas would have been the way to go, but again each company and where they get freight makes all the difference. If your carrier rarely, or never, gets loads out of Laredo, then don't take a load down to there unless it pays enough to cover the deadhead back out.

Laredo is a place where you can sit for a week, then get a week's worth of loaded miles in one whack. Getting a 1500 mile run on a Friday for Monday delivery will make up for sitting there all week. There are precious few loads that will make up for deadheading to Dallas or Memphis. Even if it's only from Laredo to Dallas, I'd much rather get paid to drive to Dallas than do it on my own dime.

There are exceptions, of course, but as a general rule I won't deadhead in the same direction that paid freight will also take me.

I hear ya, I always communicate with dispatch. And I did dh to San Antonio waited a day, Dallas waited a couple of days, then Texarkana one day, Little Rock one day then on to W Memphis.

I would rather drive on someone else's dime as well. Hey I am a new guy what do I know?

I would think twice before going to Laredo again.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I saw that Brownsville to Brownsville for 788 miles on the Panther bid board the other day. I was wondering who ended up with that load and why it showed as that many miles. I just got done fueling in Waco and I'm headed up to KC for a morning drop. It was in the mid 90s yesterday in Laredo, but you know what they say. It's a dry heat. Dry heat is still heat.

hehe yeah, but I've experienced 115 temps in Saint George, UT at 15% humidity and wasn't really uncomfortable, until I got to Ft Smith, AR where it was 85 degrees and 90% humidity. :)

I had delivered in Los Indios at around 9AM that day, and headed on over to Brownsville for the 1300 pickup. Got there at 1030 hoping the freight was ready to go. Turns out, it wasn't due to cross the border until after noon. No problem, I waited. Noon came and went, so did 1300. "It's on it's way, should be here an in a hour, or an hour and a half." Yeah, I'll hold my breath.

I got loaded at 2300. Drove up to Jarrell (half way between Austin and Temple) where they worked the parts while I slept, then turned around and went back down and delivered. It ended up paying rather well.