How Far To Far

paid vacationer

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks nightcreature... wasn't doubting you, but man does that sound crazy. Thought you were hauling moon rocks or something. Did you haul that one from SRS...Augusta GA

csands007

Seasoned Expediter
I recently deadheaded from Dallas, Tx to memphis, Tn to wait on a load. Of course; you may get loaded out of Texas and you may not. I think the dh from Texas to Memphis was something over 300. :(

Better add another half trip to that its more like 450 + miles depends where you are at, nothern section might be 445

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am not too bothered by the length of the dead head. If the *all miles* rate is good then I take it. What we seldom do is take a long dead head to a bad freight area. If it were to cancel then we we would stuck. A long dead head to a good area is ok. Then at least you can get loaded quick if it cancels. Layoutshooter

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I saw that Brownsville to Brownsville for 788 miles on the Panther bid board the other day. I was wondering who ended up with that load and why it showed as that many miles. I just got done fueling in Waco and I'm headed up to KC for a morning drop. It was in the mid 90s yesterday in Laredo, but you know what they say. It's a dry heat. Dry heat is still heat.

It will post that way when it is a round trip. Load went 394 miles somewhere and back.

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
Did you know that Brownsville to Brownsville is 788 miles? Ran that one the other day. :p OK, it was a round-tripper. Picked up parts in Brownsville, took them to north of Austin where they machined the parts as I slept, reloaded 3 hours later, and took the parts right back down to Brownsville.

A friend of mine calls 500 mile runs within Texas, Texas minis.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Once DH from Ft. Smith to Memphis (if no freight in Dallas would have done the same). Arrived Mem at 2AM 10AM had a load to Chicago, from their Boston, back to Atlanta very little DH between loads.

Cannot look at or should not consider load by load but Week by Week, better yet Month by Month. I tried keeping ALL DH to 15% for the year, always meet that goal so my ansewr sometimes you just gotta do it. Now my most terrible week, Home of Walmart, to Joplin, KC, St.Louis (load canceled) up to Pontiac Il. What a terrible, rotten week, all that DH and no loads. Still made my goals for the month HOW? You just gotta have faith sometimes. Now let me go take some of my own advice.