How Do You Remove Graffiti From a Truck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Success!!

We tried hair spray this morning. It had a partial effect. Then we tried acetone (fingernail polish remover) as P51bombay recommended.

Acetone worked! And it worked with almost no effort. Wipe it on with a paper towel, rub it around on the surface a little, and quickly clean it off with Windex.

Our problem now is the damaged paint from all the other things we tried and the intense rubbing we did. It is not serious. Someone looking at the truck would have to look carefully to see where the graffiti used to be, but it can be seen. Wanting to keep the truck in like-new condition, we will get it painted when we are near a body shop we trust and have the time.

Had we known about acetone when the graffiti was first applied, I am certain we could have completely removed it with just a few minutes of effort. It is also good news that acetone is inexpensive. At Wal-Mart, a small bottle of 100% acetone costs $0.99. Our truck is now stocked with a supply.

Because taggers use different kinds of pens, markers and paint, I think graffiti wipes would also be a good thing to carry. We will be checking those out when the industrial supply stores open on Tuesday.

Twice before, we have met expediters on the road who had freshly-graffiti'ed trucks. With this new knowledge and supplies on hand, we are now equipped to help ourselves and friends on the road if a graffiti incident occurs.

Thank you, folks, for your help. I am sure this thread will be helpful to others who go online and ask, "How do you remove graffiti from a truck?"

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Clay Bar I am tellin ya its a Breeze this is what any Professional Auto Detail Shop uses and charges Insurance Companies out the Ying Yang for removing overspray when a car is down wind.

It also removes Acid Rain rings, cleans the paint right down to the original clear and waxing after this treatment is a breeze.

Guy told me at a Detail shop he makes more off this process for the time than anything else.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Clay Bar I am tellin ya

Yes, Broompilot, you're telling me (twice). I trust you mean well, but I'm not listening. Don't take it personally. It's just that the situation you describe is not our situation.

Truck bodies are not treated with clear coat like car bodies are; at least ours isn't. I'm not trying to remove paint overspray from the truck (done that before with Goo-Gone). I'm not trying to remove acid rain rings. It's graffiti, probably made by a permanent felt-tip marker. And it's gone. Acetone did the trick.

Last edited:

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Phil, just telling others as well of all of the capibalities of this product. AND YES IT WORKS ON BIG TRUCKS VOLVOS too, since I have one.

If its not original and it gets on your surface this stuff is great and CHEAP. But it has to actually have the Clay bar in the package not the stuff that Walmart sells, theres is good but no Match, I have cleaned a Ford GT with it, a 34 Ford Coupe, Honda Accords, Work trucks with Cement dried to the paint its really Majic compared to compounds or Goof Off and they work.

But hey Phil, I understand I am just an idiot compared to your high IQ. Sorry for offering advice but in the previous post, you were having difficulty. NOT I, on this subject. Remember Phil 14 years in the cleaning business or did you forget about the Interview? See I stick with something as compared to your greatness of holding a position in everything from Stock Broker, to Camp Ground Host and everything else in between.

No wonder you posted wanting everyone to pat ya on the back for 5 years this has got to be the longest employment stint in your life. Oh go ahead tell us all about your Resume and all your success in life, Gee were all so impressed to have you here and benefit from all your greatness compared to our measaly ventures out here.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Dang, Broom. We are talking about a clay bar here, not the core of your being. Lighten up.

Reactions: 1 person

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Phil

Use some GoJo it works wonders on markings and will remove it without messing up your paint job. I have had to use it many times. Sorry to hear about your truck.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We finally got to a Fastenal store to purchase the graffiti wipes recommended above. They come in a canister and will be easy to carry in the truck. Next time we get tagged, or meet someone who did, we will be ready with these wipes and a bottle of acetone (fingernail polish remover available at Wal-Mart, Target, etc).

The Fastenal product number is 0303119. It is featured on the Fastenal web site.

Thanks again for all the good ideas shared here. I am sure other people, including non-expediters, have benefited from the thread.

Last edited:

finbar73

Seasoned Expediter
Our truck was tagged today. After leaving a shipper in Los Angeles, we saw it. Graffiti is on the passenger side sleeper wall and truck body. It appears to be made with a black felt-tip marker.

Under load and not wanting to stop for any length of time, I tried to get it off at a fuel stop, using Goo Gone we carry in the truck. It had no effect. The truck stop had nothing on the shelf that would do any good.

Does anyone know of a good graffiti removal product or technique?
obviously never apply anything direct but what has worked for me actually is bug repelent in a squirt bottle not can bottle has higher deet count.Tricks from the bush

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Im with Leo on this one shoot the sob lol or if you can catch him/her hold the little turd down and paint them and make they stay put until it drys. I am so sick and tired of punks that think they have a right to deface someone elses property

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
HolyNecropostingBatman.jpg

it would not be so bad if the thread was not 8 months old

guido4475

Not a Member
Phil, just telling others as well of all of the capibalities of this product. AND YES IT WORKS ON BIG TRUCKS VOLVOS too, since I have one.

If its not original and it gets on your surface this stuff is great and CHEAP. But it has to actually have the Clay bar in the package not the stuff that Walmart sells, theres is good but no Match, I have cleaned a Ford GT with it, a 34 Ford Coupe, Honda Accords, Work trucks with Cement dried to the paint its really Majic compared to compounds or Goof Off and they work.

But hey Phil, I understand I am just an idiot compared to your high IQ. Sorry for offering advice but in the previous post, you were having difficulty. NOT I, on this subject. Remember Phil 14 years in the cleaning business or did you forget about the Interview? See I stick with something as compared to your greatness of holding a position in everything from Stock Broker, to Camp Ground Host and everything else in between.

No wonder you posted wanting everyone to pat ya on the back for 5 years this has got to be the longest employment stint in your life. Oh go ahead tell us all about your Resume and all your success in life, Gee were all so impressed to have you here and benefit from all your greatness compared to our measaly ventures out here.

Broompilot, put a leash on that dog. You mentioned it had worked on Volvos, and that you had one also. Well, that's all good, but when did Volvo start making cargo boxes? That is what Phil has been talking about, for the most part.As far as I know,different cargo box/sleeper/truck manufacturers use different paint,I may be wrong.What ARI uses is not necessarily what Morgon may use.I myself have had great success with starting fluid and carb cleaner.
as far as the personal attacks on Phil, that wasnt called for, time to grow up. Anger management may be in order here.

wellarmed

Not a Member
I know oven cleaner works to remove painted lettering but never tried it on spray paint, just be sure to rewax the area you use the oven cleaner on because it also strips the wax.

Dreammaker

Seasoned Expediter
Phil I sent you an pm.

I'll tell everyone else a short version of what I told Phil. If you get graffiti on your truck and don't have the time and resources to take it off right then try to cover it with something like a posterboard and tape. I got shot at one night in Chicago while driving for CR England just because a gang had tagged the trailer and I drove on a rival gangs turf. Those people don't think they just shoot. I don't want to hear of anyone being injured or loosing their life to someone's ignorance.

You have a Chicago story also. Seems the longer you stay in this business the more Chicago stories you hear. I slept through getting robbed at the old TA just south of Chicago. Was parked 4 trucks from the security guard in the "secure" parking lot. The cop who investigated said it happens all the time. He said if I would have woken up the guy would have slit my throat. Got a dog the next week. He's been a truck puppy for 14 years. Haven't had a problem since he's been in the truck.

As to grafitti removers. Here's the stuff the professionals use:
http://www.parish-supply.com/graffiti_removers.htm.

Last edited:

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Phil,

I'm sorry to hear of this. Can you upload a picture?

I would hire Leo - to ride shotgun next time you're in LA.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Thank you for installing Chillout and the Spam Decimator Version 1.5.

I am wondering Lawrence have you thought of locking the threads after 30/60/90 days to prevent this type of scraping and spamming of the site?

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Thank you for installing Chillout and the Spam Decimator Version 1.5.

I am wondering Lawrence have you thought of locking the threads after 30/60/90 days to prevent this type of scraping and spamming of the site?

Thanks Greg. We have some new updates we are working on now. That should help with 90 day old posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.