"How can I kill this man?"

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
GOTCHA! There are about as many translations of the books inn the bible as there are pages in them.

Yes indeed you certainly GOTCHA'd me. Sometimes I forget why I don't post very often in the Soapbox forum. Thanks for the reality check. I needed it!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes indeed you certainly GOTCHA'd me. Sometimes I forget why I don't post very often in the Soapbox forum. Thanks for the reality check. I needed it!

Just letting you know that I understood your meaning. I can be a bit slow on the uptake at times.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you go back to the original Hebrew I believe you do get the word murder, not kill.

I agree! Murder is a more ambiguous word than kill. Murder, as defined in the Merriam On-Line Dictionary is: The unlawful killing, with malice a foreskin of another human, and generally this state of mind distinguishes murder from other forms of unlawful homicide (such as manslaughter).

Personally I like a little wiggle room when it comes to defining the ending of someone's life.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just letting you know that I understood your meaning. I can be a bit slow on the uptake at times.

Joe, when it comes to discussing this particular topic, I don't think we are even in the same solar system. Mostly it is my fault. I tend to use sarcasm, irony, understatement, satire and general weirdness to express my ideas. I do this for my own sick amusement, but also there are some here that understand and even enjoy this.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Joe, when it comes to discussing this particular topic, I don't think we are even in the same solar system. Mostly it is my fault. I tend to use sarcasm, irony, understatement, satire and general weirdness to express my ideas. I do this for my own sick amusement, but also there are some here that understand and even enjoy this.

OK, then I don't understand. That's OK, then ignore everything I said. Different solar systems are allowed. I am SO confused. :confused:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
If you go back to the original Hebrew I believe you do get the word murder, not kill. There was a radio program a few weeks ago discussing that but I can't remember the details now.
No - if you go back to the original Hebrew what you get is ratsach ....

Murder is about as close as one can come in English, in a single word definition/translation - but as the word (murder) is commonly understood today in contemporary society, it is woefully inadequate.

For example, if one were to fail to give charity to another in need of it (clothing, food, shelter, etc.) and as a consequence of your failure to provide help, that individual died, then one would be guilty (of ratsach or murder)

Ratsach

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What is boils down to is that there is no absolute prohibition to 'killing' in the Sixth Commandment. Only a prohibition against 'unjust killing'.

There is also no biblical 'requirement' to forgive everyone for everything.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
On 'forgiveness', I was under the impression that Jesus did NOT say to 'forgive' every thing and every one.
He didn't ?

I am wrong?
That's for you yourself to determine.

Where not his words on this along these lines? "Who's sins you shall forgive are forgiven and who's sins you shall retain are retained" I may not have the quote exactly as translated but it is close.
It's close.

Those words were spoken to the disciples after He had arisen and appeared to them (John Chapter 20) .... and to me, appear to be in specific reference to charging them with the work they were about to undertake in their ministries of spreading the gospel.

19 Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.

20 And when he had so said, he shewed unto them his hands and his side. Then were the disciples glad, when they saw the LORD.

21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.

22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:

23 Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

There were also many other things that He said with respect to forgiveness. One (IMHO) must consider the totality, each in it's own context, to have full understanding.

What about the idea that evil only has power when good men stand by and do nothing to stop it?
What about it ?

And what about this ? (Matthew Chapter 5, The Sermon On The Mount):

38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:

39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also.

41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.

42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.

43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.

44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?

47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?

48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When man loses or prohibits the confrontation of evil, by violence if needed, only evil will prevail.

Example: Zero tolerance policies in schools in regards to violence. Have those polices ended school violence? I contend that they have not only NOT ended it they are a contributing factor in the increase of 'extreme bullying'.

There is nothing wrong with standing up to a bully, punching him/her/it in the nose if needed. Children are being taught to do 'nothing'. They are being taught to become victims. Just as in the bigger world, the schools cannot police everything and anything. In the end, it is the responsibility of each individual to protect and defend themselves.

It is the responsibility of good men to insure that innocence is protected. Good men must insure that the most vulnerable members of society, our children, are protected from harm. That protection must be carried out until each person is able to do so themselves.

It is impossible for the police and the courts to insure that children are not molested or raped. That is a fact. It is my belief that many in our 'justice system' do not want to protect children. The release of 'baby diddlers' back into society is proof in my mind. Allowing these disgusting people to have contact with children in any way, shape or form is, in my mind, a criminal act.

There are unforgivable sins. There are unrepentant people not worthy of forgiveness. To stand by and do nothing and allow a child to be molested or raped is as vile a crime as the act itself.

Protection orders are nothing more that pieces of paper and, for the most part, worthless. NO piece of paper, regardless of what is written on it, has every prevented a rape or murder.

It is ultimate responsibility of each individual to insure their own safety and the use of deadly force to do so is not wrong. When the potential victim is a child it is everyone's responsibility to insure their safety and innocence.

There is no greater sin than allowing a child to be harmed by standing by and doing nothing, for what ever reason.

Evil only has power when good men stand by and do nothing. Evil is becoming more powerful with each passing day. Good men are doing nothing.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Murder, as defined in the Merriam On-Line Dictionary is: The unlawful killing, with malice a foreskin of another human,

I thought someone would have had some fun with this one by now, but side no one has...

"Malice a foreskin?"

--

You know the problem with bad cops? They make the other 5% look bad.

Last edited:

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Those words were spoken to the disciples after He had arisen and appeared to them (John Chapter 20) .... and to me, appear to be in specific reference to charging them with the work they were about to undertake in their ministries of spreading the gospel.

19 Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.

20 And when he had so said, he shewed unto them his hands and his side. Then were the disciples glad, when they saw the LORD.

21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.

22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:

23 Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

He said that to them collectively, as the Church. Individuals may not fail to forgive. The Bible says that if you do not forgive, God will not forgive your sins. The Church may retain sins.

--

Last edited:

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
There is nothing wrong with standing up to a bully, punching him/her/it in the nose if needed.

As Ecclesiastes says, There's a time and place for everything" (paraphrased into modern English). That would apparently include a knuckle sammich.
There are unforgivable sins.

One, according to scripture, and that's blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, which is something out of man's jurisdiction, anyway.

On an early episode of Cops, a cop was arresting someone at Mardis Gras when the camera picked up the sound of a breaking bottle. The cop turned and saw what was going on, told the guy he was about to arrest that he could go, and went directly across the street and jacked up a different guy. The sound of the bottle breaking was because that guy had thrown a bottle at the cop while he was arresting the first guy. The guy's defense? "It's Mardis Gras, man." When the cop didn't let him go, he apologized to the cop. The cop said, "I forgive you. You're still under arrest."

--

Last edited:

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
You have to realise "context" is king when interpreting documents. Part of context is figuring out what something meant to the author.

In New Testement context, felons were routinly put to death so unlike today there wasn't a lot of "carreer" criminals, they were killed when they were caught.

In context, it should be CLEAR Jesus is speaking of petty things, walk an extra mile, agree quickly before it goes to court, turn the other cheek if slapped. What is as important as the things that are said are the things that aren't said, notice Jesus didn't say "If your wife is raped, give the rapist your daughter as well"

Jesus never gave an admonition to ignore capitol offenses, or to let evil prosper. To take his words and divorce them from the context of his times, and the complete teaching of scripture is an injustice.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using EO Forums

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I thought someone would have had some fun with this one by now, but side no one has...

"Malice a foreskin?"

--

I thought about it, but decieded better not. :eek:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I thought someone would have had some fun with this one by now, but side no one has... "Malice a foreskin?"

Thanks for noticing that AMonger! Even though much of what I write is for my own sick amusement, it is gratifying to see someone reads the stupid crap I post. For those that missed it, it should read: Malice, aforethought.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I just think it's wonderful that something as clear cut (a Moot reference) and unambiguous as the Ten Commandments can also be interpreted by so many people to mean so many things, to suit their needs. It's a downright timeless miracle, is what it is!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Christians are followers of Jesus Christ. If you look real close at the word Christian, you should be able to see the word Christ, with an ian tacked on. Jesus was a pacifist. A live and let live, turn the other cheek dude. He wasn't in to that eye for an eye Old Testament retribution stuff.

Look what happened in the Garden of Gethsemane 2000 plus years ago. An angry mob accosted him and he went willingly. He was ridiculed, humiliated, tortured and finally nailed to a cross and left to die. At any point he could have called upon God to turn his tormentors into wheel chocks and end his agony. But he didn't. After spending 3 days being dead, in a dank, dark cave, he arose from the dead. One would think he'd be plenty po'd after all that, but he wasn't. He forgave his persecutors, scared the crap out of his disciples and pretty much went about his business like it never happened.