Honor

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You are making a big stink about Osteen and then you say you have no problem with people giving at their local church. I don't promote Osteen or even think he's necessarily on the right track but that's one opinion. The point is you have Oak Village Church or whatever church you want to make up with 430 members and a contribution amount you apparently approve of, maybe $1400 a week. Osteen has 100 times that many members. If they are all equivalently generous the contribution will be 100 times higher, $140,000. Multiply by 52 weeks and it adds up. You focus only on the total and not on the fact nobody is doing anything any differently than any other church members in any other church.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The pictures are the truth though...what one is a lie..
The pictures are opinion, not truth. The picture of the Pope, for example, while not an outright lie, is incredibly misleading, likely because the moron who created that particular meme doesn't know what he's talking about.

But be that as it may, my characterization of why you posted those pictures stand, as they denigrate what people do within their religion and have nothing to do with what they do out in society, much less support the notion that churches be taxed. Your wish for them to be taxed is an emotional one, supported by emotional position born of hatred towards them and wanting to punish them for what they believe. You can disingenuously retort that if they didn't try to get you to abide by their wishes you'd be fine with then, yet you are hammering them for what they do inside their religion. Same weak tea.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
You are making a big stink about Osteen and then you say you have no problem with people giving at their local church. I don't promote Osteen or even think he's necessarily on the right track but that's one opinion. The point is you have Oak Village Church or whatever church you want to make up with 430 members and a contribution amount you apparently approve of, maybe $1400 a week. Osteen has 100 times that many members. If they are all equivalently generous the contribution will be 100 times higher, $140,000. Multiply by 52 weeks and it adds up. You focus only on the total and not on the fact nobody is doing anything any differently than any other church members in any other church.

Why does he have to pocket it all thought a man of god was to help his people. .not build mansions ..

There's a BIG difference from your local Baptist minister who has a small modest salary ..to dedicate is life to the teachings of god..though I don't agree with his religion ..I can respect his sacrifice and dedication to the job at hand..

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. .

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If one is worried about "bambooziling" people I would look no farther than our federal government. Religion of any type doesn't even come close. That is where I would put the focus if one is concerned.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Osteen has 100 times that many members. If they are all equivalently generous the contribution will be 100 times higher, $140,000. Multiply by 52 weeks and it adds up. You focus only on the total and not on the fact nobody is doing anything any differently than any other church members in any other church.

Looks like a lot more then that. Easy come, Easy go...:rolleyes:

On Sunday Lakewood Church in Texas was robbed of a total of $600K. This was not an electronic data breach but was limited to donations received during services that day. The monies were fully insured and the church is working with their insurance company to restore the funds Lakewood Church.
Read more at Joel Osteen?s Lakewood Church Robbed $600K

Another source states it was over two days (Saturday, March 9 and Sunday March 10). Either way, not a bad weekend considering that's just from the people who attend. I heard attendance was down that weekend due to inclement weather :rolleyes: