Honda Generators

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Cheri, if you can get the boss to go for it, you might look at the 3000 Honda....you will have no issues at all running anything you want. If it weren't for size, I'd have the 3000 Honda with the remote start.....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Cheri, if you can get the boss to go for it, you might look at the 3000 Honda....you will have no issues at all running anything you want. If it weren't for size, I'd have the 3000 Honda with the remote start.....

unless permanently mounted that would be too heavy for Cheri....

RDC

Expert Expediter
what kind of ac would u guys recommend for plugging into the Honda unit?....also where do u put a generator of that size in a CV? apprec. ur help.

dotcommark

Seasoned Expediter
Besides the Honda, what else have you all had luck with? Looking to cool a cargo van and run laptop, etc...
I've seen some on walmart's site, think they were called generac or something along that line for about 500 bucks. I'm not familiar with that brand though.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
I have a honda 2000i also I run a coleman polar cub 9000 btu unit with no problem. I would like to know what you guys do about the gas smell. I can't take any food grade loads because I store the gen in the back of the van and even with the vent closed it still puts off a smell. So how do you van guys handle this problem?? I have lost loads due to showing up and the shipper refusing to load me because of the fumes. And personally I don't think it smells to bad back there. But I see where they are coming from.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a honda 2000i also I run a coleman polar cub 9000 btu unit with no problem. I would like to know what you guys do about the gas smell. I can't take any food grade loads because I store the gen in the back of the van and even with the vent closed it still puts off a smell. So how do you van guys handle this problem?? I have lost loads due to showing up and the shipper refusing to load me because of the fumes. And personally I don't think it smells to bad back there. But I see where they are coming from.

I guess the smell of my cigs is worse then the fumes...I don't and any food grade customer has never said a word....
But I also cover the gen and can with a blanket before I arrive...sometimes I think if they see, the nose goes into overdrive...

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
gas fumes are only an issue when the tank on the generator is filled completely full and then when it gets hot the gas expands and overflows the clossed loop vent system. So i never fill it even close to full. I also carry a 6 gallon extended run gas tank that will expand when hot, again, i don't fill it completely so no expansion of enough to be an issue. I also carry a 2 gallon gas can. all are in open plain sight. No fumes unless i screw up and over fill any of them.

As for "food quality" loads, I am on one right now. The shipping manager looked in my van to make sure there were no pets or any other thing that would not let his guys load me. He seen the generator and gas tank and cans and even the 20 lb propane tank sitting in the rt rear corner. He even asked about the generator and howw it work and price, he is in the market for one....I have never lost a load because of the generator, gas tank, can or the propane i carry all the time....

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
gas fumes are only an issue when the tank on the generator is filled completely full and then when it gets hot the gas expands and overflows the clossed loop vent system. So i never fill it even close to full. I also carry a 6 gallon extended run gas tank that will expand when hot, again, i don't fill it completely so no expansion of enough to be an issue. I also carry a 2 gallon gas can. all are in open plain sight. No fumes unless i screw up and over fill any of them.

As for "food quality" loads, I am on one right now. The shipping manager looked in my van to make sure there were no pets or any other thing that would not let his guys load me. I seen the generator and gas tank and cans and even the 20 lb propane tank sitting in the rt rear corner. He even asked about the generator and howw it work and price, he is in the market for one....I have never lost a load because of the generator, gas tank, can or the propane i carry all the time....

Correct...overfilling causes excessive fumes...

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I also carry at any given time, 7 qts of syn motor oil, transmission fluid, a gallon of 50/50 pre-mix anti freeze , washer fluid and an assortment of cleaning chemicals...all for the most part in plain sight....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I also carry at any given time, 7 qts of syn motor oil, transmission fluid, a gallon of 50/50 pre-mix anti freeze , washer fluid and an assortment of cleaning chemicals...all for the most part in plain sight....

You've just been lucky Dennis....like me....sometimes they do one of them crackdowns and I've heard of loads being lost...it does happen...

60MPH

Expert Expediter

I carry all that too but it is hidden. I have lost two loads because they saw the generator then complained about the smell. As OVM said there noses must of went into overdrive. Funny thing was 1 of the loads was Gatorade flavoring. I have hauled it before and after 500 miles it smells worse than gas fumes in the back of the van. Go figure:rolleyes:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I carry all that too but it is hidden. I have lost two loads because they saw the generator then complained about the smell. As OVM said there noses must of went into overdrive. Funny thing was 1 of the loads was Gatorade flavoring. I have hauled it before and after 500 miles it smells worse than gas fumes in the back of the van. Go figure:rolleyes:

Did you do the Atlanta to Kissamee Fl. gigg?

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If your van smells like gasoline you should not be hauling food grade loads. That's just my two cents. Like I said before in other posts (it only takes one bad driver or partner carrier to cause a broker to lose an account)! Why would you bid on a food grade load if you know that your equipment is not food grade worthy?

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Because as you know Blizzard they do not always list the load as food grade. You find out when you get there that it is food grade.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'm just messing with ya man. I know how sensative these loads are. What is food grade any how? Cargo vans are not reefers and we do haul nasty automotive tubs that leak that smell of grease from time to time. What do these companies expect a golden sprinter with an floor that smells like bleach and 409? It's ridiculous. If you want food grade or whatever "pony up the money and put the freaking load on a reefer truck!" Shippers want to be all cheap, have the freaight hauld for nothing, delivered early, and have a clean truck. It's bs man.