Honda Generators

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Im hoping soon ill be buying a 1500 watt roof top ac with heat pump and a honda 3,000 watt gen. would this be too much gen. I would like to buy a sprinter bumper guard and mount the gen in the front. I would like to here what yall think?

Only thing I would be concerned about is blocking the radiator and tranny cooler..

guido4475

Not a Member
Cheapest I have seen for a Honda generator of any size is rvpartscountry.com Unless someone knows of a cheaper place. Go with the 15,000 btu a/c and a eu3000 honda. You'll be glad you did.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Thanks everyone for your responses. I got thinking about the rooftop ac and I think its eaither 13,500 btu or 15,000 btu. I cant remember. I see everyones point on mounting it in the front, who has there mounted in the front and have you had any trouble with the engine? Im seeing more sprinter people doing that.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
For a 15000 btu roof air that's about right gen wise. If you insulate well 15000 might be overkill but better to big than too small. I think i am going with 11500 and a 2000 watt genny unless i go with the yamaha 2400.

I have heard the heat pumps aren't that great but have no personal experience with them.

Yea xiggi, ive heard the same thing about the heat pump. I tried the big buddy heater and I didnt like the smell with the propane and that being on my clothes and bedding. Even with the windows crack. I just insulated the van and with the heat pump and my mummy sleeping bag, I should be pretty warm.

terrylee

Active Expediter
Wel-l-l, I don't really want to put the gen. on the back door. I've seen vans with some sort of carrier ..it's not a grill guard, but a carrier on the front that only goes less than half way across. I don't know what to call these things. I want one of those to carry my gen in. I saw one of these the other day and the fella had his gen and all sorts of stuff in the carrier. Looked very cool. What are they and where to buy them? I like the idea of installing a home ac in bulkhead.

guido4475

Not a Member
Only thing I would be concerned about is blocking the radiator and tranny cooler..

No change in operating temperature on my Ford. Runs strong as usual, with the generator on the front. I do, however, love Rocketman's setup. Real nice, and done right.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think most cooling done today is from air being drawn up from underneath.

and unless you are using an active scan gauge on the ECM you wouldn't notice a mere 10 degree increase on your dashboard readout....but over time your engine would...
that and you are running around with extra weight on the front suspension....todays vehicles the tolerances can be very tight...any extra weight it is not designed for, could be a problem

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Im not sue an extra 150 lbs on the front of a splinter would matter. Weight changes all the time between cargo and fuel. And it does change the front.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Im not sue an extra 150 lbs on the front of a splinter would matter. Weight changes all the time between cargo and fuel. And it does change the front.

well 400 lbs does....ask Turtle...he has the numbers over the years...left side repairs vs right side...i was surprised myself...

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think that can be a reason not to go overkill on but also.on a sprinter,insulate well go with a smaller roof unit and gen. Saves on weight and gen fuel costs. No offense to guide but in our case 1500 and 3000 might be over doing it. Like to hear some people already setup sprinter wise weigh in.

What is overtime? Parts are gonna wear overtime regardless.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think that can be a reason not to go overkill on but also.on a sprinter,insulate well go with a smaller roof unit and gen. Saves on weight and gen fuel costs. No offense to guide but in our case 1500 and 3000 might be over doing it. Like to hear some people already setup sprinter wise weigh in.

What is overtime? Parts are gonna wear overtime regardless.

everyone has a different comfort level....hard to say...

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If done Right the front mount gen. setup looks O K, but should be setup so its off-center to allow max air flow and access to your engine. .... also I 've only seen a few that Look Good , most are shabby looking......alot of you complain about the New Dodges looks ....but yet mount an Ugly generator up front and cut a hole in van an stick an AC unit out.....lol