Holy batcrap, Batman! How much?

Monty

Expert Expediter
Since I have decided to retain the van, thought I might as well do some preventive maintainance work on it .....

So I merrily call my friendly Freightliner dealer for a price on 4 new shocks, installed.

After the call was finished ... the smile had disappeared.

$800.00 for parts, 4.5 hours of labor, and an alignment for the rack and pinion .....

Looking a bill around $1200.00 ... for shocks! And you can't buy them at NAPA! (Well ya can, but they are same price .. and they don't have the rear ones)

btw ... if ya ever need a U-joint ... $1500.00 ... because ya buy the complete driveline!

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Not sure how different it is from our 06, but Nick has changed the shocks on our van twice himself. It only takes about an hour. We have ordered them through Oriely's. They have a warranty on them so we change them out once a year and just swap them out.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Since I have decided to retain the van, thought I might as well do some preventive maintainance work on it .....

So I merrily call my friendly Freightliner dealer for a price on 4 new shocks, installed.

After the call was finished ... the smile had disappeared.

$800.00 for parts, 4.5 hours of labor, and an alignment for the rack and pinion .....

Looking a bill around $1200.00 ... for shocks! And you can't buy them at NAPA! (Well ya can, but they are same price .. and they don't have the rear ones)

btw ... if ya ever need a U-joint ... $1500.00 ... because ya buy the complete driveline!

BUT IT'S A SPRINTER! Everybody loves a Sprinter. LOL! Sorry had to say it.;)

Monty

Expert Expediter
I checked .... not for a 2008 model .... Monroe makes them, but the only outlet, apparently, is Sprinter! ..... communist's! ;)

zorry

Veteran Expediter
My father used to say "It only costs 10% more to go first class." guess that saying is as out of date as he is.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No more Sprinters. Ever. Everything on these machines costs three times more than it should, parts can be remarkably harder to get, and if you have to have it repaired instead of doing it yourself (some jobs really can't be done DIY) you quickly find there's few mechanics who will touch a Sprinter.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Koni fronts are $183.95 each, and rears are $135.95 each, from Summit Racing. That's $639.80 for discounted Konis. Dealer list for both the OEM Sachs and Bilsteins are $258 front, and is $326.90 for the OEM KYB shocks. Dealer list for the rears for the OEMS are in the $132 range.

$800 from a Freightliner dealer isn't too bad if they are using OEM shocks (considering a Freightliner dealer's bread and butter is overcharging everyone for everything). But you can get better pricing on the OEM stuff from Europarts.

I have found that nearly every part for a Sprinter can be bought at either Europarts, RockAuto, Autozone, or Berry Dodge. Often the OEM parts can be had cheaper from Europarts than a dealer pays for them, because MB (and Mopar to a degree) is really sticking it to the former Dodge Sprinter dealers.

AC Compressor, Denso OEM, dealer list is $1295. That's what you'll pay at any Freightliner dealer and most Dodge and MB dealers. Denso OEM Aftermarket unit is $279. Same unit, different box.

Power Steering pump. $513 list, $409 at Berry, $306 at Europarts (02-06 models). Way cheaper alternatives at RockAuto, as well.

Just depends on how proactive you want to be.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think I remember reading that it's possible to replace the driveshaft with one that allows you to change the u-joints.

tbcabs

Seasoned Expediter
You can but an after market driveshaft with replaceable u joint and you can get you shock at advance auto parts online

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For you old folks like me, as Dinah Shore sang..."Seeeeee The World Today in a Chevrolet....." :D

At least, in these older Chevies, you can get parts and if it has to go to a mechanic you just have to find an honest one. Most any mechanic will work on Chevies and Fords.

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
This is what scares me more and more about a sprinter. I drive one now that I could possibly might be buying in the early summer and reading things like this makes me not even wanna touch one and another thing that scares me is all the diesel emissions involved with the sprinter. My opinion something similar to the cargomaxx even though dont get good gas mileage would be a better fit than a sprinter. Alot cheaper on maintence and can find 90% of the parts at any local autozone or advanced auto parts etc and haul more freight.