Hit Any Key!

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Help.

My PC froze up - it says to hit the any button but I can't find it. I see F1 all the way to F12 - just no any button. :p

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

T.V. - Why do you think they call it programming?

No, YOU suck. - the mean people

"Americans are benevolently ignorant about Canada, while Canadians are malevolently well informed about the United States." - J. Bartlett Brebner

Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure. - I can't hear you. I have a banana in my ear.

Become who you are. - Nietzsche

Whoever coined the phrase "Quiet as a mouse" has never stepped on one.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!

http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Lawrence, they aren't very clear on those instruction. First you hit the A, then the N and finish by hitting the Y. It works best with the proper tools, like this. http://tinyurl.com/kbyod You can also use a geologists hammer. If maximum precision isn't mandatory some people find more satisfaction with this. http://tinyurl.com/hdgxn It's like your dad always told you growing up. Have the right tool for the job. :+

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
If you ever wonder what help desk h*ll is like for computer professionals, imagine questions like this being asked 70% of the time during your shift.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
In a distantly previous lifetime I was a master console operator on a 3090 system for a software development company. I got a call one day from another employee. His screen was blank and he couldn't get it to do anything. It was fine before lunch. I checked his terminal ID and it was linked to the system and showing no problems. I asked if it was possible something snagged the power cord and pulled it out. He told me he rearranged his office during his lunch break and everything was plugged in except the one cord too short to reach in the new configuration. Almost 20 years later I still can't figure out how a guy can write operating system programs and not think it's important for every cable to be plugged in. We had times where one joker would unplug somebody else's equipment or would go to the user's with multiple terminals and swap wires so they were working on the opposite system they thought they were but this goober unplugged it himself!

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
last week while shutting down i was trying to back up the large ss i was working on to the thumb drive. as i click and dragged to the usb memory stick the words ss write protected came up and the transfer stumbled. huh i thought . i didn't write protect it. so i try to shut down and the image of that ss is on the screen. i sit and stare and after a couple minutes the screen is blue. just blue. uh oh, blue screen of death me thinks. i press the start button on the pc. noithing. i press again. nothing. its 505 and the help desk in calgary is gone. i work in wisconsin. well there is always tomorrow.

next day i walk in and the screen is still blue. call the helpdesk and explained i had the blue screen of death. we chat. hold the power button in for 10 seconds he says. yes you know what happened. it came to life. ooops.

Jack Berry

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
One of the first things I did when I got a computer in 1989, was read the manual. I laughed when I read that people who call for help on a problem that's addressed in the manual are called "RYFMs" as in: Read Your F****n Manual"!
But none of my problems are in the manual, cause they're usually a lot like Lawrence's...:+ Today, I clicked on "Make Google news your homepage" 3 different times, on my laptop, but it didn't comply - now what?
And - is there any way to eliminate some of the toolbars across the top of the screen? The part I want to read starts around the middle of the screen, making for a lot of scrolling.
Thanks for any suggestions, besides RYFM...:+

ATeam

Retired Expediter
... I still can't figure out how a guy can write operating
>system programs and not think it's important for every cable
>to be plugged in. We had times where one joker would unplug
>somebody else's equipment or would go to the user's with
>multiple terminals and swap wires so they were working on
>the opposite system they thought they were but this
>goober unplugged it himself!

We once did a WG load where we moved a computer server from one medical clinic to another a few miles away. The pre-planned and carefully-scheduled job was important enough to the powers that be that an observer was sent hundreds of miles to watch us work.

We arrived at the Baton Rouge clinic where the shipper and observer were waiting. Politely explaining to the patients why we had to rearrange the furniture in the waiting room (and the patients) to make room, we wheeled the item out the door, down the sidewalk and onto our waiting liftgate. We loaded and secured it, and transported it to the delivery.

When we arrived there a few minutes later, it was pouring rain. We took out a blue plastic tarp we carry for such days, wrapped the item with it, lift-gated it down onto the street, wheeled it to the curb cut and inside the building. We then continued to wheel it down a seemingly endless maze of hallways and corners.

Finally, the shipper, observer, and now the consignee pointed to the room where the item would go. We removed the wet tarp and placed the machine in its assigned place. Just as we got the signatures and gathered up our gear, a distressed look came over all three men's faces. One of them was holding the power cord in his hand but there was no special plug in the room that matched the cord.

Having done our job and not wanting to be anywhere near the conversation that was going to happen next, we quickly and quietly exited the room, leaving those three to enjoy the rest of their day.

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
"To start press any key. (reading screen) Where's the "any" key? I see Esc, Catarl, and Pig Up. There doesn't seem to be any "any" key. Wo! All this computer hacking is making me thirsty. I think I'll order a Tab. (presses TAB key). OOh no time for that now the computers starting" ~Homer Simpson