Historic Shell Gas Station

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
That is a cool pictures and I as well would like to see this. The first link you posted does not work or maybe it is me....

matlack

Expert Expediter

Attachments

• 7234_100119746676056_100000340920904_480_5007218_n.jpg
    7234_100119746676056_100000340920904_480_5007218_n.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 76

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Cool!! I am on my way to Charlotte NC for a Sunday morning drop and will have the rest of the day free...W-S isn't far so just maybe...

If I ever figure out how to get pictures from my phone to the computer, I have a few of the 1st Phillips 66 gas station opened in McLean Tx and another old Sinclair outside of Tucumcari NM and another one somewhere along RT66 that was the basis for Flo's Fuel Stop in the disney movie Cars...

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Dennis: try typing your email addy in the phone & send the pics as text [or multimedia] msgs. Once they arrive in the mail, you can copy/move them.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Cheri...now lets see if I can get a few of them up here..

Ok if this works, there is a picture of the 1st Phillips 66 gas station opened..it is in Mc Lean tx and another picture of a Texico Station built in the 30's in Tucumcari NM...

Here goes...

Attachments

• 1st Phillips 66 Gas Station in McLean TX..jpg
    1st Phillips 66 Gas Station in McLean TX..jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Texico Gas Station Tucumcari NM.jpg
    Texico Gas Station Tucumcari NM.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 17

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Ok lets see if i can do this again...As I have mentioned a few times, when I get out west and get a long weekend run back ease, I like to run old Rt 66 and see as many of the old towns as I can...here are a few pictures from along the "Mother Road"...1 or 2 of them, I am sure most have seen as they traveled west, maybe even all of them.

The picture of the Water tower, I am real sure alot of you have seen. It is lettered at Britten, USA, BUT, it is really in Groom Tx..the town of Groom is over run with the Britton family and they are the ones that had it put up...I don't know for sure, and I have never figured it out, but I have heard it said that Groom is the Half way point on Rt 66...

The 1 cell jail is on Rt 66 in ill as is the famous "Rocket Man" that is the mascot for the Launching Pad Resturant. The Gas station, I forgot where I took it...

Attachments

• Rt 66 Gas Station.jpg
    Rt 66 Gas Station.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 1 cell jail on Rt 66 in Ill.jpg
    1 cell jail on Rt 66 in Ill.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Famous Lauching Pad Resturant on Rt 66 in Ill.jpg
    Famous Lauching Pad Resturant on Rt 66 in Ill.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Leaning Water Tower in Groom Tx.jpg
    Leaning Water Tower in Groom Tx.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You're very welcome - I like pictures from the road.
Wish I'd taken one of the water tower that says "Deport Texas" - without the comma, I thought it was a suggestion, lol. :D

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Vandals struck the Virginia, Minnesota water tower changing the name from the "Queen City" to...
VirginiaWatertower.jpg

matlack

Expert Expediter

At least the water tower still says Virginia instead of the like the misspelled W.VA Basketball team's NIT champion shirts a few years ago.

There is also a Middlesex, Climax and Virginville as well as Intercourse PA.

2278d1298748402-historic-shell-gas-station-7234_100119746676056_100000340920904_480_5007218_n.jpg

Speedwagen

Seasoned Expediter
There is also a renovated, more conventional Shell Station circa 1930's at the Gilmore Museum in Michigan, NE of Kalamazoo.
One of my favorite places to visit if you are into cars, restored barns and manicured grounds:

Welcome to the Gilmore Car Museum

Attachments

• Gilmore Museum Shell.jpg
    Gilmore Museum Shell.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 12

matlack

Expert Expediter

matlack

Expert Expediter

I wanted to post more photos and notes about the two Historic Shell Stations located in Winston Salem NC.
While I was there I scouted out the parking situation at Kermit's Hot Dog House located about a block west of the "Shell" shaped station; There is some nearby parking for a Straight truck for while dining at Kermit's.

First is more photos of the Shell Shaped building;

matlack-albums-roadside-attractions-picture852-03212011-002.jpg

There is some parking along the wide streets for a Straight Truck. This Shell shaped building is located at the corner of Sprague and Peachtree Streets.
matlack-albums-roadside-attractions-picture854-03212011-004.jpg

The second station is the remodeled Quality Shell Oil former headquarters which now is home to several business including Bob's Subs & Pub.
matlack-albums-roadside-attractions-picture856-03212011-022.jpg

Notice the low 12'6 railroad overpass to the left of this building that crosses over Reynolda Road.
This photo was taken on Northwest Blvd which is the truck route.
Straight truck parking along Northwest Blvd is more plentiful during daylight hours as there is a theater and nightclubs nearby.

Sam's Art Gallery is located at 701 Northwest Blvd about a block east of Bob's Subs & Pub.
This is the place for Lawn Folk Art, even if you don't stop the store's yard makes for a unique photo.

YouTube - Sam the Polka-Dot Man

The history of both of these buildings is in the links that I have already posted in this thread.

There are many neat things to see in Winston Salem that can be found by searching the internet.

Old Salem is a restored Moravian community that is also a working museum.
It is free to walk the streets of and to shop in the Bakery, otherwise they sell tickets to tour the workshops and some homes.
We was in luck the day that we visited the Bakery, they were giving away free samples of fresh warm Chocolate Cake baked the old fashioned way.

There is a very large Coffee Pot (capacity est 740 gal.) made by a local Tinsmith in 1858 and is a landmark of Old Salem; The Salem Coffee Pot, Winston-Salem, NC - visitsouth.com

picc7298.php

I believe that Old Salem parking is free and they have bus parking that may allow a straight truck, I would NOT suggest driving a truck on their cobblestone streets.

Old Salem Museums and Gardens | Directions

Winston Salem being home to the start of RJ Reynolds Tobacco Company is also home to the Winston Cup Racing Museum located near the downtown area.

Official Site of the Winston Cup Museum

There should be straight truck parking available nearby and they would probably be able to tell you over the phone.
Note: Be careful as there are some low RxR overpasses in the downtown area.

When first I started this thread it was to show one photo of the Shell Shaped building, but it has since turned into more of what to see in Winston Salem NC.
I might post this last page with a new title like Sites to see in Winston Salem NC.

What do you think?