hiring on with C&M ....

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Yes, you have to wait 4 weeks to get first weeks pay, which can be hard.

I don't know anything about C&M or this fleet owner, and this is the first I have ever heard of a carrier that holds the first paycheck back that long. But as I think about it, I can see the advantages.

Right off the bat the carrier frees himself of the undercapitalized wannabees who might otherwise enter the business with insufficient funds to persist through a slow stretch. When prospective drivers who are undercapitalized hear of such a long wait for their first check, I don't see them staying on the phone long.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't know anything about C&M or this fleet owner, and this is the first I have ever heard of a carrier that holds the first paycheck back that long. But as I think about it, I can see the advantages.

Right off the bat the carrier frees himself of the undercapitalized wannabees who might otherwise enter the business with insufficient funds to persist through a slow stretch. When prospective drivers who are undercapitalized hear of such a long wait for their first check, I don't see them staying on the phone long.

Yes..it really separates the "floaters" from the "stickers"

turritrans

Expert Expediter
Being carriers are getting paid 30-90 days from submitting the invoice it's a better way to manage cash flow.

Some ops complain about a hold back, but when those settlement checks are rolling in over 4th of July shutdown and X-mas and New Year when the truck sits and your not generating revenue for 2-3 weeks... That sure doesn't suck!

dscincexp

Seasoned Expediter
Ok,, I think it is time for me to chime in... I am a fleet owner at C&M.. Lets keep in mind that C&M does do a 3 week hold back on the FLEET OWNER.. I understand it.. Some companies hold back escrow.. This is to protect them should a driver leave and fuel taxes are not paid, or to help stop signing on folk that want to jump company to company. If you cannot support yourself as a driver signing on in this business for a month, should you be there? Go back and read threads from "newbies" signing on, everyone will tell them they need to have money for a month or so to get started...The Fleet Owner is responsible for the contract driver under his or her Fleet. Tim, ( and more confusing there are two fleet owners named Tim) holds back one week on funds as i do.. We as Fleet owners absorb the difference. C&M is GREAT company to work with, thats why i am there. I see this thread, people that have either talked to someone there or do work there, all positive.. As a driver signing on with a Fleet owner, You do have to have some responsibility to be able to support yourself for that period of time.. I would tell moringstar to talk to Tim, He is a good guy.. I think in the end if you can make it work, you will be in good place. From the owners there to dispatch, to drivers , they make it family like..

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Ok,, I think it is time for me to chime in... I am a fleet owner at C&M.. Lets keep in mind that C&M does do a 3 week hold back on the FLEET OWNER.. I understand it.. Some companies hold back escrow.. This is to protect them should a driver leave and fuel taxes are not paid, or to help stop signing on folk that want to jump company to company. If you cannot support yourself as a driver signing on in this business for a month, should you be there? Go back and read threads from "newbies" signing on, everyone will tell them they need to have money for a month or so to get started...The Fleet Owner is responsible for the contract driver under his or her Fleet. Tim, ( and more confusing there are two fleet owners named Tim) holds back one week on funds as i do.. We as Fleet owners absorb the difference. C&M is GREAT company to work with, thats why i am there. I see this thread, people that have either talked to someone there or do work there, all positive.. As a driver signing on with a Fleet owner, You do have to have some responsibility to be able to support yourself for that period of time.. I would tell moringstar to talk to Tim, He is a good guy.. I think in the end if you can make it work, you will be in good place. From the owners there to dispatch, to drivers , they make it family like..

This is probably the most important post in this thread. You can take every word of it to the bank.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Yes..it really separates the "floaters" from the "stickers"

My two cents worth from one who hires. Your fleet operator probably doesn't pay because there are a lot of (so called) drivers who after a week will realize this thing called Expedite is not for them. Of course now a days most people think trucking is a very lucrative deal, only to find out its not. The young generation of today want to start at the big dogs spot and the heck with earning their way. I sound sinicle but thats reality. For most it doesn't matter how much you pay its not enough. You bend over backwards for your people but they think someone making a dollar a mile is rich, when they haven't owned anything but, but, but, you know I can't think of anything they've owned. Anyway thats the way it is. Only the strong survive in any business, not just Expediting. Again Good luck and hope you make it.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter

The problem with holdbacks comes from the undercapitalized carrier's that end up vanishing into thin air and taking contractor's money with them. C&M never failed to pay me when they were supposed to and I dont know of anybody who could say differently. I also never felt that C&M was anywhere close to be undercapitalized.

Highway Star and I were discussing the holdback recently. I told him that I try to keep my finances good enough that 1 week, 2 weeks or 5 weeks really doesnt matter as long as I trust the carrier to pay when its time to pay. HS obviously has the same approach or he couldnt have been successful there for as long as he has been.

It is good that the fleetowners help out the drivers when needed to get them through the holdback period.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And, on the subject of weekends, I went back in service this morning after a 34 and had a load 2 hours later. And, I'm pre dispatched for tomorrow. I'll have to miss the St. Louis Supercross. The sacrifices I make...

Sent from my DROIDX using EO Forums

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
And, on the subject of weekends, I went back in service this morning after a 34 and had a load 2 hours later. And, I'm pre dispatched for tomorrow. I'll have to miss the St. Louis Supercross. The sacrifices I make...

Sent from my DROIDX using EO Forums

I was gonna drive down there frm millwalki but watchin gets me irritated after awhile. Would been cool to metup with u there

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Hedgehog. You are mean.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

Me tink, the only mean thing in the whole thread would involve the owner, if, she were to be able to afford the wait for pay and transport to orientation. Can't believe a premier owner like Dave has not stepped up and snatched this stellar, over-the top, money making driver.

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver

... ty dscin ...
still no word on when i can head to Ohio....
and if i do , not even sure how i will like being in a sprinter van... im soo soo use to the straight trucks. the logs, parking , rules, wiegh stations... that dont bother me really .. i enjoyed my space in them..
if was to only find someone with striaght trucks that had a solo spot available...nd decent with there drivers... let me know please. :)

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Morningstar, I have no idea what you were making as a solo driver in a ST, but i know that are people out here in C/V's / Sprinters making $90,000 plus to the truck...and from my understanding, C&M pays well....Talk to Guido on here about going from a ST to a Van...and there are more of those types here...The way that you work, there would be no reason other then slow freight that you wouldn't do ok in a Sprinter as a Driver..yes being the owner would be ideal, but thats not the issue, you can do well.....

bluefish55

Active Expediter
Yes of course the hold back is on the fleet owner, but Tim told a possible driver that as a driver of a cube van you would have to wait 4 weeks for your first weeks pay because he is paying for the fuel and tolls. There is no one week hold back. But there could be different offers to different drivers. And if you start in the middle of a week you will wait 4 weeks for a possible 2 or 3 day pay, so it would be a 5 week wait for a full pay. If you have the money to get through it I am sure it would be a great job. It's not about, you have to spend money to make money as a new driver in this expediting job, it's about you have to spend money to get a job as a driver. And I am sure it would be worth it if you have the money to do it. I am sure a good driver would do well there and work for an excellent company.

dscincexp

Seasoned Expediter
Re: hiring on with C&M ....
Yes of course the hold back is on the fleet owner, but Tim told a possible driver that as a driver of a cube van you would have to wait 4 weeks for your first weeks pay because he is paying for the fuel and tolls. There is no one week hold back. But there could be different offers to different drivers. And if you start in the middle of a week you will wait 4 weeks for a possible 2 or 3 day pay, so it would be a 5 week wait for a full pay. If you have the money to get through it I am sure it would be a great job. It's not about, you have to spend money to make money as a new driver in this expediting job, it's about you have to spend money to get a job as a driver. And I am sure it would be worth it if you have the money to do it. I am sure a good driver would do well there and work for an excellent company.

Bluefish... You are confusing things,,, She is talking to a different fleet owner,, There are two fleet owners named Tim.. The guy she his talking to only holds back 1 week

garebel

Seasoned Expediter
ok here goes,,not sure if you can do this here but i'm gonna try,,here we have a 7 + yr driver in a bind, trying hard to stay in expediting, not sure if she even wants the help, dont know how she got in such a bind, but it seem like with over 2000 views we all could offer a little help!! i am offering to send a small donation which i dont want back ,all i need is for you morning star to pm a private message as to where i could send it,,and i pray that others would want to do the same!!may GOD bless us all and help us remember there are those we can help if we just will..

bluefish55

Active Expediter
dscincexp: Well that's good for her. The Tim I know has a Sprinter and cubes. There was no way of knowing which Tim she was talking to. Good luck.