Hino turbo

cliffkujala

Rookie Expediter
Bummer. I think the reman VNT just fried. I'm in the Cali desert waiting for truck to cool after a big hill pull, but behavior is the same as before. Hoping some time cooling will be enough to let me get back to Phoenix without the VNT degrading the ecu into limp mode. I'll update here as I learn more.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Bummer. I think the reman VNT just fried. I'm in the Cali desert waiting for truck to cool after a big hill pull, but behavior is the same as before. Hoping some time cooling will be enough to let me get back to Phoenix without the VNT degrading the ecu into limp mode. I'll update here as I learn more.
What year is the truck? If it's an 08 or later, you can pull codes out of the dash. P0045 or U0073 = dead VNT.

With any luck, that big pull just sucked some crud out of the fuel tank, blocked a line, and set a P0087.

cliffkujala

Rookie Expediter
2006, plus it is actually a UD2600. Codes seem to be same/similar since it uses a HinoECU. Unfortunately UD put something in front of the ecu so you need their proprietary $750 PC Connect software to pull codes. Not sure if it's possible to pull codes on the dash.

cliffkujala

Rookie Expediter
With any luck, that big pull just sucked some crud out of the fuel tank, blocked a line, and set a P0087.

I did just get fuel before the hill climb so maybe a bad batch. How do you feel about running a full gallon of Lucas Injector cleaner to try and see if that clears it up?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
If it advertises removing water, never. Take the fittings off of the fuel filer housing and the pipe elbows out of the fuel tank and look for debris. Very common.

cliffkujala

Rookie Expediter
Well. I was finally able to get around to checking what the problem is on this 2006 UD2600 (Hino J08E) truck. It is again a melted VNT Controller.

Anybody found a source for VNT Controller 738265-0039 or 738265-9027 ? I purchased a remanufactured unit last summer from Superior Turbo in MI, but they are no longer dealing with this remain unit and can only sell me a whole turbo. I'd really rather not buy a complete turbo, when the only reason the reman VNT unit failed was due to excessive heat. It was working great otherwise.

Attachments

• IMG_4050.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_4050.JPG.jpeg
    266.7 KB · Views: 21

cliffkujala

Rookie Expediter
I'd really rather not buy a complete turbo, when the only reason the reman VNT unit failed was due to excessive heat.

After some searching, and speaking with some guys rebuilding turbos, they don't agree with the above statement I made regarding my failure. The consensus seems to be that replacing only the VNT controller, without at a minimum calibrating the unit to the specific turbo will always result in eventual failure. And further to that, they all think my turbo most likely has some other problem since it failed in the first place. I guess I'll be buying a whole new turbo...

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I'd really rather not buy a complete turbo, when the only reason the reman VNT unit failed was due to excessive heat.

After some searching, and speaking with some guys rebuilding turbos, they don't agree with the above statement I made regarding my failure. The consensus seems to be that replacing only the VNT controller, without at a minimum calibrating the unit to the specific turbo will always result in eventual failure. And further to that, they all think my turbo most likely has some other problem since it failed in the first place. I guess I'll be buying a whole new turbo...
Every time I have seen a truck with a reman VNT, it's at the shop getting the turbo replaced. The reman turbos through Hino (2010 and earlier) still aren't as good as the new ones, IMO.

cliffkujala

Rookie Expediter
And the fun continues. Put the truck back together (with burnt up VNT) so I could move it. Ran for a while, and now, it just idles. No response to throttle input, so therefore no drive.

I really need to get my hands on th UD PC Consult 2 software so I can see the trouble codes for this unit. My father has a reader and software to scan the same year (2006) Hino trucks, but UD put something in front of the Hino ECU so you need their proprietary software to extract the codes.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
And the fun continues. Put the truck back together (with burnt up VNT) so I could move it. Ran for a while, and now, it just idles. No response to throttle input, so therefore no drive.

I really need to get my hands on th UD PC Consult 2 software so I can see the trouble codes for this unit. My father has a reader and software to scan the same year (2006) Hino trucks, but UD put something in front of the Hino ECU so you need their proprietary software to extract the codes.

Often when there's absolutely no communication with the VNT, the engine will just idle. If the VNT has failed in an awkward position, it might not even start, or it may roll coal at idle.

I've run into the UD/Hino software dilemma myself. Trying to put in injector codes, no bueno. The problem was Hino sourced injectors went into a UD. Hino upgraded their injectors with antiwear coatings inside, but this wasn't extended to UD, from what I've heard. Anyway, the truck ran great despite having untranslatable injector coding, but this apparently had no affect on how it ran, so down the road it went. Same truck had the VNT vanes sticking so bad I had to hit the linkage with a hammer, repeatedly, for it to loosen up. It somehow worked fine after that.