Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Attachments

• Diane Lane.jpg
    Diane Lane.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 26

Monty

Expert Expediter
I really enjoyed this book, but it seems some found it lacking.

So who should read this book? Well, negativists, pessimists, and cynics will just eat this stuff up. Conspiracy theorists will just LOVE the Mena airport chapter. Anti-Hillary people should certainly add this to their repertoire, since Morris explicitly states, for example, that Hillary had an affair with Vince Foster (among numerous other scandals).

And who should avoid this book? Anyone who believes, still, that the press has a positive role; that government can change society for the better; or that people at their core are basically good.
I put myself firmly in this latter optimistic category, and therefore I found this book to be needlessly pessimistic. In my work with OnTheIssues and elsewhere, I have dealt with hundreds of politicians, some of whom I've supported and many of whom I've opposed. But the one thing in common I've found, among all those politicians, even the ones I worked hard to defeat electorally, is that they all truly believe that they can change their part of the world for the better. I often disagree with HOW they want to change it, but I have never found any politician who's actually in it just for the money, or for the power, or for anything else. Politicians are in politics because they want to do some good. That's why they enter the arena, and put themselves on the line for criticisms like Morris'. And they all deserve a lot more respect than Morris gives them.

Partners in Power, by Roger Morris

[h=4]The point is not that Bill and Hillary Clinton are Right-wingers in disguise . It is that they have no conviction, no ideology, no guiding purpose[/h]
Even Hillary Clinton was a Cold Warrior of sorts. Described in Morris's book as "a closet Contra supporter", she quietly aided Contra fund-raising in Little Rock. She also used her influence in US liberal circles to undercut the legitimacy of peace activists and pro-Sandinista church groups opposed to President Reagan's policies in Central America.
The point is not that Bill and Hillary Clinton are Right-wingers in disguise - although Morris demolishes the pretence that they were progressive reformers in Arkansas. It is that they have no conviction, no ideology, no guiding purpose. Driven by raw ambition, they will make any compromise necessary to advance their interests.
Partners in Power is the first of what will be a succession of books about the Clintons whose authors are not fooled by the shadow-boxing that often passes for substantive debate in American politics. (A second book, by the editor of the American Spectator, will be coming out later this month with another set of revelations.)
Morris violates all the taboos. Impatient with the manicured myth that Bill Clinton was the apple-pie boy from Hope, Arkansas, he reveals the little-known fact that the President spent much of his childhood in Hot Springs, the capital of gambling, drug-smuggling and organised crime in the central United States, where his powerful uncle and mentor, Raymond Clinton, was a member of the Dixie mafia.
It was not Mr Clinton's fault, of course, that he grew up in the culture of "the Mob". But it is central to understanding who Bill Clinton really is. It helps explain why his brother, Roger, ended up as a convicted drug dealer, and why Bill himself allegedly became a regular user of cocaine. (On a police surveillance videotape quoted from in the book, Roger can be heard saying to a supplier of cocaine: "Got to get some for my brother. He's got a nose like a vacuum cleaner.")
For Morris, ensconced in his New Mexico mountain retreat, the American political system is now fatally corrupted. Democrats and Republicans noisily dispute how many angels can fit on the head of a pin. But both are indentured servants of the permanent government - "a bureaucracy so self-corrupted it is unfit for democracy" - and the interlocking interests of the lobby machine to be found on Washington's K Street.
It already looks as if the US media will try to ignore Partners in Power, which is to be published next week. "Their reaction is entirely predictable," said Morris. "If they were to behave any other way, my book would not be true."

Student Bill Clinton 'spied' on Americans abroad for CIA

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
Diane Lane a dead ringer for Hillary? With all due haste sir, have your eyes checked!

For a decade or three I've taken it upon myself (as a selfless service to mankind) to study the face (and other attributes) of Diane Lane. Somehow a comparison to Hillary Clinton never once, even for an instant, flashed across my mind.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I wouldn't vote for her - the woman simply reeks of a hunger for power, and I find that ugly.
Besides: if her own husband didn't have enough respect to avoid embarrassing her publicly, why should anyone else?

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
I wouldn't vote for her - the woman simply reeks of a hunger for power, and I find that ugly.
Besides: if her own husband didn't have enough respect to avoid embarrassing her publicly, why should anyone else?

Not to mention the lies......Oh, did I tell you she's a liar??:rolleyes:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Her only election win was in NY, and I'm not real impressed with people who'd vote for Weiner [even now!] but I hope a national election would be more of a challenge.
O, who am I kidding? We elect the worst of the bunch all the time. Granted, they're the only ones running, but if we were smart, we'd just say no to all of them.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Her only election win was in NY, and I'm not real impressed with people who'd vote for Weiner [even now!] but I hope a national election would be more of a challenge.
O, who am I kidding? We elect the worst of the bunch all the time. Granted, they're the only ones running, but if we were smart, we'd just say no to all of them.

What's this "we" stuff, woman....you got a mouse in yer pocket?? ;)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Can't have a mouse in my pocket, the mp3 player takes all the space. ;) We is the American citizens who keep having to choose between bad & worse to vote for.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If only people would vote bad and not worse. Sadly, worse has won twice in a row over bad. Idiots.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Hillary Clinton Ministries? Whoa, I can't get with that. I'm a Hillary fan but I think she should stick to politics. Leave the preaching to the likes of TD Jakes, Joel Osteen, etc. Hopefully we will see her in the 2016 campaign...

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I think it will be fun if Hillary runs. We will not be bored and we should have 1000's of pages in here to talk about for months. Can't wait to see her new pantsuits and new hairdo . Maybe Monica will give some input on her Bill in the Whitehouse,,,,,again, now that idea will add tons of jokes for years, cigars anyone???????????????????

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Just what we need, ANOTHER, lying, murdering, criminal in the White House! :mad: Replacing scum with scum NEVER works, just look at the LAST 50 years, how has THAT worked for you?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Forget Hillary, get Diane Lane to run. At least then the candidate and debate will be worth looking at and she couldn't be any worse than what we have and what's coming.