Hey Anti Union Folks...

jmore1276

Seasoned Expediter
Hey people, let’s walk in my tracks at a typical GM/Union day. Clock in at 6:00 am. Jobs passed out about 10 minutes later. Grab push cart with tools and walk about two blocks to the machine. Something broken UNDER the machine. Lift floor grate, climb down oil coated ladder. An arm is broken off the machine and lying on the floor of machine pit. Everything is totally covered with sloppy oil and grease. Walk back to shop and get chains and hoist. Rig hoist to bring broken parts to floor level. Find skid and put broken parts on skid. Walk back to shop and have someone bring parts to shop with fork truck. The walking part is going Squish, Squish, cause your shoes are covered with oil. Your clothes are covered with oil. Your head is wrapped in rags, kinda like a rag head. While parts are being delivered to shop I squish squish back to the machine with a 20 lb industrial drill. Drill the broken bolts out of the botton (roof) of the machine by pushing UP on the drill. Bolts are drilled, squish, squish back to the shop. Parts are delivered. Tear parts down and clean them up in wash tank. Lay clean broken parts on skid to be delivered to machine shop for replacements. Then it’s lunch time. All thirty minutes of it. About the same after dinner. That went on for nearly forty years. You didn’t see me mention any part about sitting on my azz on a fork truck on the dock did you? The next day would be different. I might get to work on TOP of a machine, up in the steel where the temp might be 120 degrees. Sounds like a nice soft job, huh?

Thank you. I worked alot harder at GM by far than doing this job. Assembly Plant, Foundry. Yes grease and pcbs. I guess getting cancer at a young age isn't worth $28 per hr. But these morons don't get that. They work so hard riding in a truck and not touching a piece of freight. Lazy auto workers??? Hmmm. Look who's talking.

jmore1276

Seasoned Expediter
Nope, sorry, not in a forced union shop. Collective Bargaining is a fancy phrase for collusion. If I were able to work there without joining the union, and then negotiate my own wages, either above or below the collectively bargained rate, that would be capitalism. But a forced union shop completely removes the entire concept of a free market where the strong survive and the weak perish.

ok I guess a "forced anti-union" shop is better. Like when you even mention union and get fired (of coarse for some other reason that wasn't an issue until you mentioned union). I'm not against people having a choice at all. In fact some southern GM plants have that option. But I don't think the non-union folks who don't pay their dues should have union representation either. So make it fair...no forced union membership, but no intimidation for wanting a union either. Sounds fair to me.

jmore1276

Seasoned Expediter
Give me Michigan and I will save it!!! The very FIRST thing I would do is repeal the Granholm/Obama style taxes. I would eliminate un-paid welfare. (I don't care what the Feds would have to say about it.) Re-builing infastrucsure would be a priority. The wasted welfare money would go along way to pay for that. The State would become "Business Friendly" as opposed what it is today. AND I could do this while improving the environment, stopping urban sprawl and re-building Michigan's lost wetlands. After doing all that I would get down to business!!! LOL. Layoutshooter

I agree. That CORPORATE WELFARE is non-sense. We should use those off shore tax breaks to help people on personal welfare get jobs with benefits so it's worth giving up their Medicade which is the main reason people stay on welfare. Apperently a job at MacDonalds pays too much for a family to be eligible for medicade. I can't understand why people don't want to work at Walmart who purposely hires thousands of people just under full time so they don't have to offer them any medical insurance whatsoever...not even a group rate for people to pay for themselves. Yes..I definately hear ya :)

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
JMore... you need to read Moot carefully. When he says "our ancestors will use you for oil" you do understand all our ancestors are either very old or dead? All of them. It was a Moot joke. You're safe.

Last edited:

jmore1276

Seasoned Expediter
JMore... you need to read Moot carefully. When he says "our ancestors will use you for oil" you do understand all our ancestors are either very old or dead? All of them. It was a Moot joke. You're safe.

My apologies to MOOT. Hard to determine ones intentions or mood thru txt. I am sorry if I over re-acted Moot. I guess I just get so sick of the constant Union Bashing on here. Not all but many have never been in a union or know why they have most of the work rules that help them today. It just gets old after a while. Then to hear them ***** about getting their rates cut after saying "Good for those GM guys they deserve a pay cut".

And I am very capable of laughing at myself and even my views as dearly as I hold them. I know some union guys take advantage...but even that's funny sometimes. Like putting "non-conforming" stickers on a sleeping Mil-Wright's Glasses. Even the boss had to laff at that one.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
I am a student of Mootology and trying to break the code. Sometimes, I feel on the verge of a breakthrough only to be reduced to tears. I gather my composure and push on. It is a rewarding pursuit.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When an aspiring Mootologist finds himself in a moment of frustration, just stroke the sacred Chinchilla pelt and chant the mantra, "Ban the Van, Ban the Van"...

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
When an aspiring Mootologist finds himself in a moment of frustration, just stroke the sacred Chinchilla pelt and chant the mantra, "Ban the Van, Ban the Van"...

WOW!! Now I know where I have been going wrong! DUH!!!

While I have the words right, I have been stroking a
"CHIA PET!" :p

copdsux

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Didn't he mean that our DESCENDANTS will use us for oil? We are already waiting for our ancestors to be converted to oil!

Mike

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I didn't say O/O's were scabs. Just that people who look out only for themselves and undermine a better deal for all are scabs...and of coarse Union Bashers are scabs because they would surely cross a picket line again for themselves and hurt others who have put in alot of time and effort into raising the bar for all not just themselves but even non-union workers who get better wages because of this higher standard.

No you didn't say O/O's were scabs. You said:
Maybe because the rates keep going down because any scab is willing to work for food and under cut the next guy instead of showing some solidarity to keep rates up.

Again I say look up the definition of the term scab.

As far as these prisoners...did the union bring them in? Or the State? Maybe your elected officials are anti-union and the unions can only do so much.

I'll plead guilty to being a DUMMY to the above. A BIG CLUELESS DUMMY.

And BTW. I hope that wasn't a threat. There's no place for that here. If you want to speak your mind so be it. But don't get nasty DUMMY.

And don't ever threaten me Dummy

Threat? Threaten? I suggested you look up the definition of the term scab not pick at one!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Didn't he mean that our DESCENDANTS will use us for oil? We are already waiting for our ancestors to be converted to oil!
Mike

Yeah, something like that. I think??? I confuse myself most of the time.

Unions in this country reached their peak of power and are in decline. Unions fought for and gained that power in response to heavy handed management tactics and practices. Now the reverse is occurring. Its a cyclical thing.

When I was a non-union (scab) LTL driver I thanked my Teamster brothers for fighting for my wages. We generally made .25 to .30 less an hour and .02/mile less than union drivers. Of course that was compared to the union drivers that weren't on a 15% give back to keep their companies afloat after deregulation.

We may have been paid less but we didn't pay union dues and were included in the company's profit sharing program.

We did have to work a little harder. All drivers were required to fuel their trucks and hook their trailers.

I'm not anti-union. I just feel that many unions got to powerful and abused that power. Some day unions will rise again to power in reaction to abuse by management. Too bad a middle ground can't be reached and maintained.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The term "racketeering" was coined in 1927 by the Employers' Association of Chicago in a statement regarding the influence of organized crime in the Teamsters Union. That's fitting. Extortion is one thing that organized crime is very good at. Extortion, or exaction, is when an individual or a group obtains, or attempts to obtain, money, property or services from a person, entity or institution through coercion.

When you get right down to it, there's very little difference between extortion and a strike. In some cases, none.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Gee Turtle, extortion, racketeering, sounds like the Government and the I.R.S. to me. LOL
Layoutshooter