Help

Webbtown1

Rookie Expediter
Hi I am new to expediters and I need some help I got approved with panther and got a contract yesterday from a fleet owner I don't know anything about being a independent contractor can someone go over what that is. also can you look at this contract and email me at [email protected] and let me know if it is a good contract or not
and can you go over how much I will make and how the pay works thanks.

INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR CONTRACT

Date of Contract ____________________________

I, _________________________ hereby agree to lease/operate truck, unit # _______ from
as of the date shown above. I understand and agree that I will be considered an Independent
Contractor (IC), not an employee. I also agree to all of the below listed conditions and restrictions of this
contract.

INSURANCE
*Independent Contractor (herein after referred to as IC) has the responsibility to obtain and pay for all
occupational insurance required by Panther. IC will have $25.83 deducted from their pay per week to cover
this insurance. (Amount subject to change by Panther.)
*IC will be responsible for 100% of the deductible required by accident insurance. will
hold escrow funds in the amount of $1000 per team to cover the deductible in the event of an accident. A
payroll deduction of $25 per week will be taken until the escrow amount is fulfilled. This escrow amount
will be returned in full if IC does not have any accidents/incidents and when contract with
is terminated as set forth below.
* does not offer health insurance, but IC can purchase it through Panther's insurance
company.

CONDUCT AND REQUIREMENTS
*IC needs a Class B license with a hazardous materials and air brake endorsement.
*IC must submit to random drug tests as required by Panther or as requested by LLC.
*IC must keep truck clean, well maintained, and current with D.O.T. safety regulations. Condition of truck
should, at all times, represent a quality reputation for our team.
*All mechanical problems are to be immediately reported to . No

unauthorized repairs will be reimbursed.
*IC is responsible for the cost of any tickets resulting from traffic or safety violations.
*IC is responsible for the maintenance of all fluids necessary for daily operation of unit; i.e. oil, power
steering fluid, windshield washer fluid, anti-gel fluid when engine will be off in the cold, etc.

Express will pay for the fluids as long as receipts are submitted. IC is expected to inspect the truck on a
daily basis. THIS IS A MUST!
*IC is responsible for submitting all toll receipts to via mail on a weekly basis.
*IC is expected to run loads on time for pickup and delivery, 100% of the time. IC is 100% responsible for
any charges incurred due to late delivery or pickup.
*IC agrees to immediate termination for misconduct as determined by .
*IC must pay federal and state taxes and state unemployment on their earnings. IC will be sent a 1099 by
January 31st as required by law.
*IC is wholly responsible for any damage to items in the truck or to the truck itself. The following items are
in the truck: _5__ load bars, _8__ straps, _8__ blankets, safety triangles, fire extinguisher, color TV/DVD
player, microwave, toolbox, jumper cables, chains and refrigerator.
*IC must keep the truck locked at all times when away from the truck.
*Truck cannot be used for personal use, unless authorized by .
*IC must have their own cell phone approved by Panther.
*If any false information is given to or Panther, it will be grounds for immediate
termination.
*Home time is to be agreed on between the IC and . If IC is not available for loads on
the agreed upon return date, IC will be charged $100 per day until available. If IC is off more than 5 nights
at a time, the pay owed will be held until the next pay period.
*IC must give a two week notice to resign. If no notice is given, all funds due IC are forfeited. The IC
must resign by phone and by fax. The IC must keep themselves in service for the full two weeks, or the IC
will be in violation of this contract. Once the two weeks are up, or before if requests,
the truck must be brought to Panther or other designated location immediately. If the IC is terminated by
the truck must be brought to Panther or other designated location immediately. In
either case, the truck must be brought to the location specified by , and must be clean
inside and out. If the truck is not clean the IC will be charged a $500 cleaning fee. The truck and all items
inside the truck must be in the same condition they were in when this contract was signed. If
has to send someone to get the truck, the IC will be charged $2.00 per mile both ways. If the
contract is not adhered to, deductions will come out of the IC's final pay or escrow reserve.

IC agrees to operate said unit for 16 weeks beginning on the date the unit is placed in service. IC agrees
to stay out at least 3 weeks at a time. IC agrees to accept all loads offered by Panther. If the load seems
unreasonable, the IC is to call fleet owner at XXXXXXXX will be deducted from final pay

SETTLEMENTS
*IC will receive 40% (20% to each IC if running as a team) of the loaded miles, and deadhead.
will be responsible for the fuel and receive 100% of the fuel surcharge.
*IC will receive 50% (25% to each IC if running as a team) of bonuses, detention, stop-offs and layovers. IC
will receive 100% of hand-loads. (50% to each IC running as a team.)
*IC will be paid weekly on Friday by 4 p.m. beginning the second Friday for loads delivered by noon Friday

of the preceding week. Paperwork must be scanned to Panther by noon every Saturday. If paperwork is
not submitted in time, funds will not pay out. The truck must get paid for you to get paid.
Paperwork (i.e. toll, fuel and maintenance receipts) must be emailed or mailed to on a weekly basis. All other paperwork will be hand
delivered to - during meeting times.

DEDUCTION RECAP WEEKLY
*$25.83 Occupational Insurance, per driver.
*$25.00 Escrow until $500 is satisfied for each IC.

This contract is automatically renewed annually between the parties.
Independent Contractor (IC):_signature:________________________________________________
Printed Name:____________________________ Social Security #__________________________
Address _________________________________________________________________________
Cell Phone #:____________________________ Home Phone #:____________________________
Driver's License # & State Issued: __________________________ Birth Date:_________________

Emergency Contact Name & Phone: ___________________________________________________

Last edited by a moderator:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Ok...who wrote that thing? That contract is a disaster and isn't legally binding. I don't have time to go through all the reasons why at the moment.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Dang..I dont really know what it cost for a detail shop but Ill do his trucks for $300.
Is $500 really the going rate?

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
To me, it sounds like an owner who will be micro-managing your every move. If you are an independent contractor, I wouldn't sign something saying I had to take every load offered or call my owner. There's usually not enough time to do that anyway.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
I like the accept every load offer from panther clause. This owner really has a lot of faith that Panther will only send the truck into great areas.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would suggest removing the truck owners name from the op for posting publicly.

MissKat

Expert Expediter
IC agrees to operate said unit for 16 weeks beginning on the date the unit is placed in service. FOUR MONTHS IS A LONG TIME TO BE HELD TO THE FIRE AS AN INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR!

IC agrees to stay out at least 3 weeks at a time. OR WHAT?

IC agrees to accept all loads offered by Panther. If the load seems unreasonable, the IC is to call fleet owner at PH MOST PANTHER LOADS SEEM UNREASONABLE AT FIRST, BUT ESPECIALLY TO A NEWBIE

RUN FORREST RUN

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
"The truck and all items inside the truck must be in the same condition as when this contract was signed" ?
Do they make giant plastic slipcovers for it? :rolleyes:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Pruett than the forced dispatch, which makes the IC an employee, the real kicker is forfeiture of monies earned for failure to give proper notice. The reason that's not legally binding is because it's criminal.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You wouldn't know until you try:)

You are about ready to be provided with an opportunity to to earn a living with very little investments and you can start as soon as next week....why not?

When I started in the expediting business a few years back, I recalled reading some of the recommendations posted here on the EO forum.

The most important one, I thought, was to be able to do what you are asked to do from an owner/carrier. I followed that.

Many Times, I didn't agree with certain issues or decisions, but I held on and bite the bullet. I'm glad I held on. And now I understood the term teamwork.

Are you comfortable of following the requests and directions from this owner? If you are, then allow him to be your teacher and simply follow the instructions....be a student, that is.

This owner/carrier will directly and indirectly teach you the needed business skills and compensate you while you're learning. In return, all he asked is for you to follow the instructions.

If I were you, I'd go for it. And after 16 weeks, consider yourself graduated from the basic training major in Expediting. Then, like myself, you will understand the term teamwork.

Good luck brother:)

Last edited:

Webbtown1

Rookie Expediter
Hi Mailer thanks for the response my problem is I don't know how much
money I can make I don't want to get into this and go broke I have never been a independent contractor
before I need to make at least $700 to 900 a week after taxes I was reading
alot of post of drivers sitting for days not making any money.

You wouldn't know until you try:)

You are about ready to be provided with an opportunity to to earn a living with very little investments and you can start as soon as next week....why not?

When I started in the expediting business a few years back, I recalled reading some of the recommendations posted here on the EO forum.

The most important one, I thought, was to be able to do what you are asked to do from an owner/carrier. I followed that.

Many Times, I didn't agree with certain issues or decisions, but I held on and bite the bullet. I'm glad I held on. And now I understood the term teamwork.

Are you comfortable of following the requests and directions from this owner? If you are, then allow him to be your teacher and simply follow the instructions....be a student, that is.

This owner/carrier will directly and indirectly teach you the needed business skills and compensate you while you're learning. In return, all he asked is for you to follow the instructions.

If I were you, I'd go for it. And after 16 weeks, consider yourself graduated from the basic training major in Expediting. Then, like myself, you will understand the term teamwork.

Good luck brother:)

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Couple of problems :
- 40% is a rip off if your paying fuel
- no serial # of the equipment noted..especially the electronics.
- define personal use...that could be an easy out for the owner to get rid of you.
- always take notes have both party's sign it on condition of vehicle..just like renting a car..I would video tape the whole inspection process video don't lie..

The whole thing screams problems

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
"I was reading alot of post of drivers sitting for days not making any money."

This is a correct statement. It is not out of the norm to sit for days, sometimes longer, without a load. Then the next load pays $7500 and the week is normal. That is the nature of this business. It can be feast or famine. If you come into this business looking for a "steady income" you are likely looking at the wrong business. A job would be a better choice.

An expediter has to look at "longer" periods to see how things are going. Monthly, or longer. Owning a business is vastly different than having a job. The risks are greater, but so can the rewards be greater. That includes the greatest reward of all, the freedom it gives you. Yes, you work much harder, yes, it gets scary, but it can be a really fun ride.

It's all in the attitude.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
WOW! I honestly can say that under this contract you would be making less than HALF of what I would consider than "normal" rates of compensation. I am a fleet owner and I would be embarrassed to offer such low compensation... although there may be someone that would drive for that...

I don't have any open trucks but if I did, I can't imagine offering such a one-sided contract!

Webbtown1

Rookie Expediter
Hi no they are paying for the fuel.

Couple of problems :
- 40% is a rip off if your paying fuel
- no serial # of the equipment noted..especially the electronics.
- define personal use...that could be an easy out for the owner to get rid of you.
- always take notes have both party's sign it on condition of vehicle..just like renting a car..I would video tape the whole inspection process video don't lie..

The whole thing screams problems

Webbtown1

Rookie Expediter
Hi thanks for the response what is a reasonable rate

WOW! I honestly can say that under this contract you would be making less than HALF of what I would consider than "normal" rates of compensation. I am a fleet owner and I would be embarrassed to offer such low compensation... although there may be someone that would drive for that...

I don't have any open trucks but if I did, I can't imagine offering such a one-sided contract!

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi no they are paying for the fuel.

If you haven't done it, you might want to spend some time reading all the threads and posts on the forum.

All comments here are legitimate. They all have good reasons behind them. Many senior members here have " been there and done that." They are trying to show you certain pitfalls. You have to look at the pros and cons of the comments and come up with your own answer based on your own unique situation and take the calculated risk, or rewards:)

You certainly do want to discuss with the owner about your concerns, especially the income part.

This is a self-employed business, you have to study the potential risks and plan to counter them accordingly. Most of us came into this business with good size of capital and have emergency fund to support he business and personal expenses for atleast 3-6 months.

Once you have decided to do it, you must make the commitment of atleast 6 months to a year. As layoutshooter indicated, you can't go by week to week to get the picture of the average income. It should be done on a longer term.

The good thing in your situation is that the equipment is already provided and you are not responsible for the costly repairs. All you have to do is drive, work smart and hard. I believe once you set mind and decided to commit to this business, you will make what you've asked for, plus more.

You are encouraged to further investigate and do more research with other owner/carrier for better contract. Though like everything else in life, business is no different. You can't have the cake and eat it too. Of course, unless you are Mr. OVM, lol.

Last edited: