Help!! Help!! Sprinter signal lights!!

DAN

Seasoned Expediter
Please help me to fix my signal lights on 2006 Sprinter 2500,none working,no right side,no left side(front or rear)no 4 way.
I check all the fuses, all OK.
Any idea?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's almost certainly the relay under the steering column.

DAN

Seasoned Expediter
Thank you Turtle,how hard is to find the relay and changed?
Is the relay a dealer item only?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's easy to find and change. It's located under that access panel under the steering wheel where all those fuses are, located at the bottom of the fuse block. Remove the panel, and below the fuse block at the very bottom, reach in through and below the right side of the fuse access opening to access the relay. The one on the bottom left is the wiper relay, and there are two over there on the right side, right next to each other. The one on the far right is the turn signal relay and the one just to the left of the turn signal relay is the engine control module relay.

Reach in there and grasp the turn signal relay firmly, which should release the latches, and then pull straight down from the receptacle on the bottom of the fuse block. Might want to wiggle it first, turn the key on and see if that fixes it, since the contacts in relays can lose contact, or remove and reinstall it to see if that works. But more than likely it's just a simple replacement.

I haven't had to replace mine yet, but IIRC RLENT replaced his not too long ago. He can give you the part number and where to get it. Most likely Autozone will have it. A dealer parts department will have it for sure. It's a cheap part.

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
really? a cheap sprinter part? c'mon who ya kidding??:D:D(just saving those sprinter naysayers the need to respond negatively.

Jack, $printer nay $ayer$? What make$ you think that $ome people believe $printer$ are expen$ive to repair? Ju$t curiou$ :)

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I haven't had to replace mine yet, but IIRC RLENT replaced his not too long ago.
You remember correctly :D

He can give you the part number and where to get it.
I got mine from Europarts - it was listed as common failure item on their website. (Their website says around 10 of them are used in various places) Here is a link:

Multi-function relay

The bag mine came in had a couple of numbers on it:

835 33083 001 and 004 545 29 05

and the original relay itself had the latter number stamped into it, preceded by an "A" (A004 545 29 05)

The cost at Europarts is $8.97

Most likely Autozone will have it. A dealer parts department will have it for sure. It's a cheap part.
I haven't looked to see if Autozone has it or not - but one would be wise to carry at least one of these, considering the minimal cost and how many places it is used.

BTW, Turtle's recommendation to wiggle the relay is a good one - it produced a change in the condition I was experiencing, ultimately however my relay was indeed bad.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
funny...never had a relay go bad yet in 485,000 miles yet ..surprising considering the piece of crap I am driving...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I've got my trusty spare multi-function relay that I got from Europarts. Hopefully I'll never need it. Europarts says the relays are used in about 10 places around the van, but other than under the seat and under the steering column, I have no idea where else they are used.

Last edited:

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Murphy's law clearly states that you will never need to replace a relay if you carry a spare.

Last edited: