help a newbie!

jugbutt

Seasoned Expediter
I am looking at this 1 ton chevy cargo van and it has around 200,000 mi. on it. It seems to be well maintained and all .

My question is should I say away from it or go for it he wants 5,500.00 for it. I have heard of trucks having 900,000 mi. on them (diesel engines not gas burners). how many miles is too much.

and one more thing would air bags be a good idea on a i ton van to kee the van level or is it overkill?

thanks alot everyone.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not a van guy, but that does not sound like a good idea to me. Sounds too old and too many miles. I assume you are looking to expedite with this van? I would look elsewhere if it were me.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
200k on the van, depends on a lot of stuff. if you are going to go cheap, get it checked out by someone who knows what they are doing. I assume it has a 6.5 in it, which can be a good engine but there are issues with the injection system.

What year?

jugbutt

Seasoned Expediter
200k on the van, depends on a lot of stuff. if you are going to go cheap, get it checked out by someone who knows what they are doing. I assume it has a 6.5 in it, which can be a good engine but there are issues with the injection system.

What year?

It is a 2002. As for going cheap I was looking at getting started will this van and everything works out then getting a new one in the future.
Or is that the wrong route?

breeze

Seasoned Expediter
I payed 3500 for a one ton chevy has 300000 on it and does agood job while andy rebuilds my 06 sprinter motor which has 330000 .The old chev will help bail out that great german machine. YOU cant be afraid to wrench ,or youll go broke.My chev is a 2002.GOOD LUCK!

jugbutt

Seasoned Expediter
I payed 3500 for a one ton chevy has 300000 on it and does agood job while andy rebuilds my 06 sprinter motor which has 330000 .The old chev will help bail out that great german machine. YOU cant be afraid to wrench ,or youll go broke.My chev is a 2002.GOOD LUCK!

Thanks I think if you keep up with the maintance you will be ok.
I found a man to drive for with a 75/25 split and I think that with a little hard work I can do this.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I own a one ton dodge, 318 v8, cargo van with 208k miles. Bought it with 50k on it years ago, I just had the existing tranny rebuilt and a new cooler put in it, one computer, one radiator and one water pump so far on the major stuff. I'm getting 16mpg now and use Mobil One oil synthetic. If ur van has been well maintained u should be ok. Many of my friends out here are at the 400k and 500k range on v8 gas cargo vans and doing ok, but as u know that's getting up there in miles.

If the van is not ticking or rattling and no transmission chatter u will be OK Id say, but everything is a gamble if u don't know the history of ur ride.............

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
I own a one ton dodge, 318 v8, cargo van with 208k miles. Bought it with 50k on it years ago, I just had the existing tranny rebuilt and a new cooler put in it, one computer, one radiator and one water pump so far on the major stuff. I'm getting 16mpg now and use Mobil One oil synthetic. If ur van has been well maintained u should be ok. Many of my friends out here are at the 400k and 500k range on v8 gas cargo vans and doing ok, but as u know that's getting up there in miles.

If the van is not ticking or rattling and no transmission chatter u will be OK Id say, but everything is a gamble if u don't know the history of ur ride.............

If is 2002 ,the 200 k is not highway miles. 200 k is a lot for city miles but not much for highway miles.

RANDYnRONDA

Seasoned Expediter
We just took our 2000 dodge one ton off the road with 800,000 miles on her (gas engine). 200000 miles is just a baby, take care of it and it will have alot miles left.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
My insurance agent says there are ways around the car fax and he doesn't trust them. Why not get an oil analysis done, a good way to know the condition of the engine. Also, put money aside for a tranny rebuild as it may happen sooner then you think, or you may get lucky, either way you will have piece of mind.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
I have a rule of thumb on this issue: If it isn't knocking,smoking, or slipping , it'll probably serve you at least 6 months to a year. I have used this logic twice before and made out OK. If you are a little handy and can do light mechanical work yourself, $5,500 is probably a fair price, though I would try to get it for a little less. In my eyes, A $5,000.00 investment is worth it to decide whether or not I would want to do this long term. It beats a split with an owner, assuming you have the resources to to get up and running.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If is 2002 ,the 200 k is not highway miles. 200 k is a lot for city miles but not much for highway miles.

I agree with Mikey. (Sorry about that. It's the Life Cereal thing). 200K on an expedite van with the owner as the driver is nothing in most cases. 200k on city P & D van with multiple drivers is a major concern.

While mileage and age are the main and often the only criteria defining a used vehicle the actual work history of the vehicle should be paramount.

A tractor with only 400K may be a good deal. But if it was used exclusively pulling a belly or end dump, well...

breeze

Seasoned Expediter
IM thinkin a car fax is only what the dealer types in over the life of a vehicle. I dispise stealershipsand they don't have a clue about my two broken cranks. YA think they would warrenty me at 230000.