Hello I am wondering which company to put a truck on with?

Aaronrocker

Seasoned Expediter
Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. I am wondering which company to put a truck on with. I know that this is not the best time to start expediting but am very adament and gunhoe about it.:D I would like to know the pros and cons of the company as well as the miles per week that you average. As for me I am single with no kids so being on the road for a while is ok with me. I worked for an O/O that did not pay me a few years ago so I am familier with the ups and downs with the market. I will be making payments on a 2005 freightliner so I appreciate all positive feedback. As for me posting in the newbie section, I am new to the O/O brewha not the expediting sector. Thanks for your input and Godbless!:)

wellarmed

Not a Member
I can't recommend where to go, But I can tell you stay away from RJR Transportation they owe dozens of truck owners hundreds of thousands of dollars. They have offices in Sylvania Oh. and Windsor Ontario if you here these names "RUN"

Aaronrocker

Seasoned Expediter
I can't recommend where to go, But I can tell you stay away from RJR Transportation they owe dozens of truck owners hundreds of thousands of dollars. They have offices in Sylvania Oh. and Windsor Ontario if you here these names "RUN"

Thanks for the input. It's too bad that there are company's like that out there trying to screw the business owner. (Foundation of our wonderful country)

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Your best bet is to read the archives and you might be able to determine what to do.Everyone here either hates the company they are with or they love it,its just what will suite you.Some companies pay percentage others mileage,and some your better off to run solo,others you need to run team.What your asking is very difficult for any of us to answer.

truckrnnr

Seasoned Expediter
No offence intended,but if you're seriously wanting to jump in with both feet right now,..........you may want to seek professional help.
To go O/O now,.......you better have a years worth of income sitting at home in cash. I mean truck payments,fuel,maintnance,insurance,food showers laundry, mortgage payments,car payments,child support,college tuition,.....................any expenses you have.You better have enough to pay them for a year without the truck making one dollar towards them.
In recent months,I have seen industry veterans fail,lose their trucks,and have to file bankruptcy.
To jump in now would be financial suicide unless you have a room full of cash at home.
I wish you the best of luck, but please don't think that you'll be the one person who succeeds,because odds are you will not be.

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
As nightcreacher stated, read the archives here. You will find a wealth of information, both good and bad, about a lot of companies. Determine a list of companies that you think would be a good "fit" for you and then call these companies and talk to their recruiters.

Some companies are not taking on solo drivers at this time so calling the companies yourself is your best bet for weeding out the ones you would not qualify for.

Research is the best "tool" for making the type of determination that you are looking for, rather than just depending on other's "hear-say". :)

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
On a positive note if you have the money, I suspect a good deal could be had on a slightly used truck.

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
On a positive note if you have the money, I suspect a good deal could be had on a slightly used truck.

you would think however most that do show up at the dealers are the crappy M2s,possibly the worst truck to use for an expedite straight truck,and i had that one figured out 6 weeks after i started driving and i was not even driving an M2.

Sadly duel axles heavy duty box trucks or singles that you could add a tag axle to are still a rarity allot of places

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If as you state you know the "ups and downs" of the business, then you know NOT to enter the industry at this time.
I think you already answered your own question. If you are just looking to travel, buy an RV. If your still wanting to enter, then drive a tractor.
If you are still wanting to do a straight solo, get your own authority, or find a carrier in which you can obtain your own freight.
Too many jump in "gungho" only to be broke a year later, especially in todays economy.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
No offence intended,but if you're seriously wanting to jump in with both feet right now,..........you may want to seek professional help.
To go O/O now,.......you better have a years worth of income sitting at home in cash. I mean truck payments,fuel,maintnance,insurance,food showers laundry, mortgage payments,car payments,child support,college tuition,.....................any expenses you have.You better have enough to pay them for a year without the truck making one dollar towards them.
In recent months,I have seen industry veterans fail,lose their trucks,and have to file bankruptcy.
To jump in now would be financial suicide unless you have a room full of cash at home.
I wish you the best of luck, but please don't think that you'll be the one person who succeeds,because odds are you will not be.

I'm not sure what you consider a "veteran" there truck or, how long they were in the business to accumilate revenue? But, i'm more inclined to base early the exit of a "veteran" on bad habits they learned over the years like... too many toys, too many agendas, tape residue concerns, and other don't wannas that limit their survival.

Aaronrocker

Seasoned Expediter
:DThank you for all who responded. It seems like everyone on here is a bunch of crybabies that didn't get their bottles. As for me I am not buying the truck.......instead I found an O/O to drive for and to team up with in an 08 Hino with a 96" loaded sleeper. I figure that it's a good start in case in the future I want to put a truck on. And as for davekc It seems like you never have anything positive to say. I have seen your posts in other threads and they are all doom and gloom. Has this business really hit you that hard? Maybe it's time to take your own advice and "buy an RV and tour the country."

Last edited:

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Glad to hear you already know it all there Aaronrocker. That will bode you well as you restart your career in expediting, in what has been said to be the worst time ever for this industry, by those who've been in it long enough to state such a thing.

It fascinates me when I see people ask for opinions, and then balk about what they hear. Oh but wait, you *did* clearly state you would appreciate
all positive feedback

At least you're starting with an experienced OO rather than putting your own finances on the line. Hopefully you won't have too much downtime in that Hino, but I'm sure you also know all about that possibility.

As for DaveKC, I actually find him to be quite upbeat, altho he isn't one to sugarcoat something to make it look better than it is, at any given time.

Good luck and God Bless to you too! :)

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
Why is it that the people who are very good at vital critical analysis, an extremely important skill to have in business,always get dissed for it?Dave's never whinny and not really negative. he's always straight forward and matter of factual, i don't always agree on what he says but but he does look at the important things we all should be looking at.(that most over look).

Really it almost like people ask what should i do and you tell them the true and instead of saying something like thank you good things to keep an eye on they get pegged as being a meanie poopy head. Not cool!

Aaronrocker

Seasoned Expediter
One of the things that I have learned in this world is to stand by what you say. Although I didn't mean any disrespect to davekc, I throughly do not believe that the market is that terrible out there. According to my O/O it is a bit slower than it usually is for this time of year but since we are an "elite" unit, the freight is moving well at the time. What we have to understand is that being in business during a time like this shows that we all have the raw gut attitude of never giving up! That is a respect that I have earned for all of you. Business is the foundation of this country preferbably without government intervention. Keep on trucking and I will "promise" you that things will get better!

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
One of the things that I have learned in this world is to stand by what you say. Although I didn't mean any disrespect to davekc, I throughly do not believe that the market is that terrible out there. According to my O/O it is a bit slower than it usually is for this time of year but since we are an "elite" unit, the freight is moving well at the time. What we have to understand is that being in business during a time like this shows that we all have the raw gut attitude of never giving up! That is a respect that I have earned for all of you. Business is the foundation of this country preferbably without government intervention. Keep on trucking and I will "promise" you that things will get better!

Wow. How long have you known your new O/O? Long enough to put blind faith in his/her analysis. Being in the expediting business right now might prove nothing more than there are a lot of folks stuck with truck payments from which there is no escape.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
It has been my experience in life that someone who is still in the same profession after 24 years probably has a good idea of how to run their business.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
:DThank you for all who responded. It seems like everyone on here is a bunch of crybabies that didn't get their bottles. As for me I am not buying the truck.......instead I found an O/O to drive for and to team up with in an 08 Hino with a 96" loaded sleeper. I figure that it's a good start in case in the future I want to put a truck on. And as for davekc It seems like you never have anything positive to say. I have seen your posts in other threads and they are all doom and gloom. Has this business really hit you that hard? Maybe it's time to take your own advice and "buy an RV and tour the country."

No offense taken.
I think you may be confusing negativity with reality. In the span of three days you have went from buying a truck to driving for a owner that has all the freight. I am not sure why the original question was asked "which is the best company ect"?
That is why you received the responses that you did. I believe most would rather have a realistic assessment of their question, rather than a cheer from a pom-pom squad.
As far as all this "Elite" freight, I don't see one industry report that indicates that. But, I do think things will pick up for some.
One can always look at whether the "glass is half empty, or half full", but being naive can be a dangerous thing.
My assumption again would be that as a veteran, you would know that. That same school of thought would apply to teaming in a Hino. But that is another post.
And, BTW.........I am all in on the RV thing!:D

Aaronrocker

Seasoned Expediter
Ok everyone I know that this forum is going off topic now but I really don't care. What is so bad with Hino's? They are the truck version of Toyota this I know. Toyota has an excellent track record with their vehicles so what is so terrible with Hino. Throughout these forums I have head horror stories about the M2 102 as well. Our Hino 332 is one of the nicest trucks that I have driven. I have driven freightshakers, intertrashinals and wackmacks straight trucks. mmmmmmmk thats my rant for now..............drive safe!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Do a search on Hino trucks here and I believe you will have your answer.