Hello FedEx CC O/O

mac61

Seasoned Expediter
Last four years I’m attached with this forum as guest or as a member, always reading previous and current threads .now I make mind to enter expedite, But Still feeling not enough knowledge about FedEx CC,. FedEx CC Recruiter she gave me yearly grass income $45000/ for van/sprinter, and 1100 miles average per week, I’m confuse, How Drivers from Canada side they survive with average 1100 miles per week for fix loaded miles rate of $.85 ( Its true or not). Before Orientation (next week) any info or pm will help me to make and stand on my decision, (Specially requesting Canadian O/O). I’m from Milton Ontario, AZ with more than 2 years experience, with Fast Card.
Thanks in advance

Mac

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Last four years I’m attached with this forum as guest or as a member, always reading previous and current threads .now I make mind to enter expedite, But Still feeling not enough knowledge about FedEx CC,. FedEx CC Recruiter she gave me yearly grass income $45000/ for van/

Mac

They were quoting that same $45.000 21 years ago when I began. Turned out to be very accurate. But what about inflation? Expenses are very different, today.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Only $45,000 a year now???

Hell, a Panther recruiter was quoting me $80,000 to $100,000 a year for Cargo Vans 10 years ago.:rolleyes:

Best rule of thumb, take their quote, divide it by 2, and that should be a realistic figure.

mac61

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks redytrk & Brisco.
If 21 years ago same grass amount for a year, so how it’s a possible today cargo van/ sprinter o/o doing this job on 21 years previous rate ?

Mac

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Be sure to do the math before you sign up!
IF you get 1100 miles per week, every week, for say, 48 weeks per year, you'll 'gross' the $45000...... but there are a lot of deductions to subtract from that amount before you get to your income before taxes. It may work out that you will end up with so little that you will not have to pay any taxes at all.
Truck loan/lease (or amount saved for next one as it is not free), repairs, maintenance, permits/licenses, communications expense, internet, office expenses, truck insurance, tolls, worker insurance, fuel, bank charges including USD exchange charges, equipment, and the list can go on and on as long as you desire. In the end, it likely won't do a whole lot for improving your net worth in life. Some people also consider their living costs (food), but I figure you will have to eat no matter what your career choice.
OTOH it's a lifestyle, as they say. If you want to be out on the road, and be your own boss so to speak, and don't care for the typical punch clock routine, and aren't in a position where you MUST add to the family's reliable income.. you may be very happy.
If you have your AZ though, you'd make a lot more money by just being a driver for a transport company and getting paid hourly or by the mile.
Please keep in mind that 90% of the posts on here are not exactly relevant to us Canadians due to transportation laws. You will sit a lot more than the others because you will have to wait for a load back to Canada every time you get a load out, unlike most on here who can go infinitely from state to state and pick and choose where to go and never go home if they don't want to.

mac61

Seasoned Expediter
Pjjjjj
Thanks,
I really appreciated for your advice. Its easy math you can’t save, but hand to mouth is ok.

I would be glad to thanks for any input from any Canadian o/o with FedEx CC (especially Piper 1).

Thanks in advance.

Mac

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Please keep in mind that 90% of the posts on here are not exactly relevant to us Canadians due to transportation laws. You will sit a lot more than the others because you will have to wait for a load back to Canada every time you get a load out, unlike most on here who can go infinitely from state to state and pick and choose where to go and never go home if they don't want to.

?????

Are you saying that "Canadian" drivers, like OVM, cannot drive free willy here in the US doing Expedite loads? Is OVM restricted to 1 load from Canada into the US and can only do 1 load from the US back into Canada?

Just wondering because that's the way I'm reading/understanding this quote. Maybe I learned something new today. Please explain.

mac61

Seasoned Expediter
Hi
Brisco, you know well US expeditors have more ground for play, but Canadian has very limited.
And other thing I requested to Canadian O/O in that sense, what’s actual position in FedEx CC from their point of view.
How many average miles?
How much average grass income?
Mac

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Actually OVM is a US legal resident so he doesn't count with the Canadian/US thing.

With that said, I know a few Canadian drivers who do more than border crossings. The rule is a US driver can only cross and deliver but can't do intra-Canadian work, and the same goes for a Canadian driver. There isn't any rule I know of that prevents more than one load - I've done multiple drops inside Canada.

mac61

Seasoned Expediter
Greg334
Yes, you are right, now OVM is US resident, so that’s why he is doing interstate jobs (P/D).
But how you did in Canada?

Mac

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well I did well in Canada for a while, the speed thing and the border cost kind of took the fun out of it. There is a lot of work there for those who like to deal with it, but I guess in the last year I become more spoiled.

Still like the country and the food.

Now that they are going to tear up the Bridge to "fix" it, I don't think I will be crossing until it is done. The expansion is on hold, the coast guard has put a hold on signing off on it while the owner of the US side of the bridge has been told to tear out the gas pumps, the duty free place and a few other things, Canada has mentioned taking the Bridge through the courts to gain control of it, which may be a good thing.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Actually OVM is a US legal resident so he doesn't count with the Canadian/US thing.

With that said, I know a few Canadian drivers who do more than border crossings. The rule is a US driver can only cross and deliver but can't do intra-Canadian work, and the same goes for a Canadian driver. There isn't any rule I know of that prevents more than one load - I've done multiple drops inside Canada.

I guess I did learn something new tonight. Has this been discussed here before?

Are they strict on this? I mean, it's easy to understand. But, does say "Panther" only load Canadian drivers that brought a load in from Canada loads that are going back into Canada, or can they "give them a bone" and send them on a US load that will take them from their US delivery point to a load that will go back into Canada once their US load is off their truck?

I mean, I think it would kind of suck if that Canadian driver took a load from Montreal to Houston and would have to sit for days until another load back to Canada came available. Could Panther send them from Houston to Chicago with a load and then back into Canada with another load?? Or is it Canada to Houston and back to Canada only??

And, Vice-Versa?? A US driver takes load into Canada - a load in Canada - and then back into the US.

Interesting, very interesting. Never known of this before now.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
....... or can they "give them a bone" and send them on a US load that will take them from their US delivery point to a load that will go back into Canada once their US load is off their truck?
Would be illegal .....

I mean, I think it would kind of suck if that Canadian driver took a load from Montreal to Houston and would have to sit for days until another load back to Canada came available.
Ahhh .... yupper it would (and does)

Could Panther send them from Houston to Chicago with a load and then back into Canada with another load?
Not without gettin' their teats in the ringer .....

Or is it Canada to Houston and back to Canada only??
Correct - that's how it should be from a legal perspective (not saying that certain companies don't cheat)

And, Vice-Versa?? A US driver takes load into Canada - a load in Canada - and then back into the US.
If a US driver picks up a load in Canada, that load better be heading state-side .....

Well, ya learn sumptin' new every day ....

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I guess I did learn something new tonight. Has this been discussed here before?

Plug the word "cabotage" into the search function.

I mean, I think it would kind of suck if that Canadian driver took a load from Montreal to Houston and would have to sit for days until another load back to Canada came available.

Similar to an American driver taking a load from Buffalo to Flin Flon and waiting weeks or months for a load back to the States. Exceptions being direction of travel, reversal of origin and destination countries and driver domiciled countries. But the suck factor is the same.

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
Years ago when running LTL that was driver assist, had a Canadian driver tell me that it would be illegal for him to do the same. If he wanted to assist with the unloading of freight he would need a green card.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Here is a real world example.

I got a load out of Chicago going to Detroit for $2.25 a mile. I thought "great I don't want to go home" but money!

I get to the pickup, it is all hand loaded stuff. Small boxes that weight 30 pounds each. After I am loaded and everything is secure, I start the paper work only to discover it is all for some military base in Canada (yea I should have looked at it first).

So I call the agent, ask what the deal is and he says "you will not be taking into Canada, but picking it up and cross docking it for the driver to take it to Canada because the driver can not load it himself" - which made no sense at all until I realized No Green Card.

I got extra for the hand loading and unloading which bumped the per mile charge to $2.40 a mile or something like that.

So I get going, hit a snowstorm on the way back to the great gray cesspool. I arrive early as I try to do on any cross docking load only to find out that the guy will be late, he is in the same storm as I was.

He was leaving Chicago after I was loaded for some reason but instead of picking the stuff up at the place I loaded, he talked the agent into having me drive all the way there and load him near the bridge to make sure that I loaded his truck for him because he didn't want to get into trouble.