Health Insurance for Expediters; What do You See?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
NBC is reporting that 50-75% of the 14 million people buying insurance will receive cancellation notices within the next 12 months.

And the White House has known about this for THREE YEARS !

Here is the link to that NBC News story. Amazing. The more that becomes known about Obamacare as the program rolls out, the worse the program and its advocates look. Where are the success stories?

A comment made in the article is telling. A man whose insurance policy was taken away from him says, "I'm sitting here looking at this, thinking we ought to just pay the fine and just get insurance when we're sick,"

I belive millions wil arrive at that same decision, blowing up the assumption that enough healthy people will be insured and pay premiums to pay the claims of those who are sick.

Diane and I will do all we can to continue getting a goood health insurance plan through the private sector. As I said above, we are already paying a pretty penny for coverage we consider "good." And we know from the insurance company that our coverage meets Obamacare requirements, so we'll be able to keep it, for a while at least.

We don't want government subsidies that pay for insurance. That kind of money comes with strings attached and hoops to jump through. And, as we are seeing yet again, what the government tells you about its programs, you cannot believe.

Obama was very smart to push the impacts of Obamacare out beyond his election to his second term in office. If these impacts had been felt during his first term, he likely would have lost the 2012 election. He's losing support as people who voted for him feel the pain. Watch for politicians to distance themselves from Obamacare in the next election cycle.

As I contemplate the future, I hope that insurance companies will be mindful of the "luxury market" and offer plans that provide real coverage wherever in the world you happen to be if you find yourself in need of medical attention. Such plans were expensive before Obamacare and are likely to be more expensive in the future, but it is the kind of plan we want and are willing to pay for (within reason) so I hope they will be available one way or another.

What's up with the smaller networks the new plans are offering? Do people not travel for work? Do they not to to different states to visit realtives or take vacations?

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
that is exactly what I am saying....a program of this magnitude is going to take years and years of tinkering..it'll be in a state of constant change to some degree....all this whining and crying ...its a done deal...BOTH sides of the house wanted this and it is not going anywhere...learn to deal with it....STOP spreading the lies and misconceptions and learn to work with it....

Ok....what lies and misconceptions are being spread? So far the ones I have heard appear to be true.

Last edited:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Ok....what lies and misconceptions are being spread? So far the ones I have heard appear to be true.

There are tons of lies and misconceptions being spread but Obama has been doing that on almost everything. :cool:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There are tons of lies and misconceptions being spread but Obama has been doing that on almost everything. :cool:

Obama and his shills. It's the "Gimmiegoobers" and fools that are swallowing it, hook, line and sinker. Independent responsible people can see through it all.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Jeez folks, ya can't get on a new policy without giving up the old one.

But please understand that we don't want a new policy. The policy we have provides very good coverage and we want to keep it. Obamacare is causing the price of that policy to greatly increase, which we do not appreciate. The price increase is not because additional coverage and benefits are required, those were already in the policy, by our choice, when we took it out. The price increase is to help pay for the impacts of Obamacare, a program we do not support and one that we feel is financially unsustainable.

Money now going into health insurance is an expense that we would seek to pass on to our expediting customers if we were to remain in the business.

Last edited:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I didn't go looking. I just clicked on Google News to see what's happening and this jumped out. There's a link in paragraph 5 to a June/2010 blurb about people having to switch policies. Jeez folks, ya can't get on a new policy without giving up the old one.

Looks like you missed the point. People were told that they could keep the policy that they had if they wanted to but this administration has been lying and claiming the opposite when they knew it was not true.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I didn't go looking. I just clicked on Google News to see what's happening and this jumped out. There's a link in paragraph 5 to a June/2010 blurb about people having to switch policies. Jeez folks, ya can't get on a new policy without giving up the old one.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-obamacare-20131029,0,5695979.story#axzz2j9OGnWOT

Just in case you need the point explained over and over.

http://videos.nymag.com/video/If-You-Like-Your-Plan-Supercut#.UnAswnse62A.twitter

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
But please understand that we don't want a new policy. The policy we have provides very good coverage and we want to keep it. Obamacare is causing the price of that policy to greatly increase, which we do not appreciate.

Until now it wasn't even insurance, it was just the illusion of insurance. If you don't mind me asking, why do people on this forum gloss over that not insignificant fact?

They have been enormously successful. They have earned enormous profits for their shareholders. Don't misunderstand me, I'm in business, I dig profits, profits rock. But they have gotten their profits by providing the illusion of financial security. Sure you have insurance. Until you or your wife discovers a lump somewhere. And then the next thing you know you're cancelled and it's a matter of time before you lose your house and are forced into bankruptcy court. Just because it always happened to the other guy and not to you didn't make it right.

What we have now is the feds demanding that insurance really is. The illusion thing doesn't cut it any more. It's a contract now and insurance companies can't duck their end of it.

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
Just in case you need the point explained over and over.

Watch ""If You Like Your Plan..." Supercut" Video at New York Magazine

I get it. I do get it. And just because they all do it doesn't make it right. But if he had stood up and told the American people that the only way they can have REAL INSURANCE is to give up the pretend insurance that they're cozy and familiar with, the people would have objected, big time.

Is Obama wrong for being disingenuous? Yup. Do you feel better now? :) Is that how politics works? Yup.

Why is it that no one wants to delve into what a sham "insurance" used to be and how it ruined people's lives and how we might possibly be on the cusp of insurance that really is worth having?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Why is it that no one wants to delve into what a sham "insurance" used to be and how it ruined people's lives and how we might possibly be on the cusp of insurance that really is worth having?

Simple it wasn't a scam. Were there people that lost their insurance after they had a problem? Yes, but it was a very small issue. If it was a problem that even required attention then a law could have simply been put in place to fix it. Instead it was a bunch of lies and broken promises that are screwing over the entire country.

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
Simple it wasn't a scam. Were there people that lost their insurance after they had a problem? Yes, but it was a very small issue. If it was a problem that even required attention then a law could have simply been put in place to fix it. Instead it was a bunch of lies and broken promises that are screwing over the entire country.

"A very small issue" is probably a good way to look at it as long as it's someone else facing financial ruin and being forced from their house when clearly they already have enough on their plate.

But that does bring up a serious point that I've never heard anyone address properly - how many people got screwed by the insurance companies? Does anyone have any facts? If it's only a handful over many, many years I'd like to know. And if it was a significant percentage I'd like to know that as well.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
"A very small issue" is probably a good way to look at it as long as it's someone else facing financial ruin and being forced from their house when clearly they already have enough on their plate.

Change the entire medical industry and country for the worse or my mom having to declare bankruptcy? Sorry mom.

But that does bring up a serious point that I've never heard anyone address properly - how many people got screwed by the insurance companies? Does anyone have any facts? If it's only a handful over many, many years I'd like to know. And if it was a significant percentage I'd like to know that as well.

Let's see how many times it continues to happen under Obamacare when people stop paying their premiums because they are in the hospital instead of working.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you're so independent in your thinking why do you sound like Fox News? :)

I have been around a WHOLE lot longer than Fox News has been around. My wife and I have EARNED our way, paid our OWN insurance, house payments etc etc for more than 40 years, WITHOUT sucking off of the government teat.

We are not "gimmegoobers", "Welfare Rangers" or "Medicaid Mommas".

We are hard working honest people, who, until now, have been able to provide for our own health care needs. OUR policy, which suited our needs, which we could afford WAS OUTLAWED and now we can no longer afford insurance due to that ONE FACT and that ONE FACT ONLY!

We, as are millions of other Americans, are faced with so very BAD choices. Go bankrupt, lose our house, or buy insurance. It is now that basic.

OR

Have no insurance, be FINED, for not doing what we did before it was OUTLAWED, and risk my wife's health in the process. I don't take it to well when members of my families health and safety are threatened, no matter WHO it is that is threatening them.

Fox News my hind end. That was kinda of a smart butt remark for such a serious problem, worse when one considers that people's ability to survive is at stake.

Here I will break it down so the most ardent Marxist can understand it.

Obama, Obama Care, his supporters, the plans supporters, are a DIRECT THREAT to the health, safety, welfare and well being of millions of Americans.

Obama Care is BEYOND politics, it is an attack on millions of American's very LIVES! :mad:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

It would be hard to quantify an answer without knowing what "screwed by the insurance companies" means. Does it mean coverage not provided that wasn't paid for? Or...people kicked off a policy when they got sick? Could mean alot of things.
Will government intervention change that. Not really. Just trading a problem for another problem.
Healthcare would be decided by politicians not doctors based on age and chance of success.
Of course some call them "death panels" which may be harsh, but they will decide who and what kind of treatment people get.
Look at other socialized medicine and you have your answer.
Nothing has changed. Just a matter of moving money around. The poor will get screwed and get poorer and the rich will seek medical services outside of the government exchanges. It has already started.
So who is getting "screwed"? Nothing has really changed other than you will be paying more.
If one is on medicare wait until you see the wait times and services provided. That is if you can find a participating doctor. If in the exchanges, wait until you see those deductibles. Yep......for most, they will pay a monthly premium and have no real insurance. Especially with deductibles over 10 grand for many plans. Don't have the 10k...you have no insurance.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It would be hard to quantify an answer without knowing what "screwed by the insurance companies" means. Does it mean coverage not provided that wasn't paid for? Or...people kicked off a policy when they got sick? Could mean alot of things.
Will government intervention change that. Not really. Just trading a problem for another problem.
Healthcare would be decided by politicians not doctors based on age and chance of success.
Of course some call them "death panels" which may be harsh, but they will decide who and what kind of treatment people get.
Look at other socialized medicine and you have your answer.
Nothing has changed. Just a matter of moving money around. The poor will get screwed and get poorer and the rich will seek medical services outside of the government exchanges. It has already started.
So who is getting "screwed"? Nothing has really changed other than you will be paying more.
If one is on medicare wait until you see the wait times and services provided. That is if you can find a participating doctor. If in the exchanges, wait until you see those deductibles. Yep......for most, they will pay a monthly premium and have no real insurance. Especially with deductibles over 10 grand for many plans. Don't have the 10k...you have no insurance.

Really Dave...Death Panels?....I thought you were above that....you had death panels here....no insurance, no heart transplant...the heart would go to the person who was insured.....

I am with Wandering.....this is the first time I've been insured without paying an arm and a leg....the HIGH risk pool because under the old system insurance companies would not risk covering me as there would be NO profit for them...they'd let me die in the street...again death panel....NOT doctors but insurance folks....don't give me this crap about death panels....
Now I am insured with Wellmark/BC with a reasonable premium and a reasonable deductible...reasonable in my world. Now insured and paying my own way without being a drag on the system....thereare millions and millions more in my boat that are a little happier now the big bad insurance companies have been slapped down a notch....