Headlight Lenses

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Can plastic headlight lenses be buffed out with something like jewelers rouge? After 400,000 miles mine have become pitted and sandblasted.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Can plastic headlight lenses be buffed out with something like jewelers rouge? After 400,000 miles mine have become pitted and sandblasted.

Auto zone, advance Auto, O'Reillys all have them kits to buff them out....and it takes most out...used it

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There are also many kits available on the internet. One thing to keep in mind is to be sure to use a UV blocker after you work on them. From what I have read that "yellowing" of the lenses is caused by UV. It seems that the lenses come from the factory with an anti-UV coating on them. It wears off over time and improper lense cleaning.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just called my mechanic. I dropped my van off earlier this morning for a tune-up. He uses a 3-M process to restore headlight lenses at a cost of $90 for both headlights. Since my van is already there I told him to go ahead and do the headlights. What's a few more dollars. I will report on the results later.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Got my van back. The headlight lenses look like new. Hard to tell if there is any improvement in light output being as I only drove a few miles on city streets. But that, coupled with a new windshield and I may chuck my glasses.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
does your van have hid lights? if not maybe time to order some good after market bulbs. piaa comes to mind.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Mothers polish makes a kit,buffer goes in your drill,and comes with rubbing compound
I've seen places doing both headlights for 60 bucks

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
does your van have hid lights? if not maybe time to order some good after market bulbs. piaa comes to mind.

I don't want to spend the $500-$600 for HID lights. A few years ago I tried the Sylvania SilverStar replacement bulbs. The light beam was much whiter and lit up road markings and signs very well. The only draw back was a short life span. I burned out one after a couple of months. Bought a new 2-pack and replaced the dead bulb. Then the other original SilverStar fried. In about 5 months time I went through 4 bulbs at $17 per bulb. Light wise they are superior to regular halogen bulbs, but not worth the price for the short life span.

I have never run PIAA lamps in my headlights but have used them as replacement bulbs in my Hella fog lights.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A few years ago I tried the Sylvania SilverStar replacement bulbs. The light beam was much whiter and lit up road markings and signs very well. The only draw back was a short life span. I burned out one after a couple of months. Bought a new 2-pack and replaced the dead bulb. Then the other original SilverStar fried. In about 5 months time I went through 4 bulbs at $17 per bulb. Light wise they are superior to regular halogen bulbs, but not worth the price for the short life span.

If you try the SilverStar Ultra's they have a 12 month warranty. My Sprinter EATS headlights so I bought a set of these (well actually 2). When they burn out, pop in the spare, take the burnt one to any store, get a replacement which is now your new spare. Your headlight costs for the year are now limited to one set of bulbs. The warranty is right on the package, I have gotten warranty in the US even with my Canuck french littered packaging!

I keep 2 bulbs with me as they usually fail within days of each other and then can do the warranty thing at my leisure.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you try the SilverStar Ultra's they have a 12 month warranty. My Sprinter EATS headlights so I bought a set of these

What is the average life span of these bulbs for you?
Where did you purchase them?
Was the warranty honored at the place of purchase or did you have to deal with Sylvania?

I would like to go back to SilverStars. Maybe Sylvania made some longevity improvements to the SilverStar Ultras. If I can return and get a replacement at a store, WalMart would probably be the best choice.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I get Silverstar Ultras at AutoZone. Far brighter than the non-Ultra Silverstars. $50 for a pack of two bulbs. Each one lasts 4-5 months.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I get Silverstar Ultras at AutoZone

Have you returned a bulb under warranty? Did you deal with Sylvania or AutoZone?

Far brighter than the non-Ultra Silverstars.
I messed around with the original SilverStars about 4 years ago. Found them to be much brighter and whiter than the UltraVision. Can these new SilverStar Ultras really be that much brighter than the original SilverStars and still be legal? Joey, have you ever seen a Sprinter go super nova?

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What is the average life span of these bulbs for you?
Where did you purchase them?
Was the warranty honored at the place of purchase or did you have to deal with Sylvania?

I would like to go back to SilverStars. Maybe Sylvania made some longevity improvements to the SilverStar Ultras. If I can return and get a replacement at a store, WalMart would probably be the best choice.

The bulbs last about 3 months, like I said, my Sprinter eats bulbs..Silverstars or anything else.

I bought them at PartsSource up here in Canuckville but have returned bulbs to Wal-Mart, O'Reilleys and Auto Zones in the US. It says 12 months right on the package, so I keep that and then bring in the package. I also keep a photocopy of the original reciept with me but rarely get asked for it. As long as they sell the bulbs and you are replacing same for same it is super easy. I also run these bulbs in my GM trucks, warranty has not been an issue as they last well over a year in those applications.