Haz-mat regulations

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Depends on it if was actual HAZMAT, which it didn't appear to be. Everything they did to clean it up, including the cleanup crew wearing casual work shoes and not the standard boots of a HAZMAT team, indicates a non-HAZMAT water-based paint.
True but a 15 hour cleanup is still expensive . You can still see the paint on the highway about the 2 mm . As far as the attire of the crews , I've had HAZWOPER training and the lack of proper PPE show in photos of hazmat wrecks never ceases to amaze me . It is my belief that every licensed driver should have training to give them basic hazmat awareness . The average motorist doesn't have a clue what placards indicate and aren't aware of possible dangers if they stop at a hazmat accident scene . At the very least everyone should be taught to give 911 operators the UN numbers on placards of vehicles involved so responders know right away what they will be facing .

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I agree. I think the regular operator's license test should include everything that's on the CDL test, too. There's a wealth of information in the CDL testing that most motorists don't have a clue about. Things as simple as the Bozo's who park themselves in the center lane and go whatever speed they like, with the attitude that if someone wants to pass them, there's two other lanes in which to do it, never realizing that trucks are restricted from the left lane and it's illegal to pass on the right. There ya go.

Most motorists aren't even aware, don't even notice, whether or not a truck has placards, and even of they see the placards, they don't really know what it means. So when they call in an accident, they don't know to relay HAZMAT information. As a result, one of the key tools of a First Responder is a good pair of binoculars. :D

But if you at least know that it's a possible danger, you can take extra precautions. I know even driving down the road I'll view a truck a little differently, maybe pay a little more attention to it, depending on what HAZMAT Class is on board, even if I don't bother to look up the UN number to know precisely what it is. All Classes are serious, but some are a little more serious than others.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Things as simple as the Bozo's who park themselves in the center lane and go whatever speed they like, with the attitude that if someone wants to pass them, there's two other lanes in which to do it

Someone on here recently advocated that as a safe way to drive their big truck in a city, a CDL holder to boot!

I like your logic Turtle, but stupidity comes from the brain, regardless of the contents of the wallet:D.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
On an urban freeway with three or more lanes, the right lane is generally designated for local traffic (exiting and entering) and the other lanes are for through traffic.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I totally agree if there are THREE or more. I NEVER put myself or my equipment in danger riding the right lane in congestion, just to placate some "clown" that needs to go faster. To those of you that really, really need to know...there really are TWO other lanes. Thats a fact!!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I totally agree if there are THREE or more. I NEVER put myself or my equipment in danger riding the right lane in congestion, just to placate some "clown" that needs to go faster. To those of you that really, really need to know...there really are TWO other lanes. Thats a fact!!
Yes it is, just like it's also a fact that if you get passed on the right, duh, you're in the wrong lane. Don't take my word for it, ask a cop. :D

Where there are three or more lanes, usually in the city where it's congested, I think the left lane should be restricted to thru trucks and thru buses only. Motorists would be cryin' like a little girl, but it would absolutely increase the smooth flow of traffic even in rush hour. The biggest impediment to the smooth flow of heavy traffic is 4-wheelers changing lanes, especially those morons who think they right lane is always the fastest, always, and that's where they gotta be, right up until 1/4 mile before their Exit. It helps a lot on places where there are those Express Lanes, as those eliminate that kind of idiocy.

Lane Closed Ahead - Merge, is another one. If everyone went ahead and merged, the line of traffic would flow up to and through the construction smoothly, but some always have to scoot on up towards the front and then cut in. Every one that scoots on up adds an average of 30 seconds to everyone they just cut in front of. That's pretty dаmned rude.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Lane Closed Ahead - Merge, is another one. If everyone went ahead and merged, the line of traffic would flow up to and through the construction smoothly, but some always have to scoot on up towards the front and then cut in. Every one that scoots on up adds an average of 30 seconds to everyone they just cut in front of. That's pretty dаmned rude.

There's a real simple way to eliminate the chaos [and spoil the smug rudeness of those who cut in front]: "Use both lanes to merge point, then take your turn."
Can't understand why it isn't done everywhere.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There's a real simple way to eliminate the chaos [and spoil the smug rudeness of those who cut in front]: "Use both lanes to merge point, then take your turn."
Can't understand why it isn't done everywhere.

Both Minnesota and Wisconsin experimented with this a couple of years ago. A warning sign displayed a message that a lane was closed 2 miles ahead. As one got closer, the signs said lane closed ahead. Never stating which lane. The idea was that people would take turns merging. I think it worked to a degree. Regular users of that certain piece of highway and vehicles with a C.B. radio would know in advance which lane was closed.

I have not seen any published results of this experiment nor I have seen it implemented since then.

I personally move away from the closed lane as soon as possible. Often times before the first signs because I hear about the lane closure on the C.B. But sometimes the back-up starts before the first warning sign.