Have you cargo vanners tried hauling air freight?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
As a matter of fact I have $1M liability and $100K cargo that I pay for, the van is paid for, a couple of oil changes a month and very little repair costs. $2K / month for fuel, insurance and maintenance and gross about $6200 / month. That's pretty close to $1000 net / week.

Like xiggi said, that'll work for a while, but not long term. It can't. The maintenance will catch up to you. As an exercise, in order to get a better idea of what you're actually netting, either for real or on paper, pay yourself 35 cents a mile, no more, and the rest goes for expenses or in a separate bank account for the van. Then you'll see.

DRIVERDUDE

Seasoned Expediter
My van has 285K miles, uses no oil, doesn't leak anything and gets about 16.5 mpg, cold air, and was just inspected by my mechanic after he put O2 sensors on it. You guys just sound so negative. Maybe I've been lucky but I like the way things are going. I paid less than $3500 for this van and spent probably $2500 on repairs other than regular maintenance so I think if it died tomorrow (which it won't)I've gotten my money out of it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You guys just sound so negative.
That's because we're being honest instead of telling you what you want to hear. Face it, you're putting 3 years worth of miles and wear and tear on the van in a year, so you'll be doing roughly three years worth of maintenance every year. That's the reality and there's no getting around it. If you don't plan for it, you may get your money out of the van, but you certainly won't get out of the van what it's worth or what you could have. A good craftsman takes care of his tools, treats them like an asset rather than a consumable.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
My van has 285K miles, uses no oil, doesn't leak anything and gets about 16.5 mpg, cold air, and was just inspected by my mechanic after he put O2 sensors on it. You guys just sound so negative. Maybe I've been lucky but I like the way things are going. I paid less than $3500 for this van and spent probably $2500 on repairs other than regular maintenance so I think if it died tomorrow (which it won't)I've gotten my money out of it.

Okay...you know it all... and us with years & years of experience know nothing...you will see... How many more miles do you think you'll get out of that transmission and they don't rebuild themselves for free..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
But Turtle...that is the new business model. Buy a cheap van, run it for what you can get until it drops, then move on to another van if you have saved any money...or a new adventure if you haven't.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We are not being negative at all just honest. This forum is here to help people make informed decisions so we like having the big picture. I have said if it works for you that's great. Going by your figures fuel alone has to be at least 500.00 a week.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
But Turtle...that is the new business model. Buy a cheap van, run it for what you can get until it drops, then move on to another van if you have saved any money...or a new adventure if you haven't.

Proper maintenance is cheaper..cheap van..cheap rates..

Last edited:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Proper maintenance is cheaper..

Depends on how you choose to look at it. He can run that van until it drops and walk away if he wants. It's not a business model I want to do, but he can do it if he chooses. It's definitely a short term plan, but it is what a lot of people are doing. It is why rates are in the toilet also. Maybe all the cheap vans will wear out and disappear soon?

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Depends on how you choose to look at it. He can run that van until it drops and walk away if he wants. It's not a business model I want to do, but he can do it if he chooses. It's definitely a short term plan, but it is what a lot of people are doing. It is why rates are in the toilet also. Maybe all the cheap vans will wear out and disappear soon?

I sure hope so!!!

DRIVERDUDE

Seasoned Expediter
I'm not a rookie by any means. I've been doing this for over 9 years. Vans are a depreciating asset. A new one loses value the minute you drive it off the lot. I understand the cost of repairs and everything else about the expediting business. I don't like living in my van and hanging out in truck stops for days at a time. I read your posts and see how you get stuck in places far from home. This is working for me, so I'll continue doing it this way. By the way my fuel costs average $350-400.00 / week not $500. I bought a brand new Ford 350 diesel and the cost to run it was a lot more than my gas burner. $3600 just for a turbo that blew up 13,000 miles out of warranty. Until something better comes along I'll continue doing this. I only run the southeast so it makes it easier to do it this way.

Reactions: RedBird

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Was the blown turbo from lack of maintenance? Too easy not to ask.:cool:
With 13k on the clock, should be under warranty.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
PS: Listen to these guys in here on expense advice, it works.................now if you have a pension coming in and one is doing expediting for fun, that's another story.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Yeah, it's loaded miles. I do prefer being home more than sleeping in my van. I'm 60 and I do this just to stay busy.

That's the other problem....a lot of hobby expediters...you most likely have other income sources...so for us doing this as our full Income...the hobby expediters run for less than I would ever...in turn driving the rates down..

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Boy, the guy told you all that he runs for 1.25 a mile. He also said that he clears a grand a week after fuel. So even if the guy puts five hundred of that weekly money away for maintenance, breakdowns, and vehicle replacement, he is still averaging 500 dollars a week take home. That's not bad at all considering that fact that he gets to sleep in his own bed at night. He also doesn't have to sit at the truck stops day and night praying for a load. Why do you guys have to pick apart everything that someone else does? I think you all simply have too much time on your hands, and sitting in the driver seat staring out the front windshield has made a few of you guys batty in the head!

Any ways, why would you worry about this guy taking your job? Air freight is a completely different animal from traditional expedite. You have to have a professional attitude and patience when you are moving air freight on a consistent basis. I know, I used to do it out here in California. Oh, and air freight generally pays a lot more than regular expedite freight pays. I doubt drivers who are moving air freight are doing it at a reduced rate. It's not like automotive freight. You guys are a trip. No one can ever do anything right in your eyes.

I owned a company and figured out all there is to know about this industry and haters would come on here and bash me for every little detail. You guys drive a glorified delivery vehicle. Anyone can get your job if they have a cargo van and a couple of bucks. If you want a job that has stricter requirements for new hires, get a college education and get a real job. This man figured out how to tailor expedite to fit into his lifestyle. The man is a step above the average cargo van driver sitting in the Flying J parking lot. I'll post this and sit here clicking the refresh button until someone attacks me for sticking up for a fellow expediter. lol

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I make a minimum of $1.25 / mile

One important point in all this is the OP isn't hauling cheap freight, at least as far as many are concerned. He's getting $1.25 a mile and more than $1.25 a mile sometimes. I'm sure some are making more on van freight but I'm sure far more make less than that per mile than those who make more than that. He chooses to go out and back but if he ran like most he'd be making money that most only wish they were making.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Wow, I haven't been attacked yet. Yeah, I rarely saw 1.25 a loaded mile in my cargo van when I was booking my own loads off Sylectus and other load boards. I'd love to see the haters post their average rate per mile and last years 1099 on this forum so that we can see what they are making. That's why I don't come on EO for serious matters anymore. It's a nice place to banter back and forth, but the haters make it impossible to do anything constructive on here. Carry on!