Have you cargo vanners tried hauling air freight?

DRIVERDUDE

Seasoned Expediter
I signed on with a couple of air freight companies in Atlanta and love it. I run a radius of 2-3 states surrounding GA I'm home most nights because I deadhead back home to pickup the next day. I make a minimum of $1.25 / mile and average $1200.00 to $1500.00 per week. I beats the pants off of being on the road weeks at a time. I usually average 4 runs per week sometimes more. I hear straight trucks do pretty well too.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
I signed on with a couple of air freight companies in Atlanta and love it. I run a radius of 2-3 states surrounding GA I'm home most nights because I deadhead back home to pickup the next day. I make a minimum of $1.25 / mile and average $1200.00 to $1500.00 per week. I beats the pants off of being on the road weeks at a time. I usually average 4 runs per week sometimes more. I hear straight trucks do pretty well too.

I'm glad you are happy that doesn't sound like a bad gig at all Sounds pretty good. You don't mention if that pay is all miles or just loaded miles. I myself could never run out and back unless I got paid both ways. I think most drivers on here do Air Freight whenever they can.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If being home at night is important to someone that could be an alright gig. I'm guessing your talking laded miles if so that would be hard to maintain long term.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

DRIVERDUDE

Seasoned Expediter
I net about 70-73% of my gross pay and I'm not hanging out at a Flying hook waiting on a run. If I'm waiting on a run, it's in front of my big screen tv at home.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is that loaded mile pay? Like I said if someone prefers to be home at night might work for a while.

DRIVERDUDE

Seasoned Expediter
Yeah, it's loaded miles. I do prefer being home more than sleeping in my van. I'm 60 and I do this just to stay busy.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
So really your running for .62 p/m..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Whew....I am glad he didn't say he was doing this for a living. .62 a mile would be painful if he was.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's 62.5 not 62 and it's also "a minimum of" so it sounds like rates sometimes go higher than that. It's no fortune but in a paid for van with an economy minded driver it makes expenses and then some and for some people it definitely beats making the same money saying welcome to walmart or would you like to supersize that. Nothing wrong with hearing a positive report.

As an aside, I love how some threads randomly appear in the main page. The title of this one, at least on my computer, is "Have you cargo vanners tried hauling air". :D Yeah, lots of us are... between our ears. :rolleyes:

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've pieced together a dedicated run 2 pick up and 5 drops, 210 miles 5 days a week leave my house at 9:30 am home by 4:30 pm pays $195.00 a day, so it can be done if you plan your work and work your plan

DRIVERDUDE

Seasoned Expediter
I average $1500 / week and after expenses I put about $1000 in my pocket, home most nights, and seldom work week-ends. I think it's a pretty good deal myself.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
What do you make per mile staying out for weeks at a time? Isn't it about .75 / mi.?
Would not leave the house for .75
90% of the time..1.00+..rarely out more than a week...I live in awesome area...so I get home ALOT..

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I average $1500 / week and after expenses I put about $1000 in my pocket, home most nights, and seldom work week-ends. I think it's a pretty good deal myself.

Your not actually putting $1,000 in your pocket....that vehicle WILL require maintenance..

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

It sounds like fuel cost is the only thing your subtracting as an expense. Its fine if you enjoy it and make it work but real costs help people reading options such as the one you suggest.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I would almost be willing to bet theres not a million liability figured in. I wonder if the company covers the cargo and liability.

DRIVERDUDE

Seasoned Expediter
As a matter of fact I have $1M liability and $100K cargo that I pay for, the van is paid for, a couple of oil changes a month and very little repair costs. $2K / month for fuel, insurance and maintenance and gross about $6200 / month. That's pretty close to $1000 net / week.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
As a matter of fact I have $1M liability and $100K cargo that I pay for, the van is paid for, a couple of oil changes a month and very little repair costs. $2K / month for fuel, insurance and maintenance and gross about $6200 / month. That's pretty close to $1000 net / week.

That's your maintenance costs for now. Don't fool yourself ....bigger more expensive parts WILL need replacing... as Turtle said...the 1/3 rule ALWAYS applies.. your just pocketing future maintenances funds..and calling it income..

Last edited: