Hauling Hazmat in CVs and Sprinters???

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Was just wondering, how many folks on here have hauled hazmat in your Cargo Vans and Sprinters???

Of the ones who have, did a MSDS come with the BOL???

Did you have a bulk head or sleeper unit seperating you from the cargo???

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Was just wondering, how many folks on here have hauled hazmat in your Cargo Vans and Sprinters???

Of the ones who have, did a MSDS come with the BOL???

Did you have a bulk head or sleeper unit seperating you from the cargo???

I ceased doing that long, long time ago. As a matter of fact, to make sure they don't force me to take any HM load, I dropped the HM endorsement.

Reactions: Omniservice

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
Have had my endorsement for almost 3 years all driving a van. I took one hazmat load about 2 months ago it was a forklift battery nothing to dangerous.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Paint, some cleanibg solutions...nothing over 1000 and no MSDS..and no logging, placards or bulkhead....

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've had paint, batteries and other benign things that cause fear in the minds of tree huggers. Once was enough to placard. No big deal.

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've had paint, batteries and other benign things that cause fear in the minds of tree huggers. Once was enough to placard. No big deal.

Scientist are studying the effects of tree huggers; worried that the tree's growth is being disrupted by blocking the sun and cutting off oxygen?!?!

Paint, some cleanibg solutions...nothing over 1000 and no MSDS..and no logging, placards or bulkhead....

Did it bother you not knowing what was in the cleaner (incase you were in an accident)??? Some cleaners are caustic and an inhalation hazard...

Have had my endorsement for almost 3 years all driving a van. I took one hazmat load about 2 months ago it was a forklift battery nothing to dangerous.

Speaking of batteries, see attached
093.jpg

I ceased doing that long, long time ago. As a matter of fact, to make sure they don't force me to take any HM load, I dropped the HM endorsement.

Nothing wrong with that... If you're not comfortable, don't do it... Always check you gut...

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I should have specified I was hauling Duracells for black Friday.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Originally Posted by chefdennis

hazmat wrote:

Did it bother you not knowing what was in the cleaner (incase you were in an accident)??? Some cleaners are caustic and an inhalation hazard...

Ahhh nope not at all.. As for inhaling caustic fumes, i have 2 really large 6 volt batteries sitting in the foot well in front of where the passenger seat use to sit. They are charged by the alternator as i drive down the road...not much more caustic the boiling battery acid.....and i breath the air in the van every day only have minor hazmat stuff in here a few times a yr, not worth any worryin on my part...and those batteries, they have been there in the same place in 2 different vans for almost 6 yrs...and the "max O2" test i took a few yrs back was just fine....

Last edited:
Reactions: Bodmarley

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nothing wrong with that... If you're not comfortable, don't do it... Always check you gut...

It became uncomfortable since I had two barrels of some corrosive stuff in my van. I must mention that the barrels weren't placed on pallets, but directly into my van. All the way from Detroit to KC.

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
Hauled 300 # of spices one time in the van, talk about an eye watering trip! That load should have come with a full face respirator lol.

Stay safe KG

Monty

Expert Expediter
I haul hazmat quite often ... mostly paint. I have even hauled "totes" in the vehicle, which requires a tanker endorsement, which I have.

I do have a bulkhead, Landstar demands it if you are to haul hazmat. And .. Landstar also requires you to have the hazmat endorsement, even if you refuse to haul it. Cockeyed company!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Cockeyed is also Panther. They will not put any HAZMAT on a van or Sprinter, mainly because of the fact that most van drivers don't have a clue about logging while placarded. But you know the stuff from Table 2? The stuff which doesn't require placarding at 1000 pounds or less? Panther won't put that on a cargo van, either, unless the driver has a HAZMAT endorsement, despite not needing a CDL or HAZMAT endorsement to haul it.

The Landstar bulkhead requirement for HAZMAT is a little odd, though. While it's certainly safer to have a bulkhead than to not have one, anything that is prohibited from being carried in the cab of a truck (most poisons, inhalation hazards, etc.) is also prohibited from being carried in a cargo van, bulkhead or no bulkhead, as the entire van is the cab.

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hauled 300 # of spices one time in the van, talk about an eye watering trip! That load should have come with a full face respirator lol.

Like this comment... Do you know there are some soda ingredients/flavorings that are the most hazardous - auto ignite/self-combustible/air reactive - now that's something to ponder on?!?!?!

I haul hazmat quite often ... mostly paint. I have even hauled "totes" in the vehicle, which requires a tanker endorsement, which I have.

Is that a Landstar requirement??? Have not seen that in the regs for hauling totes...

I do have a bulkhead, Landstar demands it if you are to haul hazmat. And .. Landstar also requires you to have the hazmat endorsement, even if you refuse to haul it. Cockeyed company!

Landstar was one of our clients in the midwest...

Cockeyed is also Panther. They will not put any HAZMAT on a van or Sprinter, mainly because of the fact that most van drivers don't have a clue about logging while placarded. But you know the stuff from Table 2? The stuff which doesn't require placarding at 1000 pounds or less? Panther won't put that on a cargo van, either, unless the driver has a HAZMAT endorsement, despite not needing a CDL or HAZMAT endorsement to haul it.

The Landstar bulkhead requirement for HAZMAT is a little odd, though. While it's certainly safer to have a bulkhead than to not have one, anything that is prohibited from being carried in the cab of a truck (most poisons, inhalation hazards, etc.) is also prohibited from being carried in a cargo van, bulkhead or no bulkhead, as the entire van is the cab.

Turtle, this was the whole idea/thought process behind my thread...

By the way, is "Turtle Wax" considered a Hazardous Material???

Thanks Everyone for all the replies,
Hazmat

"Saving the World, One Spill at a Time"

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
It's been yrs since i ran Canada,so this info may be dated.You cannot take any amount across the Ambas bridge,i mean not one box of paint.I think they have a ferry, but i was always paid to go to the Blue Water and cross there.I have my endorsment and get some paint every once and awhile,no bulkhead,etrack on walls and floor.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You can't take one box of paint across the Ambassador Bridge? What about 55 gallon drums of paint? Or one-gallon or five-gallon containers of paint? You can take those across the bridge. I've done it many times.

I think you mean to say that you cannot take any amount of HAZMAT (Hazardous Material) across the bridge, which is true.

It is also true that if the load does not require placarding, then it's not HAZMAT.

HAZMAT is defined and classified as material determined by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous, AND, is listed on the Table of Hazardous Materials, AND, is in a quantity which requires placarding. Must be all three, not one or two of those. All three.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
When I was a cargo van O/O, I hauled placarded hazmat. Yes, there was a bulkhead in the van, and the shipper provided the MSDS [and the placards].

Monty

Expert Expediter
I could look it up, but I'll just wing it on the totes .... seems the regulation states any container capable of 118 gallons, or more, of a placarded material will require a tanker endorsement.

If no one has answered your question by morning .. I'll search it out.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I could look it up, but I'll just wing it on the totes .... seems the regulation states any container capable of 118 gallons, or more, of a placarded material will require a tanker endorsement.

If no one has answered your question by morning .. I'll search it out.
I think you'll find that it's more than 119 gallons, but also only if the aggregate rated capacity of the tote or totes (Intermediate Bulk Containers, or IBC, usually 275, 330, or 500 gallon capacity) is 1000 gallons or more. So a single tote wouldn't require the tanker endorsement.
HAZMAT placarding doesn't factor into the requirement for the tanker endorsement.

The FMCSA changed the regulation last year (goes into effect July 8[SUP]th[/SUP] of this year) in direct response to a petition led by the Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA), but despite the petition explicitly noting that individual portable tanks under 1,000 gallons, even if part of an aggregate shipment including more than 1,000 total gallons of capacity, should not trigger the need for a tank endorsement on a commercial driver’s license, the rule was worded to include IBCs.

The new regulation is:
Tank vehicle means any commercial motor vehicle that is designed to transport any liquid or gaseous materials within a tank or tanks having an individual rated capacity of more than 119 gallons and an aggregate rated capacity of 1,000 gallons or more that is either permanently or temporarily attached to the vehicle or the chassis. A commercial motor vehicle transporting an empty storage container tank, not designed for transportation, with a rated capacity of 1,000 gallons or more that is temporarily attached to a flatbed trailer is not considered a tank vehicle.
It is overly broad and the FMCSA is revisiting the rule. One of the biggest problems with the current rule is that it also covers empty and residual totes if the aggregate capacity is 1000 gallons or more. The proposed definition changes will exempt the empties, and will possibly exclude totes and other IBCs entirely unless the aggregate amount hauled (instead of aggregate capacity) exceeds 1000 gallons.

But the way it stands at the moment (as of July 8[SUP]th[/SUP]), you don't need a tanker endorsement to haul totes, as long as the total capacity of all of the totes is under 1000 gallons. That's not a problem for most van or Sprinter drivers, but it could be a problem with the bigger trucks.

Monty

Expert Expediter
I agree with you Turtle that the regulation is muddy, and unclear. I also knew they were going to revisit it. However, Landstar did require a tanker endorsement for me to haul 2 empty totes. And the van had to have BOTH hazard class placards on it. Had they been on an open flatbed, the placards on the tote it's self would have been sufficient.

I called FMCSA when I hauled them a few months back and received this as an answer: (paraphrasing) "Tanker endorsement because .... of the surge factor, one untrained in tankers might be surprised when the liquid moved around." Or something to that affect. But the totes paid well! So I took them.

Monty

Expert Expediter
Well, this was timely .. from Landstar's website ....

TANK VEHICLE ENDORSEMENT INFORMATION
UPDATE – MAY 24, 2012

FMCSA clarifies definition of “tank vehicle”—addresses IBCs (Intermediate Bulk
Container), empty & residue tanks and defines “temporarily attached” *

Tank vehicle includes and tank endorsement required for:
 Tank with a rated capacity of 1,000 gallons or more

 Individual loaded tanks, totes, IBCs, with capacity greater than 119 gallons
and a combined aggregate of 1,000 gallons or more in or on the vehicle

Not covered in the definition of “tank vehicle”:

 Empty tanks/totes/IBCs when manifested on the bill of lading as either
empty or as residue

 Empty storage tanks not designed for transportation cargo in commerce

*Temporarily attached means cargo that is secured by bolts, straps, chains,
blocking and bracing

If you haul freight requiring a tank endorsement

 Failure to have tank endorsement when hauling this freight = 30 CSA points

 Failure to have tank endorsement is an out of service violation requiring a
repower of shipment with a qualified operator

 Failure to have tank endorsement can carry costly fines

Example requiring endorsement:

If a motor vehicle has 10 tanks (totes
or IBCs) which each have 120 gallons of product for a total aggregate of
1200 gallons on the vehicle, a tank vehicle endorsement is required.

They also provide this link to the regulation:

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2012-05-24/pdf/2012-12692.pdf