Has Anyone Met a Hobby Expediter?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
There is sometimes talk about hobby expediters here in the Open Forum. They sometimes get blammed for driving freight prices down. They get criticized for not being "real" expediters who are in the business to make money. They get criticized for taking loads away from other expediters who, unlike the hobby expediters, actually need the money the load would pay.

The curious thing is, Diane and I have never met one on the road. Nor have we heard from one by telephone or e-mail, or talked to one as we worked the EO booth at the truck show. As much as we enjoy and talk about the paid tourist aspects of the business, and with the good number of expediters we have met, it strikes us strange that we have yet to meet a hobby expediter.

Presumably, "hobby expediter" means someone who is not in the business for the money but for the fun alone; someone who does not need to succeed financially as an expediter to enjoy the other aspects of the trade.

My question is, has anyone actually met a hobby expediter? Hobby expediters ... are they real or imagined?

miguy1957

Expert Expediter
I have met a number of drivers that are retired from Gm,Ford etc. After working at a place like that for 30+ years making good money and what they draw on their retirement I cant see them needing the money to bad. So would you consider them to be Hobby Expediters??
________
AlisAxx

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Quite a few over the years. Primarily folks that are retired and or have a second income or pension. Many don't have the resources for the high dollar RV, so they choose this as a alternative. Not uncommon at all. Many of these same folks don't have to expedite at all. Or at least not for financial reasons.
I quess the wife and I would fall into that catagory?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I met one guy once was retired from the auto industry and was a manager had 2 homes in the UP of Mi...his Sprinter was fully laid out and factory built...it had all the toys professionally installed....he had no wife, no ties.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Yes, I remember one gentleman in particular. He was retired, his important thing was to see the country. He really wanted to be the quinticential paid tourist, so if the load went somewhere he wanted to go... and as long as it paid enough to cover his fuel, and maybe a couple bucks in his pocket, he took it... ie.. under a buck a mile.. no prob.

He always said he'd rather roll on a <dollar a mile run than sit waiting.

Dale

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
ya ,met one retired, military, wife was a executive for a fairly large company...gave him something to do and got him out of the house for a couple weeks a month, and all of the black tie parties ...

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have met plenty of hobby expediters. But sometimes after a few years of all night driving in bad weather they look for another hobby.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
[Social Security was designed with a Two Fold solution in mind, the second one was to get older workers to Retire and let the Young new Work Force have a chance at making a Start.

Now lets see, one recieves SS, Pension from possibly the Big Three or Elsewhere, while those trying (no fault of there own they born in the 60s, or 70s) trying to eek out a living while the retiree is recieving (can't blame them though) SS, plus a pension, and doing this just for a buck a mile just to see the Country.

So much for making a living let alone trying even harder staying out longer just to Compete.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I have met a lot of them, many former autoworkers who need the money because they spent their savings on things for the trailer, boat, race car, vacations, trips to where ever and between the credit cards and all the other bills, even with their $2100 or more a month, they can't make ends meet.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Based on these responses I have to wonder Phil if you may be talking to a much different crowd?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Now Dave, I am not saying Phil belongs to the exclusive RVer's club but I did meet a FedEx couple who were with two other RVer's at one truck stop and they all looked down on me and my truck, would not even say hello. I thought it was me and my lack of proper WG appearance and the lack of a new truck that was the cause, until another little FL70 came in and they did the same thing to the girl driving it.

Maybe he is trying to talk to them?

I just don't know but in his defense, at least Phil talked to me and others.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
or super truckers?

Have you met a super trucker before? Sitting at the EO booth have you ever had someone introduce themself as a super trucker? I've never met anyone who admits to being a super trucker, but I don't think that means they don't exist.

I've read enough ATeam threads to figure that this is supposed to be a conversation starter, but this time I'm not sure which direction the discussion is supposed to go.

As for hobby drivers I think they provide a value if the companies can find a way to integrate them. The fringe areas where a company is trying to build up a customer base is an ideal place to position someone who doesn't really care if they move that fast.

As for myself, since I have an alternate career, some may consider me a hobbist. I don't consider myself a hobby expediter, so i guess you still haven't met one Phil.

eb

Reactions: 1 person

charlee

Seasoned Expediter
Yep...met a couple that drove for C&M I think it was that actually HAD a rv designed for carrying motorcycles in the back.....used it to haul expedited freight to pay for the fuel for trips they wanted to take. Very nice couple.

-charlotte

M A WEBSTER

Expert Expediter
You're forgetting the picture here. A hobbist is setting in a truck stop, you're setting there beside him. A load offer comes over his the QC. 350mi to Detroit. Heck he doen't want it turns it down. BINGO the load is offered to you, Because he didn't the money or load.So you win. Now he's still setting in the same truck stop,you've droped your load and already been another load. Maybe to a better area. I HAD A RETIREMENT WHEN I WAS A EXPEPITER SO THERE WAS A LOT OF TIMES I TURNED DOWN LOADS TO AREAS WHERE I DIDN'T WANT TO GO. THEREFOR HELPED ANOTHER DRIVER TO MAKE A FEW BUCKS. (UN LIKE WELFARE RECEIVER'S WE OWE YOU NOTHING) HAVE A GREAT DAY AND BE SAFE OUT THERE ON THEV ROAD

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If "hobbyist" means they're expediting for reasons other than supporting themselves and/or a family, I've met several. Most were retired & driving a cargo van. I don't begrudge them, either - they have as much right to expedite as any of us, whatever their reason.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Yep... ppl have as much right to work as any of us. Even if it's taking work away from us, and they don't need it.

Meanwhile, the ppl who choose not to work, and instead collect welfare, also take work away from us because our taxes are higher to support them.

What a selfish ppl we've turned out to be.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Yep... ppl have as much right to work as any of us. Even if it's taking work away from us, and they don't need it.

Meanwhile, the ppl who choose not to work, and instead collect welfare, also take work away from us because our taxes are higher to support them.

What a selfish ppl we've turned out to be.

I'm confused - what are you saying, here?:confused: