Has anybody seen this van?

seekerman

Expert Expediter
Has anybody seen, owned, or know who owned this 2004 Freightliner van. Reason I ask, I'm flying out to see this van this morning and it is so uniqely upfitted, if any body has they would know it. It was purchased in Illinois and that is where it has ended up. If anybody knows, please leave a phone number so that I can call them to see what the story is on the van and before I make what might be a costly mistake. Please see the attachments. Thanks guys.

08FD507C-FED0-4B8C-BDF1-040A4FE94398_1.jpg

08FD507C-FED0-4B8C-BDF1-040A4FE94398_11.jpg

08FD507C-FED0-4B8C-BDF1-040A4FE94398_13.jpg

08FD507C-FED0-4B8C-BDF1-040A4FE94398_16.jpg

08FD507C-FED0-4B8C-BDF1-040A4FE94398_8.jpg

AutonomyRex

Seasoned Expediter
If you already purchased it, isn't it a bit late to ask? Or am I reading you wrong? You said it was purchased and ended up in Ill...?????

Not a sprinter driver, but sure has alot of heavy looking shelving/cabinets....nice no doubt, but I read that sprinter drivers like to carry about 2500-3000# if I recall. What about the cargo area...where the money is made....any pics of that?

What did the seller have to say?

Good Luck
A-Rex

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Looks like one of the Midwest Upfitters vans, or at least a very good copy of what they were doing a while back in 2004 and 2005. They do good work, but it adds about eight grand to the price. Maybe it's a good deal at this point.

I'd want to see meticulous maintenance records. And I'd want to know what it weighs with a full tank of fuel. Add 200-300 pounds for personal stuff and securements, then add your weight to that, and if it totals more than 6550 pounds it will be of limited use to most carriers, because that'll leave 2000 pounds or less for cargo.

I read it as it was purchased from a dealer in IL, and now it's for sale somewhere else in IL.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I am with Turtle, looks like an older Midwest Conversion, there are more then a few of them on the road. I know they are sill in busines and do 'upscale" sprinters, but not sure if they still do those sleeper units...And yea it looks heavy....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That is, or at least was, the big knock on Midwest conversions, that they are too heavy. At least for the 04 and 05 models, I don't know what adjustments they have made since then. But those from 04 and 05 generally left people with about 1500-1600 pounds for cargo, depending on additional weight they placed into the van (clothes, food, driver and/or passenger).

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Looks Great .
Looks Heavy.
Could be .... or not ......

I used cabinet grade-grade 3/4" oak plywood to build my bunk .... I was surprised at how light it was compared to particle board and other stuff (OSB, regular BC plywood)

Dunno why exactly that was .... but it surprised the heck out of me ... ;)

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Excellent find, Chef. That blue poofy stuff is what threw me, which is why I said, "..or at least a very good copy of what they were doing..." because IIRC the Midwest interiors were mostly gray and didn't have external shore power hookups (on most of them).

Same problem with the Bentz upfits on the weight, tho.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Ok as I look at the OP pictures, these are NOT the same vans, but id be willing to bet the same upfitter....

seekerman

Expert Expediter
Thanks guys. I bought the van after excruciating and prolonged contemplation after having it checked out at both a dodge dealer and a mercedes shop. It's got some miles on it but after the meticulous inspection by the mercedes guy I felt I knew what I had and hopefully I can deal with it. It is in fact a Bentz conversion. Weight with a driver and a full tank of diesel is 5,940, leaving 2,610 for cargo. Considering another 100 lbs for misc I believe it will still leave me with weight space for some good loads. What ya'll think?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
It is in fact a Bentz conversion. Weight with a driver and a full tank of diesel is 5,940, leaving 2,610 for cargo. Considering another 100 lbs for misc I believe it will still leave me with weight space for some good loads. What ya'll think?

Did you weigh it?

I mean actually go to a cat scale and get a ticket?

I helped an owner with a Bentz conversion and when I saw the ticket, it was 6345 and that was with one battery and no personal stuff.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You should be OK with that van, assuming that it's actually been weighed and you have that much for cargo. Even 2000 for cargo is really enough. Count on adding anywhere from 100-300 pounds for personal stuff, tho. Clothing and food and paper plates and stuff can add more than you think.

seekerman

Expert Expediter
Yep. I went to a cat scale and got a ticket. Weight includes the upfit, a xantrex inverter, tv, microwave, refrigerator, marine battery, full tank of gas, and me. I actually had it weighed twice. I asked the folks I bought it from to take it to a scale and have it weighed before I went to look at the vehicle. I saw their ticket and it was my scale weight minus the full tank of diesel I had when I weighed it.
I was surprised. I will add some weight when I add the rest of my personal stuff, but I can't imagine that it will be more than another 100 lbs.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The weight creeps up over time. Add this gizmo or that winter coat, maybe a few extra sheets and blankets. That's why I weigh mine at least twice a year. Nearly a year ago I added a VuQube satellite dish, TV and DVR receiver. Not much, but it adds up. Buy a t-shirt here, pair of shoes there. All I'm saying is keep an eye on it over time. :)

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Wow, I'm surprised but glad for you.

Imagine if that was a 3500 with 9900 gvw?

3960 lbs of cargo.