Hahahahaha!!!

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Just got off the phone with Landstar Logistics, trying to get two loads.

Load#1 Chicago to Brooklyn: pu today, del tomorrow
Load#2 Chicago to Bethesda, MD: pu today, del Thursday

I was going to bid $2000 for the two of them. Decent price, considering two pu and drops - all in major cities. That also gave me room to haggle.

She told me $200 for the Bethesda one. Ok... LTL, I understand. Let's see what Brooklyn does, seeing that it's a 'get er there quick' jobbie (expedite). "We're giving $200 for the Brooklyn one."

"HAHAHAHA!!! Nah... can't do that.", I told her. "Would you like the Bethesda one?" she asked. "Sorry... I wanted them together."

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

If I didn't laugh, I'd cry!

aileron

Expert Expediter
Just got off the phone with Landstar Logistics, trying to get two loads.

Load#1 Chicago to Brooklyn: pu today, del tomorrow
Load#2 Chicago to Bethesda, MD: pu today, del Thursday

I was going to bid $2000 for the two of them. Decent price, considering two pu and drops - all in major cities. That also gave me room to haggle.

She told me $200 for the Bethesda one. Ok... LTL, I understand. Let's see what Brooklyn does, seeing that it's a 'get er there quick' jobbie (expedite). "We're giving $200 for the Brooklyn one."

"HAHAHAHA!!! Nah... can't do that.", I told her. "Would you like the Bethesda one?" she asked. "Sorry... I wanted them together."

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

If I didn't laugh, I'd cry!

Sad part is that someone will do it for that amount. If nobody would do it, they would pay more. Stinks.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
:eek: Unbelievable! I was looking on the load boards also and that is what I was seeing. How does a shipper expect to ship, for instance, 5000 pds of freight - over-night for a couple hundred dollars! Makes ya want to tell them to call the post office and see if they will do it for that ridiculous price! :eek:

gjmcclain

Not a Member
Hawk -

Way to refuse taking those BS loads for BS rates!

Now if everyone else would follow that lead we would see some positive changes for OUR side.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
How does a shipper expect to ship, for instance, 5000 pds of freight - over-night for a couple hundred dollars!

Because with 35 feet of space being used in a 53 foot trailer, you have room to add more (18 feet to be exact) and that little amount adds up.

I can't figure out why everyone is still thinking inside a box.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That outside the box may be expanding. Saw a expedite reefer load go out of Chicago for 80 CPM.:eek:
Load went to NJ. A whooping $630
10 skids @ 11,400lbs
Folks better hold off on those $150K reefer wagons.

miker

Seasoned Expediter
Because with 35 feet of space being used in a 53 foot trailer, you have room to add more (18 feet to be exact) and that little amount adds up.

I can't figure out why everyone is still thinking inside a box.

you are correct Greg- if we don't adapt with things and think of every way possible , utilize all opportunities to make it work then we better just quit, we have to be as pro active as possible in these times.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think there used to be...at a few places but then everyone jumped in the pool and the water got dirty.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I think there used to be...at a few places but then everyone jumped in the pool and the water got dirty.

It wasn't that they jumped in the pool, but what they did once they got in the water. That's not a baby ruth bar you see floating by.

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
I called on 2 loads from the east coast paying $0.59 per mile for 40,000+ lbs loads. Are there really people enough stupid enough to haul these loads. In a way i sure hope so if enough people haul these loads they will go out of business faster leaving fewer trucks out there to cover loads and the rates will have to come up. It cost me less to come off of the east coast empty than it would have to pull a load. By the way the loads would have put me on toll roads 755 miles for $450.00 and you know full well that the broker got $2.50 to $3.00 per mile for that load

moose

Veteran Expediter
. In a way i sure hope so if enough people haul these loads they will go out of business faster leaving fewer trucks out there to cover loads and the rates will have to come up.

Sorry to blow your underwater bubble , but i don't see it happening ,
not in this economy where it is so easy to jump into the pool , and with so many peoples in need of an income .
you make it now , or you will not survive for the shiny days to come.

Moose.

Last edited:

hz909

Seasoned Expediter
...if enough people haul these loads they will go out of business faster...

The old truck and/or RV'ing segment are waiting for the newer truck owners in legitimate need of the income to go under due to the low rates.

The truck payment and/or income needing segment are waiting for those with old equipment to break down or legitimately retire.

Break Down vs Truck Payment

I once read if you stare into an abyss long enough, you'll have two abysses staring at each other.

The tie goes to the loser.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Right now brokers are between a rock and a hard place. Shippers don't want to pay very much and want to haggle with the broker on everything. "But it's only one skid...." The brokers sometimes can find a carrier to move it, but when the load numbers get too high for the truck, they panic. The freight just sits.

I've been home in Orlando for the last couple of weeks. Last Friday, my phone rang like crazy. When the brokers are panicking, they stop reading. I posted a straight truck and everyone was wanting 53's. Normally in FL you have 3 times as many trucks looking for a load as there is freight. Last week it flipflopped. Produce season has begun and all of the reefers and vented vans are taken. Carriers don't call a broker in this season. They just call the growers and get an automatic load at a good rate. Right now, the TL percentage here is 2x the freight as there are trucks to haul it. But some of these folks still don't get it.

I had one broker call me, looking for a straight truck. He had six skids, about 4000 lbs going to NJ. 1085 miles. I gave him a rate and he almost choked. "I can move that on a 53' trailer for 500 bucks, any day of the week. If it was that easy, then why was he calling me?

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
My bad. I said that load had six skids, but it actually had ten. It would've filled my truck, but he had no problem asking me to move it for less than .50 per mile.